Boston Solutions Incorporated - Cover

Boston Solutions Incorporated

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 27

With the end of the semester just around the corner, all of the college students in the area were under significant stress. The worst hit by that time of the year were the students about to graduate. On top of worrying about final exams, research papers, and homework, there was the matter of uncertain futures looming on the horizon. Those who were seeking employment and were without offers were desperate for anything to solve their employment problems. They were terrified that they would have to continue their education until an offer appeared. Students wishing to continue their educations and had not yet been accepted into a graduate school were fearful that they would have to get jobs.

The upshot of all of those concerns was that students began to flock to Solutions Incorporated in what seemed like an endless stream. Magus and Titus were booked solid with ten dollar consulting jobs. The average consultation required only fifteen minutes, although there were a few surprises that took a little longer.

While Magus and Titus were busy, Igor and Hagar were not. Most of their time was spent reading books affiliated with their passions. To an outside observer, watching the two rather large substantial men lost in reading with classical music playing in the background would have been an odd sight indeed.

The book of Shakespeare’s sonnets was open to one of Nestor’s favorites. He read it enjoying the feel of the words as he spoke them aloud. It seemed to him that poetry was enjoyed the most when spoken. Poets who strove for interesting plays on sounds, rhythms, and cadences were not served well by readers who just skimmed the surface of the poem looking only for meaning. He wondered who could silently read Poe’s great poem, ‘Bells.’

“When forty winters shall besiege thy brow, And dig deep trenches in thy beauty’s field, Thy youth’s proud livery so gazed on now, Will be a totter’d weed of small worth held,” Nestor read aloud. He grinned and said, “Talk about not growing old gracefully.”

Phil knocked on his door. Feeling a little irritation at the interruption to his reading, Nestor asked, “What is it?”

“There is something interesting about to happen over at Solutions Incorporated,” Phil said while watching how Nestor, with exaggerated care, marked his place in his book and set it on the little table by his chair. He understood exactly how Nestor felt about his books.

“What?” Nestor asked perking up a little.

His interest was real. He was seldom asked to do things of much substance. Even when his services were required, it was usually pretty boring; although, taking care of the women who pursued Titus did have its moments of excitement. There was nothing like finding a naked beauty queen knocking on the front door. He wondered what Stephen was about to ask him to do.

Phil smiled and said, “As you may know, Stephen is about to graduate from college. He’ll be starting law school soon.”

“I do know that,” Nestor said.

It was a frequent topic of conversation around the house. Although Stephen wouldn’t be graduating until the end of the summer semester, his entry into law school was often the subject of teasing. Even Nestor took opportunities to call Stephen an ambulance chaser wanna-be.

Phil said, “As you may know, Mel is graduating, too.”

Mel had taken the same course load every semester as Stephen. While his program was much more aggressive than hers and he was working, they were in a contest to see whose GPA would be the highest. Although no one said anything, everyone knew that Mel didn’t stand a chance.

“I know that,” Nestor said. “Why are you telling me things that I already know?”

Phil paused just long enough to irritate Nester before he said, “Mel has an appointment with Magus.”

“I didn’t know that,” Nestor said.

“Neither does Stephen,” Phil said with a broad grin.

“I wonder why she has an appointment with Magus,” Nestor mused aloud.

“There are so many possibilities, but one seems most likely,” Phil said.

“Wedding bells,” Nestor said rubbing his hands together excitedly. He could just imagine how Stephen would react.

“Exactly,” Phil said. “Stephen is about to find out what it means to be roped and branded.”

Nestor asked, “Just when is this appointment?”

“In just about ten minutes from now,” Phil answered.

“Let’s head over there,” Nestor said.

With little going on in the office at the moment and fully caught up on his schoolwork, Stephen was bored. He stepped out of his office and walked over to Irene’s desk. He asked, “Are there any appointments for me this afternoon?”

“None for you,” Irene said. She snickered.

Stephen frowned. He said, “I guess the end of school year rush is just about over.”

“Yes, it is,” Irene said with a grin.

“It sure seemed to be worse this year than last year,” Stephen said watching her closely. Something was fishy and this wasn’t Denmark.

With her grin getting ever larger, Irene said, “Magus dealt with most of the students last year. It was a whole lot better with the two of you here.”

“You look like you’re exceptionally pleased about something,” Stephen said.

“Not really,” Irene said. It was hard to stop grinning like an idiot.

Stephen studied Irene for a second and then asked, “Are you pregnant?”

“No,” Irene answered.

Phil and Nestor entered the office. Rather than stepping up to the desk, both men leaned against the wall and watched Stephen. When Stephen looked over at them, the pair smiled and waved at him without saying a word.

Stephen frowned and asked, “What’s up?”

“Nothing,” Phil said.

“Not a thing,” Nestor said sounding too innocent.

“Something is up,” Stephen said getting suspicious. Everyone looked a little too cheerful. He looked over at Irene and asked, “Where’s Magus?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close