Boston Solutions Incorporated - Cover

Boston Solutions Incorporated

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 24

The dining room table was set with place settings for six when Stephen sat down and looked across the table at Jake. Nestor was doing something in the living room while Cathy and Mel were in the kitchen working to put together a fancy meal. Noticing that Jake looked a little depressed, Stephen asked, “What’s up Jake?”

Jake answered, “I have girl trouble.”

“Is there a problem with Cathy?” Stephen asked looking in the direction of the kitchen. He thought things were going well with Cathy.

“No. She and Nestor are exclusive now. Her treatment is actually working out pretty well,” Jake said. Knowing that Stephen hadn’t done anything with Cathy since hooking up with Mel, he added, “She’s down to a couple times a week.”

“That’s good news, I guess. Isn’t it?” Stephen asked.

“It is very good news. I’m happy for her,” Jake said.

“Good,” Stephen said.

Jake said, “I’ve wanted to move on and get into a real relationship for some time now.”

“So that is good news. Now you can chase after the girl of your dreams so long as she isn’t too gorgeous,” Stephen said.

“I know,” Jake said fidgeting in his chair.

“So what is the problem?” Stephen asked noticing his housemate’s nervousness.

“There’s this girl...”

Stephen held up a hand and said, “Say no more. I’m glad to hear that you finally got your first brain groupie. You are an intelligent young man and it was only a matter of time. I know the problems you are facing. They can be relentless in their pursuit of you. If you need any help dealing with her, I’ll be glad to loan you Hagar.”

“It is not like that,” Jake said. His problem was of a slightly different nature.

“She’s gorgeous, I bet,” Stephen said. “My first groupie was a beauty contest winner. I bet yours is a supermodel.”

“She isn’t a supermodel,” Jake said. “She is more of a girl next door type. She’s got big breasts, wide hips, and long hair. She’s also wears granny glasses and has braces. She’s cute.”

“Granny glasses? That sounds kinky,” Stephen said teasing Jake.

Jake shrugged and said, “She needs them to read.”

Stephen said, “I take it that she is not a brain groupie.”

“That’s right.”

Stephen asked, “So what’s the problem?”

“I keep doing stupid things around her,” Jake said.

“Stupid things? Like what?”

Jake said, “Walking into things, dropping stuff, stuttering, and tripping.”

“That’s not stupid. That’s clumsy,” Stephen said.

“I also tried to ask her out on a dinner date. It didn’t go well,” Jake said looking everywhere except at Stephen.

Stephen asked, “How not well?”

Jake looked a little embarrassed. He answered, “I said that if she didn’t feel too fat that maybe we could do dinner sometime at the all you can eat buffet.”

“I bet that went over well,” Stephen said. He could just imagine saying something like that to Mel.

“She stormed off,” Jake said.

“At least she didn’t hit you,” Stephen said. “I would probably be sleeping in a coffin from now on if I were to say something like that to Mel.”

“She won’t even let me get near her now,” Jake said.

“That’s rough,” Stephen said.

Jake asked, “What can I do?”

“You keep your distance from her so that you don’t permanently turn stupid,” Stephen said offering the best advice he knew.

“That won’t do,” Jake said.

“Why not?”

Jake answer, “I want her. She’s smart, clever, funny, and built for making babies.”

“And you’re sure that she’s not gorgeous?” Stephen asked. He wondered how turning stupid around women who weren’t gorgeous worked. He was going to have to ask Magus about that.

“She turns me on even though she wouldn’t be asked to be a model,” Jake said. “I think she’s cute.”

Stephen asked, “What is her name?”

“Vivian Bonner,” Jake answered. “She goes by Vi, just like the Unix editing program. Isn’t that cute?”

“Real cute,” Stephen replied thinking Jake had it bad. “At least she isn’t nicknamed Vista.”

“Don’t even joke about that. No one would willingly be nicknamed after a Microsoft product. Any sane person would kill themselves first,” Jake said with a shiver of disgust at the idea.

“Where did you meet her?” Stephen asked.

“I met her in my advanced computer security class,” Jake said. He added, “I just can’t resist her. She could ask me for my username and password and I would give it to her.”

“That’s not good,” Stephen said.

“I know,” Jake said with a sigh. He asked, “What can I do?”

“Keep your distance from her,” Stephen said.

“I don’t want to,” Jake said with a sigh.

“I’ll have to think about it,” Stephen said.

“Oh, Stephen,” Mel’s dulcet voice rang out.

“What, dear?” Stephen asked.

Mel stuck her head in the dining room and said, “You and Jake need to get dressed now.”

Stephen looked down at himself and then over at Jake. Confused, he said, “We are dressed.”

Mel said, “I want you to put on something nice.”

“Like what?” Stephen said. Warning bells should have been going off in his head, but they were strangely quiet.

“Wear something you would wear on a date with me,” Mel said.

“It is just dinner,” Stephen said.

Mel smiled at him and said, “I was thinking of wearing that special outfit you bought me, later tonight.”

“In that case I think I’ll wear whatever you want me to wear,” Stephen said.

Mel said, “I thought you would.”

Cathy stuck her head in the room and said, “You need to wear something nice too, Jake.”

“Why?” Jake asked looking down at his clothes.

Cathy said, “We’re having company. You need to look sharp.”

“Oh,” Jake said. The last time Cathy had told him that he need to look sharp was when her mother had come for a visit. That little visit didn’t go well. He thought about it and realized that none of the visits by mothers had gone well. He asked, “Is somebody’s mother coming here?”

“No,” Cathy said. “Now go change into something nice.”

“Why should I?” Jake said.

“Just do it,” Cathy said.

The two women disappeared into the kitchen. Listening to the noise coming out of the kitchen, Stephen thought they sounded a little too cheerful. He asked, “Did you talk to anyone else about Vi?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close