The Back Forty
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2021 by Wendell Jackson

Sam Wilson had been riding fence the past winter. It was a lonely job, but it had to be done. He’d been working the ridge line, where the elk liked to cross. They’d managed to tear out several places, in their migratory runs back and forth. The alpha fields were their favorite grazing spots, especially in the summer months when the irrigation sprinklers were working. They often ruined a large section of crops, soaking and rolling in the mud. He expected to see the same destruction when he finally rode home.

The one thing he couldn’t count on, was any help from his brothers. Both of them were probably off spending the wages from the last round up. Dad Wilson, as he was called by their friends, paid his son’s a small wage to keep them in spending money. Chad and Buck liked to drink, and that was what they were probably doing at this moment. They certainly weren’t at home fixing the broken irrigation pipe that was spewing water uselessly on the ground.

For the time being, Sam closed the valve, shutting the water off. He’d come back later and fix it, if he could find some help. The only one left was Dad Wilson, and he was too unstable on his legs to be much help these days. He would just have to wait for his brothers to get back, to work on the broken lines. He didn’t like it much, that he was the only one that apparently cared if the ranch made money or not. The only reason he hadn’t set out on his own, was that he was part owner of the Broken Bar. That was the name Dad Wilson had put on the place, years ago when he bought the land off a dying old man.

Clay Philips didn’t have a son to inherit the land, and so he sold it to Dad Wilson. There was a daughter that had gone back east, and wasn’t heard from for years. A small section was kept out of the sale, and that was Indian Creek. It wasn’t much, just a trickle of a stream running down the length of the side canyon. The Wilson’s didn’t pay much attention to the owner ship, and used it at their convenience.

Today the Broken Bar ranch was owned by Dad Wilson and Sam. Putting Sam’s name on the deed, was the only way Dad Wilson could get him to stay and work the ranch. He certainly couldn’t depend on his other two sons. Chad and Buck both loved to drink and carouse at the one saloon in Evansville. A one-horse town, where the two brothers felt like they owned the place. Both of them could give a good account of themselves in a bar fight, and they looked forward to such events.

Sam’s life was about to get a lot more interesting. Coming into the corral, he noted a strange Car parked Infront of the house. He went about his business, unsaddling the horse and tending to its needs. He spent a few minutes rubbing the animal down, before heading to the house. He was curious about the Car, but tending to his horse came first.

In the kitchen he found his parents sitting at the breakfast table with a very attractive young woman. Looking up at his entrance, His mother, Ruth smiled and with an open hand gesture said. “This in Miss Philips. The daughter of Clay Philips. The man Dad bought the ranch from.” Sam didn’t need all the information; he knew very well who Clay Philip was. Miss Philips gave him a polite smile as Ruth Wilson explained her being there.

Sam took a seat at the other end of the table, with his dad and mother to either side. He was facing the attractive woman. Her smile faded as Sam remained silent, wondering the reason for the visit.

“Seems Miss Philips wants to build a summer home on Indian Creek.” Dad Wilson commented.

Indian Creek was that small section which was over looked during the purchase of the Ranch. Legally it still belonged to the Philips. Over the years, it was used by the Broken Bar to graze cattle without regard as to who owned it. The small side canyon holding on Indian Creek, had an easement across the Broken Bar to access the property. There was already a line shack there, and Sam had spent the winter there. It was okay for a line rider but for a woman to spend time in it, a lot of work and clean up was needed.

“It’s her property, she can build what she wants.” Was Sam’s assessment on the topic.

“She also wants to improve the road to the property.” Dad added.

“We can grade the ruts out, but that’s as far as I’ll go.” Sam was talking about the easement. “Can’t lose any pasture to a hard packed road.”

“Well, I want to be able to access the property, even in foul weather. I’m told that it can get so muddy, no vehicle can use it.” Her voice was pleasant sounding, as she explained her reasons for up grading the road.

“It’s your property, and you can do with it as you please, but I can’t have a paved road across my land. And that’s what it will turn out to be.”

“What makes you think you know what I’ll do that with the road?”

“I know that you filed for a permit to build more housing on Indian Creek. Without a surfaced road, the county won’t sign off on it. I got a letter from them asking for information. Far as I’m concerned, you can build whatever you want, but I’m not changing the Easement. Once you build your dude ranch or whatever. There will be a lot of traffic crossing my land and causing problems.

“You’re not worried about water rights, are you? I mean, you have plenty of water. I saw the irrigation system on my way in.”

“No, that’s not it. I have over a thousand acres of unfenced land. We’ve added a few more since the purchase from your father. Plus, we have Soda creek for our water.” Sam rose up out of the chair and got a cup down out of the cupboard. Pouring coffee from the pot still sitting on the stove, he sat back down. Then he thought to offer Miss Philips one. She shook her head no.

“I can move our whole herd from one end of our land to the other, without cutting wire.” He paused, hopefully to let his words sink in. Then he realized that Miss Philips couldn’t have cared less. “I suppose you want our cattle off Indian Creek too.” Sam surmised.

“Yes, at the earliest. And I will be fencing Indian Creek off from your land.” Now there was a bit of an edge to her voice.

Well, there it was. He wouldn’t be using the line shack again, so he had to think about building one for the northern section. “I’ll ride up there tomorrow and start removing our things from the cabin.”

“I’ve already tried the road; it needs to be graded. I want to be there when you start packing up.” It was obvious the lady didn’t trust his honesty.

“Anything of ours can be brought out on pack horses. If you want to be there, you’ll do it on horseback, or grade the road yourself.” He showed her he could be stubborn too.

“Well, Mister Wilson, you leave me no choice. I trust you will have a horse saddled for me?” Miss Philips rose from the table, collecting her purse. “What time in the morning?”

“Just after dawn. Be on time, cleaning out that cabin is just the start of my work day.”

Later that day, when the family sat down to the evening meal, including Chad and Buck, both who were good as showing up at meal time. Ruth Wilson commented, that Jennifer Philips was a very pretty young woman. “It might be nice having her as a neighbor?”

“What neighbor?” Chad perked up, at the worlds, pretty young woman. Next to drinking, he liked carousing with the ladies. Buck paused in his chewing a mouthful, waiting for more information on the new neighbor.

“Miss Philips, she’s claiming Indian Creek. Wants to take up residence there.” Ruth explained. “I might get to see some new faces. Lord knows, I see you boys often enough.”

“We’ve run cattle there for as long as I can remember. Don’t that make it ourn?” Buck, spooned another mouth full, talking in between chews.

Dad Wilson shook his head. “No, it doesn’t.” Letting out half a sigh, he explained that it was left out of the deed, when he bought the land years ago. “It was an over sight on my part. A Separate parcel. I guess old man Philips didn’t buy it at the same time he bought up Elk Valley. Had a separate deed.”

“It should be ours. Were the ones taking care of it.” Buck could only see it all one way.

“Well, if you’re going by how you’re taking care of this place, you ain’t done much.” Sam spoke up. “I could use some help repairing a broken section of irrigation pipe.”

“I’ve done a good deal a work around here.” Buck bristled up. He didn’t care for his younger brother pointing out his lack of help. “You didn’t have to drop out of school, like me and Chad. Weren’t no buddy giving out helping hands back then.”

“You quit school on your own, and it wasn’t to work the ranch.” Ruth snapped at her son. “You’ve help out, that’s true. But you sure haven’t helped lately.”

“Maybe I should go over and take a look at this nice-looking woman.” Chad grinned. “Maybe she just needs a little sparking?”

“No, you guys stay away from her.” Sam told them both.

“Why, you think you’ve got the inside track on her?” The grin became wicked.

“No, you’ll just screw up negotiations. Right now, She’s content with a dirt road easement. I won’t sign off on any improvement that involves paving or laying gravel. Right now, I’m the one she has to deal with, You two show up, and that just might put a hitch in things.” Sam put his fork down, he was through eating. Sharing a table with his brothers took away his appetite.

One of the things going through Sam’s thought process, was how he was going to buy out his brothers shares. Dad Wilson, wasn’t doing him any favors by handing out money to them. If that money source dried up, and they had to put some effort into earning money, then he’d have an edge to work on.

The potential of the ranch to make him a rich man, was all there. He just needed some help doing repairs. If he could get his father to make the handouts coincide with helping on the ranch, then he might be able to work a deal with his older brothers. As it was, there was hardly enough money to run the ranch. Sam spoke to his father often about ending the handouts. The money would be better spent on hired help that would get something done.

Before turning in that evening, Sam went through the tool shed and found a section of pipe to repair the broken irrigation section. That had to be done soon, or he might lose the whole crop. He needed the alpha crop to feed the cattle this coming winter. Somehow, he was going to make the repairs, even if he had to get Dads help. His mother didn’t want Dad working on the ranch. He had health problems, and no amount of medication could overcome undo strain.

Morning found Miss Philips coming up the drive as Sam finished lining up the pack string. He had a horse saddled for the her, and the rest with empty packs for bringing out his gear from the Indian Creek cabin. Assuring her that the horse was gentle, he offered to help her into the saddle. She declined, saying that it wasn’t her first time on a horse.

Soon as Miss Philips swung up into the saddle, Sam started out. The Pack String following in line. She was riding at the rear, but spurred her horse and came up beside Sam.

“My names Jennifer.” She announced. “Just in case you get tired of calling me Miss Philips.”

“Mines Sam, in case you want my attention.”

“How long will it take to get there?” Jennifer said as she took in the beauty of the open country that surrounded them.

“Well, from the ranch, maybe three hours. If we came in from the highway, on the road you’ll be using, maybe an hour.” He was basing his estimates on good weather. A muddy road like Jennifer was concerned about, would take a lot longer.

The coupler for the irrigation pipe, got her attention. “What’s that for?”

“For a section of water pipe. The coupler may be worn. So, I’m bringing it and swing by on the way back. It needs to be fixed today. The Alpha needs water, if I’m to have feed for this winter.”

“How many cows do you have?” Jennifer looked over the herd, as the cattle slowly moved out of the way.

“Something like two thousand. Can’t be sure until the roundup.” Sam pointed to a cow limping on a bad hind leg. “a cougar or wolf made a try for that one. There’re other things that take a toll on the herd. Even rustlers.”

“There aren’t any wolves in the lower forty-eight. Alaska maybe.” Jennifer corrected.

“Yeah, well you can believe the crap the government puts out, or you can believe your own eyes.” Sam reached back and patted the butt of his Henry rifle. “I’ve had to shoot a couple of those nonexistent wolves.”

“It’s against the law to shoot an endangered species.” She was shocked, and didn’t really believe him.

“That’s why I buried them. Some call them timber wolves, but were better off without them no matter what their called.” Sam waited for her reaction, and then it came.

“Where did you bury them?” She doubted Sam had really shot a wolf.

Sam looked at her with knowing smile. “You’d be the last person I’d ever tell.”

“I don’t think there’s any reason to shoot any animal, be it a wolf or cayote. Most likely you shot a cayote.” Jennifer nodded her head, agreeing with her assumption.

“Damn big Cayote, and I know the difference.”

“German shepherd then.” She was sure Sam was pulling her leg.

“Damn big dog then.” Was Sam’s last comment on the subject.

Arriving at the cabin, Sam went right to work. He began packing all his personal gear outside, and placing it on the ground. Later he would divide it all up in the pack saddles, but first he wanted to even the loads. Jennifer was taken back by the mess the interior of the cabin was in. Sam pointed out that the line rider, wasn’t there to keep house.

As Sam continued packing his personal items out, and all the supplies left over from the winter, Jennifer was trying to clean up the mess that was left.

“You can have the pots and pans, along with the tin ware.” Sam offered; he didn’t want to pack everything out. Just supplies and blankets. “Or you can toss them over the bank.” He pointed to a drop some fifty feet from the cabin. “Might throw some dirt over all of it.” Seeing the disagreeable look on her face, Sam added. “Clay threw his trash over there too.”

“I can hire a contractor to fix the place up. I do intend to build bungalows.” She gave the surrounding area a good looking over. “Spread out along the creek, I can charge a good amount, even rent some to hunters in the fall.”

“It’s your land. I can tell you this though, the first cow I find shot, you’ll be paying for it.”

“I’m sure my clients will know the difference between a cow and an elk.”

“Do you?” Sam meant the question as a dig.

“Yes, matter of fact, I saw plenty of them on my way to your place. They were collected around a large mud hole, by that broken irrigation pipe.”

“Yeah, that’s my next stop. Have to get that fixed.”

The next hour, Sam began loading the pack bags on the horses and filling them with his supplies and some belongings. The Stove in the Cabin, was Sam’s. He offered to leave it, but Jennifer didn’t want it. She would be bringing a more modern one in, and asked Sam to remove the old one. She added that she didn’t want it thrown over with the rest of the trash. It would take another trip, this time in a pickup over the rutted road.

Sam wasn’t very happy about having to go get the stove. It meant he would have to grade the road after all. There was no way he would drive his pickup in over that rutted dried out mess. He was pretty disgruntled at how Jennifer maneuvered him into grading the road. His thoughts on her lighten up, when he stopped by the disconnected irrigation pipe.

“How are you going to fix that.” Jennifer looked at the loose section.

“Looks like I’ll have to get Dad out here. It needs fixed now. The crop has to be watered.” Sam pointed to the open end that had separated from the valve. “Pull that back in, and then tighten down the collar, snug and it will hold.” He described the work it would take to fix it. With water still in the irrigation pipes, it would be a hard pull.

“I’m here now, what can I do to help.” She offered.

It was an offer Sam couldn’t refuse. The pipe need connecting, and she was offering. It would take using a rope and pulling the pipe into place with horse power, and then using the tools in the saddle bag to wrench the connector tight. He couldn’t pass up the offer of help, and so they worked together. Jennifer sat on the horse, keeping it still once the pipe was pulled into place. Sam secured the section, and soon had water flowing.

Jennifer was all smiles after Sam turned the valve and the connection held. The big sprinklers were again sending their jets of water high in the air over the alpha field. “How soon can I get the road graded.” She asked, knowing He was obligated now.

“I’ll be there Monday next week, if that will do?” Sam nodded. She had won this round, but he still wasn’t going to let her gravel or pave the damn road.

Ruth was expecting them, and had a meal ready, knowing they’d be hungry. The rest were already seated around the table, Chad and Buck always managed to arrive home around supper time. They sat feeding their faces, while Dad waited for Ruth to come back in with Sam and Jennifer.

Dad wasn’t happy with his two oldest sons. He was losing patients with them, and could see that they would never take on their share of running the ranch. With his health declining, and he could feel it. He decided to make a few changes in his will. Number one change would be Sam getting the whole ranch, with two small sections along the highway left to Chad and Buck. Each one of the two sections were large enough for each to run a hundred head of cattle. He assumed they would end up selling the land, and blowing the money. There was also the possibility that they would have to sell it to Sam. As the sections didn’t have water, the cattle couldn’t drink unless they headed north on Broken Bar land.

There wasn’t anything, Dad could do about their behavior now. They would have to take care of themselves. He did plan on giving them a warning on how the land would be distributed, so they would know what was coming. Until then, Dad would keep paying them, even though they did nothing to earn it.

Dad could see by Ruth’s expression, that she liked Jennifer. Especially seeing Sam and the girl together. She wasn’t very happy when Buck and Chad both began offering to show her the bright lights in town. Jennifer didn’t turn them down flat, but put off any such offers by explaining that she would be busy, turning Indian Creek into a paying retreat for well paying customers. Sam helped with the comment that there was a lot of work to be done at Indian Creek. That would stifle any thoughts they had of cozying up to the woman.

Later after Jennifer had gone, Ruth called her youngest son into the den for a talk. She waited while Sam closed the door. She didn’t want the others to hear. Making Sam sit down on the Sofa, Ruth took Dads easy chair. “Look, that girl will make you a good wife. I suggest you start being extra nice to her.”

“Mom,” Sam spoke softly. “Women like her, don’t come without a past. With her looks, she’s had plenty of offers, and most likely has a man waiting for her to say yes. She’s not here to look us country bumpkins over for a husband.”

“Just the same, you be polite and invite her to dinner when you get the chance. I always make extra, especially with those two lazy brothers of yours, always dropping in unexpected.” Ruth shook her head thinking of her other two sons. “They make me sick, coming onto her like that. They know I want her for you.”

“Mom, she isn’t yours to give away.” Sam had to smile. “Like I said, she’s got her own history, and her wanting to make some kind of a community on Indian Creek, is proof of it.”

“Well, try to show her your good side. Keep your gruff manners to yourself.” She closed the discussion.

Buck and Chad had left soon after eating, heading for one of the bright spots they offered to show Jennifer. They were thinking of catching up and making that invite again. However, on the main highway, Jennifer applied the gas and was soon out of sight. She didn’t intend to place herself on the arm of Sam’s brothers. At least not until the road to Indian creek was graded and passable. If she had to string the young Sam, along to get what she wanted, so be it.

The ranch had a drag that was pulled behind the truck. It consisted of several square beams, spiked together with four by fours. A few passes back and forth over a dirt road, would have all the ruts smoothed out, and level. Sam spent a good portion of a day, transporting the drag to the site. Once there he attached a rope to a tree and drove slowly several feet, pulling the drag off the truck. He didn’t bother trying to get one of his brothers to help, thinking he would be better off if they didn’t come around while he was working on the Indian creek road. He didn’t like the way they had come onto the girl.

Once Sam had the road smoothed out, he parked the drag near the cabin. There it would be safe from vandals and he could build a gantry for hoisting it up and loading it on the flatbed truck. At the ranch he’d used the barn hay hoist, which he had to reinforce for the extra weight. The extra work was cutting into his own projects at the ranch, which he wasn’t very happy about. The wind mill was making noise, obviously in need of grease. It was still pumping well water, which his mom insisted on drinking and using in the house. The river crossing the Broken Bar Ranch, was often muddy from cattle wading in the slow-moving water. Even without the fear of cattle polluting the river, the water was full of minerals and was hard to swallow. So, upkeep on the wind mill was important.

The next several days, Sam was busy around the Main house, catching up on projects. Most important was fixing the Wind Mill. It was the water supply to the house, and Ruth loved the sweet water that it produced. It was the only water source that didn’t need boiling to make it safe to drink.

The repairs on the windmill were more extensive than first thought. Sam had to take the buckle box down and replace some worn gears. He was in the shop when his brothers arrived in the farm truck. They wouldn’t use it to do any work, but it came in handy driving to town. Sam was glad to see the truck come back, as he needed it to retrieve the wooden drag, and transport the stove back from the Line Shack. He would have put off working on the windmill, had the truck been parked on the ranch. Instead, his two brothers were using up the ranch’s gas, driving it to town.

Sam continued to work on the gear box, he had to finish the repairs on the windmill first. He could go after the items left on Deer Creek later. He had a few days before making the trip. Meanwhile, he attached a pully at the top of the windmill, to raise and lower the gear box and tools. While he was repairing the gear box, his two brothers sauntered in. Seeing Sam working on the gear box, they exchanged some remarks that Sam couldn’t make out. He knew whatever they were saying wasn’t about his praises. Sam didn’t have time to concern himself with them, and kept working.

Inside the house, Dad was waiting for both of his oldest sons. They came in the house and headed for the kitchen. It was their usual entry. Dad called them both into the den, and bade them take a seat across the desk from him.

“What’s this.” Chad half smirked. “Another stern lecture?”

“No, I’m through handing out advice to a mud fence.” Dad Wilson, slid two folders across to where they could reach them. “In these two folders is your inheritance.” That got their attention, and they both reached for the folders. Dad went on speaking as they opened them up and searched the printed material with wide open eyes.

“I’m leaving you both a few acres. What you do with them is up to you. I don’t care if you turn around and sell them. It’s all your getting. The Ranch is going to Sam. He’s the only one working it, and the place needs a strong hand. You boys don’t want the ranch, so I’m really doing you both a favor.”

“We’ve worked the ranch.” Buck protested.

“So have a lot of local Hands, and I’ve paid them well. Same as I’ve paid you. Only too well. More than you deserved or earned.” Dad, had his right hand below the desk top level. A small drawer held his revolver. He didn’t want the meeting to degrade to a level of drawn guns, but he was ready if it came to it.

“In each of your folders, I’ve included traveling money. That’s exactly what its for. Both of you have twenty minutes to pack your things and clear out.”

“Damn, ain’t you being over dramatic here? We got just as much right to the ranch as Sam?” Buck protested.

“No, you don’t.” Dad shook his head. “That’s why I’ve left you those acres. Legally, you’ve been included in the will. It will stand up in any court. I have papers already filed with the county, stipulating that if you’re on the Broken Bar past sundown, it will be considered as trespassing.”

“This is wrong. The whole damn thing is bull shit.”

“You have eighteen minutes left.” Dad looked at his pocket watch, while both Chad and Buck stood up, their mouths open with disbelief. “Seventeen.” Dad pulled the revolver out where his sons could see it. “I won’t be the first father to shoot his son’s, so I suggest you start moving now.”

“Damn.” Chad exclaimed. Turning to Buck he said. “He mean’s it.”

Buck grabbed up his folder and the money. “Come on, lets get the hell out here.”

Looking at the papers, Chad angrily pointed out that the land given to them, was worthless. “There’s no water, it isn’t close to a highway. No one is going to buy it.”

“There’s a road.”

“It ain’t paved. Just a pot filled gravel road. No one will pay a dime for that land.”

“There is one that might be interested.” Dad pointed with his revolver for them to move out the door. “Sam, might take pity on you. From what I hear, he’s a fair man.” It was said to rub it in that their character left a lot to be desired.

Both men walked out and jumped into the truck. Chad got it started and backed out, spinning the tires, and heading down the road, leaving a following cloud of dust. Sam figured something big had just gone down, but finished his work before seeking answers.

Meeting with Dad that after noon, Sam asked to be brought up to date on what was going on with his brothers. He didn’t want to interfere with their lives, but wanted to keep abreast of events that might interfere with his.

“I’ve informed Chad and Buck on the contents of my Will.” Dad poured himself a shot of whiskey. Taking a sip, he nodded toward a document on the corner of the desk. “I’ve left the bulk of the ranch to you. It’s all yours, except for some acres, two parcels for your brothers. I had to leave them something, just to appease some legal steps in bequeathing codicils in the Will. The acreage won’t do them any good, except to sell it. No one is going to buy it, as there’s no water and its land locked.”

“I suppose I’m the only one that could put the land to use. I don’t need it.” Sam was thinking out loud.

“They will approach you and offer it all for sale. It’s up to you how you deal with them. The money you pay for it, won’t be put to good use. So, I don’t recommend you being too generous with them.”

“Will it all hold up in court?”

“The lawyers have all looked it over. It’s legit. Your names been on the place for several years now. No lawyer will take their case. There’s no money in it for them.”

The Ranch was what Sam wanted. He just assumed that his brothers would continue to be a part of it. Something like it had always been. It was hard to think of them gone off the land. He’d never thought Dad would finally get enough to throw the both of them off the place.

Changing the subject, Dad mentioned the rolls of barbwire that was a recent purchase. Sam’s attention snaped back from his thoughts and nodded about the wire. He explained that they had land abutting the highway across the south portion of the land. He planned on fencing the whole length, to keep cattle off the paved road. It was open range land, but that didn’t keep cattle from being hit by trucks and cars. Plus, there was some evidence of cattle rustling. Tire tracks were found several places. He had no idea of the number of cattle rustled, but even a small truck load could add up to a big loss over time.

Now there was another problem, Buck and Chad took off with the farm truck. Sam figured it was gone for good, and decided to make a visit to town. He’d see about renting or buying another farm truck, and while there poke around to see if anyone’s been selling beef. There was a meat packing company in town, and they did a modest business. During the hunting seasons, they cut up a lot of Elk and venison. Mostly for the local hunters. He had a few questions for the packing company.

Asking Ruth for the use of her car, was the only option Sam had for getting into town. He could ride a horse, but he didn’t like riding along a highway with speeding cars passing by. One never knew when some dumb Ass would lay on a horn, just to see if they could spook the animal.

Ruth was eager to go, any excuse to go to town was jumped on. She always had things she needed to buy, and most were for the ranch. Hardly ever did she make a purchase for herself, but she loved window shopping just the same.

Evansville was the largest town for eighty miles. A trip there usually involved the whole family. This time it was just Dad, Ruth and Sam. They had supplies to buy along with another farm truck. Ruth went shopping and had her purchases stacked on a loading dock. After Dad and Sam dickered and bought another farm tuck, they could pick it all up.

While Dad was buying a truck, Sam went to the slaughter house and inquired about hides. When an animal was slaughtered, they kept the hide, especially the section with the brands. Sam looked over the green smelly hides draped over the fence rails out back. He found several with his Broken Bar brand, and saw that a second brand was there too. Both brands were old, but the Broken Bar never sold beef to the local market. It was always shipped by rail to whatever meat packing company came up with the highest bid. These hides were from rustled cattle. The second brand was a large S with a slash through it.

Sam had never seen that brand before, and asked the men where it came from. They didn’t know, but it Stood for Running Springs, A ranch somewhere to the east. The office had a map of the area, and a larger one on the wall, with markings and pins. They all looked but couldn’t find a place called Running Springs. With both brands being old, and healed up, the rustlers were keeping the cattle some place. Once the brands were healed, then they sold them. Old brands were never questioned, just the fresh ones.

The next stop for Sam was the local hiring hall. An old tavern with a corral out back, where cowhands could stable their horses while they were in town. Today just an old man sat on the porch, there were no customers and he was the bartender. He started to get up and go inside when Sam came walking up.

“No, stay comfortable. I just got a couple questions.” He told the man as he started to rise. “You hear of a place called Running Springs?”

“Yes, don’t know much about it.” He motioned to another chair. “Have a seat, I don’t like looking up at a man when I’m talking.”

Taking a seat, Sam continued with his questions. “What do you know about it?”

“Well, they hired a couple hands a while back. Some locals, stayed with them all winter. Haven’t seen them around, so they must be working out alright?”

“Two men, come by lately looking for work?” he asked thinking his brothers might have signed on with some outfit.

“No, it’s been slow. Most get hired out of the Saloon.” He nodded down the street at the bar where a person could buy whiskey by the shot glass.

Sam thought about asking a few questions at the Saloon, but didn’t want to chance running into Buck and Chad. He preferred to face them when they were sober. It would be a lot less problematic. They could still be drinking on the money Dad handed out. Later they’d be sober when they came to sell the parcels. Sam could deal with them then.

Having learned about all he could from the Man, Sam decided to head back and see how his father was doing dickering for the new truck. He grabbed one of the green hides, bearing the two brands, it was his anyway, and having it was evidence of the rustling. He might need it if and when he brought charges against those involved.

Dad was firmly shaking the salesman’s hand, when Sam arrived. He turned and waved a goodbye to Ruth, and then saw Sam.

“You take shotgun, I’m driving.” Dad told him and said he’d be right back after signing some papers. Sam needed some time to think, and climbed into the truck. It took a bit longer for Sam to sign those papers, while Sam looked the cab over. The truck had decent tires; he’d seen that when he got in. It also had a hoist tilt bed, so they could dump the load. They wouldn’t have to unload the truck by hand, if they didn’t want too.

The truck was several years old, so Sam didn’t have the payments that came with a new truck. This one he figured would fill their needs just fine. In two years when they sold the culls out of the herd, they would have enough money to buy a rig for each of them. Ruth would have her car all to herself then. For the time being, a used truck would have to do.

“Head by the lumber yard, Dad. I have to buy some lumber for a temporary gantry.” He still had to remove the old stove, and even with help, he’d still need a gantry. It looked like he was going to be loading it by himself anyway. He could always use the lumber for other things later, so it wasn’t a waste of money. Sam picked out the lumber he wanted. It took a little time, so Dad rode home with Ruth when she stopped to check on them.

On the drive home, Sam took a side trip to Indian Creek, there he unloaded the lumber. He’d come back later and start building the gantry for loading the iron stove. Jennifer was there with a couple men walking the land. She was pointing out things to them, and they were taking notes on a clip board. Sam assumed they were contractor’s and were the ones going to be building the lodgings for her.

Seeing Sam unloading the truck, Jennifer waved and gave Sam a warm smile. She said something to the Men with her, leaving them to come talk with Sam. “What’s with all the boards?” she asked as he stacked them next to the Stove.

“Going to build a gantry, so I can hoist the stove on the truck.” Sam said matter of factly.

“Nice truck. Just buy it?”

“Yep, brothers using the other one. And you wanting the Stove off your property, left us with no other option.” Sam continued with his flat tone. “I’ll be here in the morning, to build it.”

“Well, good.” She nodded approval and gestured toward the men behind her. “They’re going to be laying out the building sites. A lodge and the bungalows.” Then after a slight pause. “I suppose you will want to hunt too. There’s a lot of land along Indian Creek, you’re welcome to come.”

Sam was taken back a little, but wasn’t about to give up on his high and mighty attitude just yet. “Well, I’m not going to have much time for hunting. I’ve got a spread to run and no extra hands to help out.”

“Yes, your mother mentioned something like that when we talked. I trust she’s well?”

“She’s fine. Told me to invite you to dinner.” Sam stated.

“When?”

“Uh, I suppose soon. Maybe some Sunday?” Sam hadn’t thought about when, he just assumed it was an open invite.

“Well, when you come up with a Sunday, I’ll accept. I need to know, because I’ll be taking care of other business matters back home.”

“Ma, always puts out a good feed every Sunday.” Sam did some quick thinking. “I’ll tell her to expect you this coming one?”

Jennifer nodded a warm smile, and turned back to lay out the building sites with the planners. Sam watched her walk away, his eyes realizing that she was a very curvaceous woman. He stood for a moment, admiring the scene. Then with a jolt, he got busy and finished unloading the truck. He silently scolded himself for lollygagging, when he had so much to do.

The next morning, before Sam set out on horseback, Ruth came and handed him a double bag of goodies. “These are cinnamon twists. You be sure and give them to Jennifer.” Then lifting finger, she pointed at Sam. “You remind her of dinner this Sunday.”

“I don’t recall seeing any of these for breakfast.” Sam took the bag and turned sideways to put it in the saddle bag.

“I made these for a special person. Now don’t for get to give them to her. You’re a good one for riding off and forgetting them in that saddle bag. Don’t let your tools smash them up. These have a special filling.”

“I’ll be sure and tell her.” Sam, nudged the horse toward Indian Creek, while Ruth headed back into the house. It was cold out in the early dawn.

Sam was wearing his fleece jacket, it kept his body warm, but his ears were still exposed under his wide brimmed hat. Talk around the breakfast table had been about signs of a cold winter. Colder than usual. Winter wasn’t Sams favorite time of year. It was always more work on the ranch then. He had to stack bales of hay on the wagon, making a dozen or more trips to feed the herd. Building the scaffold for loading the iron stove, was cutting into his time table.

Jennifer wasn’t at the line shack when he arrived. He assumed she would be staying there, but she preferred the Holladay inn in Evansville. Sam felt a little let down, since she was gone. “It’s just as well,” he thought. He needed to get the scaffold built so he could come back with the truck and load up the damn iron stove. It was proving to be a lot of bother. He worked carefully with the lumber, as he would need it all for other projects. He only cut a board short when it was absolutely necessary. The small chain hoist was hung, just as Jennifer came driving up.

“You work fast.” She greeted him as she stepped out of her car. “I was planning on helping you.”

“Well, it was mostly a one-man job.” Sam got down and got the double bagged Cinnamon twists out of the saddle bag. Handing them to her, he remarked that the twists were some of the best Ruth ever made. He knew because he ate a couple on the ride here.

“They certainly smell good.” Taking one out and after a small bite. “They taste good too.”

“I’m to remind you about Sunday dinner.”

“I won’t forget. Will you have another?” she said meaning the twists as she held out the bag to him.

“No, Mom will ask me if I got in to them, and how many I ate. A couple she’ll forgive, but not three.”

“Do you always tell you mother the truth?”

“It’s easier in the long run. The answers always stay the same.” Then pointing at the hoist. “I’ll be back with the truck and load everything up. I’ll be out of your hair and you won’t have anything in the way of fixing the place up.”

“Outside of some paint and a few other touch ups, the shack will stay much the same. My bungalows will be the attractions, along with the lodge. You’re welcome to come visit any time, and see for yourself.”

“Might take you up on that.” Which he planned on doing. He didn’t trust Jennifer. It wouldn’t surprise him if trucks should show up with a load of rock, to dump on the easement. It would mean a law suit on his part, which he would win. Though he didn’t think Jennifer would have any problem with finances. She appeared to have a lot of financial backing.

Sam didn’t get back to the line shack that week. He was busy running caves through a branding box, where he could secure the animal long enough to jab the hot branding iron on its rear. It was the only way he had of branding them by himself. Course he had Dad, operating the chute, holding the calves in place, and letting them out after Sam put the hot iron to them. But Dad was supposed to take things easy. The last doctor visit had it spelled out for them. He either slowed down, or he wouldn’t be around much longer.

“Some of these Calves, don’t have mothers.” Dad pointed to one that was trying to nurse with a cow that was already nursing its own calf. “Like that one. There’s several more. Too many, it ain’t natural to lose breeding stock in good weather. Someone is rustling the herd.” He leaned on railing. “Their leaving the calves as their not worth much at the slaughter house.”

“I figure they’re taking a small truck load at a time.” Sam let his father know he was aware of the rustling. “I saw the brands on some hides in town. Whoever they are, they’re keeping the cattle somewhere, long enough for the brands to heal. Some place they call Running Springs. You ever hear of it?”

“No, but there’s a couple ranches to the east that haven’t done much in the last few years.” Dad pointed off in the general direction. “New owners probably renamed them.” Then after a pause for some thinking, he added. “Better let the sheriff handle it. Been a long time since we could settle these problems with a rope or a fast draw. Just the same, you ought to start riding with a sidearm.”

Shaking his head, “I don’t think there’s anything I can’t handle with my Saddle gun. Hell, the Sheriff would accuse me of looking for a fight, if he caught me wearing a six gun.”

“If your brothers are involved, it’s best the sheriff handled this.” I don’t trust those two. Something just not right with them. They remind me of my brother. He was never any good.”

“I doubt if they are. Too much work in volved.” Sam was thinking how Chad and Buck never did anything worthy on their own. Ruth had to threaten them with a beating, even as children to clean up their own messes. Even If they were starving, they’d wait for someone else to fix a meal.

“Just be careful, especially riding the south acres.” Was Dad’s final warning. “There’s been several men disappear in that waste land. Wouldn’t surprise me to find out Chad and Buck are some how mixed up in it.”

Sitting across from his brother in the only bar in Evansville, Chad remarked that he didn’t want to sell his part of the ranch to Sam. The acres he held, might be dry but they abutted a useable road. “If we sell those acres back to the Broken Bar, it just helps Dad’s bull shit plans.”

“So, we sell them dirt cheap. Nothing says we have to get full value out of them. Like you said, it’s what Dad planned from the beginning.”

“How we going to do that. Everyone knows Dad Wilson. They won’t shell out a cent, if it goes against the old man.”

“We head east, South towards Imperial. We can find a buyer there.” Buck was sure of himself, and poured another drink out of their last bottle. Chad saw the last drop fall, and glared at his brother. They were out of booze money, and needed to sale the acres now.

A round the dining room table, only four people were sitting. The center piece was the bowel of home baked brownies that Jennifer brought. The brownies were gift enough, but they were delivered in a glass covered dish. Ruth was extremely pleased, and gushed over the gift for several minutes before bringing them all to the table. Sitting across from Jennifer, Sam felt a little self-conscious. He knew his mother had arraigned the dinner, knowing Chad and Buck wouldn’t be with them.

At Sunday dinner, each attempt that Ruth made to aim the conversation to talk about Sam, He made sure that Jennifer knew that Dad Wilson was the man running the ranch. Ruth gave her son a sideways glance, that told him to stop, and let her control the conversation. Sam finally made up some excuse to leave the table. A cow was due to calve and he needed to be there. He said his good byes to his mother, thanking her for the wonderful meal, and nodded to his father. Then telling Jennifer he was sorry to leave, as he was enjoying her company, but he had pressing problems to take care of. Some place where the conversation wasn’t about him.

Walking out to the barn, Sam noticed the wind was picking up. A look to the south west, revealed a bank of dark clouds moving toward the ranch. Sam realized that the road into the line shack, would soon be too slick to drive. It was either go after the Stove and lumber now, or wait a week for the road to dry out. If he waited, he would lose the moral argument of keeping the road like it was. Jennifer would have a strong point for graveling the road, and his mother would probably take her side.

Sam jumped into the truck cab, and started the engine. Normally he would have warmed it up several minutes before driving off, but he figured he didn’t have more than a couple hours to get there and out before the storm hit. He’d have to drive like the devil himself was after him to do it.

Arriving at the line shack, Sam quickly maneuvered the truck into position. All he had to do was hoist the stove high enough off the ground and back the truck under it. He had it all figured out, and was busy pulling on the chain, and slowly lifting the stove off the ground. The chain hoist was slower than he remembered. He doubled his efforts and was pulling down with all his body weight, but it was still slow.

Around him, the day was growing darker. The sun was being blocked out by the black storm clouds. Sam could see he was losing the battle, trying to get the stove loaded before the storm was upon him. When truck was finally loaded, the rain was coming down. He finished securing the stove with lashings, but he was soaked to the skin before it was done. Sitting in the cab, he could see the through the down pour that the road, was now too dangerous to drive. Tired and defeated, Sam switched off the engine, and sat for a few minutes. The rain continued washing the dust off the windshield with buffeting wind whipped sheets of rain.

Looking over at the line shack, Sam wondered if Jennifer put a lock on the door. He was chilled sitting in his soaked clothing, and knew he needed to get some place warm and dry. The cab of the truck was dry, but it sure wasn’t warm, and he didn’t dare run the engine with an almost empty tank of gas. There was enough to get back to the ranch, but not if he kept the engine running for the heater.

Sam was alone with his thoughts, and he wasn’t happy with them.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close