Ginny B - Cover

Ginny B

Copyright© 2021 by Vonalt

Chapter 23: The Outcome

A bailiff gathered me up and escorted me back to the “green room” and I sat there for almost an hour. Both Jeff Valentine and the other older gentleman were gone when I returned. I figured Jeff was testifying about his part. I wished they had provided some sort of distraction but there was no magazines to read and no TV to distract me. I didn’t realize how thirsty I had become from testifying. Looking at the clock I saw I had only been in the court room forty minutes, intense ones though. I got up to get a bottled water and snagged a couple of pieces of fresh pineapple to re-hydrate myself. I also found I needed to go to the bathroom to relieve myself. Stress from the testimony played hell on my physical self, I was beat. I thought about heading for the door to ask the bailiff outside if I could go. Just as about that time the door opened and the bailiff stuck his head in.

“Anyone getting hungry or need to use the bathroom?” he asked.

“I sure could,” I answered.

“Men’s rest room is just down the hall. Come on back and I’ll order each of us a sub sandwich for lunch courtesy of the Federal Government,” he said grinning.

When I returned from using the facilities the bailiff was sitting there with two subs and a couple of soft drinks and chips. I gave him a questioning look. I wondered how the subs arrived already.

“I figured you for a sub type of guy so I ordered the sandwiches earlier. They arrived while you were down the hall.” the bailiff said while handing me a deli bag with my lunch in it.

“Thanks I appreciate you ordering this for me and please pass my thanks to Uncle Sam, too”

I had turned and was heading back to the “Green Room” to each my lunch.

“Care if I join you?” the Bailiff asked. “I always like to be around people when I eat makes a meal more enjoyable.”

“I don’t mind as all I was getting bored sitting in there by myself and no distractions,” I answered.

“I have heard that complaint before but the judges want to keep witnesses isolated so there can be no outside influence affecting their testimony.” the Bailiff said looking for a place to sit and eat.

While we ate we made small talk. I told him about me getting married and coming to Chicago to teach. He asked how I met my fiancee. So I gave him the complete story of how I moved to Minot and come to meet my future bride and what my future looked to be.

“You are one lucky guy. Well maybe not in the past but your future looks promising. I wish I had your luck. Back home it is hard to tell the difference between Cindy Sue and Bossie, if you know what I mean,” he said laughing.

I laughed along with him I knew what he meant. Some farm girls are just big boned was the excuse usually given.

“I wish I had been in the court room when you gave your testimony. I heard your ex girl friend gave quite the show. Did it really take six security team members to get her under control? She isn’t that big of a girl. I don’t know how someone that small can become so strong.”

The door opened and in walked Agent Foster.

“You ready to blow this popcicle stand? You are through here and it is time for you to go home to your prospective bride and get ready to move here,” Agent Foster said cheerfully.

I had to agree with him I was more than ready to leave. The past couple of days was more that enough excitement for me. I finished my lunch while Agent Foster waited on me. When I was done and threw the trash away. I said goodbye to the Bailiff and said look me up after I started teaching at the University.

Agent Foster drove me back to the hotel and I packed up my things while he waited. They had arranged a return flight from Chicago to Minot that left at 6 PM that night and would put in Minot close to 11 PM local time. I had plenty of time to make the flight I just wanted to get home so I didn’t waste time packing. I was packed up and ready to head to O’Hare twenty minutes later. I didn’t want to wear my suit on the plane so I had changed into casual clothes and the suit went back into the suit carrier.

When I was done packing and checking to make sure I didn’t forget anything I gathered my bags up and headed for the door. I was more than ready to be back in Minot.

“I am ready to go Agent Foster. Let’s go down to the lobby so I can check out.” I said.

We rode the elevator down to the lobby in silence neither of us said a thing.

The elevator door opened and I walked across the lobby to the front desk. I set my luggage down and handed the electronic key to the desk clerk.

“I would like to check out, please. I was in room 411.” I said to the desk clerk.

He made out a bill and carefully checked all the expenses charged to the room. He placed the statement in front of me and handed me a pen.

“Would you please sign here and if your friend there is with the FBI, could he also sign it acknowledging this invoice?” the desk clerk asked,

Both of us signed where designated and he gave each of us a copy to keep.

“We hope you had a pleasant stay with us and that you will come back when not on official business. Good day to you both.” the clerk said.

I stuck my copy in my flight bag when I picked up both bags and I followed Agent Foster out the main entrance door.

We had to walk a whole block to where the bureau car was parked, In typical Agent Foster style he chose to save the government money and parked where it was cheaper. He opened the trunk for me to put my bags in and closed it when I was done. He put his key in the lock to unlock the doors. We opened the doors, belted ourselves in and were soon on our way to the airport.

There was a major backup on I 90 so Agent Foster chose to use surface streets. It wasn’t too bad and I got the chance to see some of the Chicago neighborhoods. He figured it would take us forty five minutes to get to O’Hare. Better than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic any day.

We had been in the car for close to twenty minutes when Agent Foster’s pager went off.

At the next corner he pulled into a gas station and went looking for a public phone. Ten minutes later he was back. He started the car up and pulled out in to traffic to continue our drive to the airport.

“What was that all about, may I ask?” I asked Agent Foster curiously

“That my friend, is probably the best news you will hear in a long time.” Foster said to me.

“And?”

“Your ex-girlfriend there has been ordered to be sent to Elgin Mental Health Center as a forensic patient with an indeterminate stay. That means the Judge feels she is a danger to everyone and is sending there for treatment and evaluation. Indeterminate means he feels she will never get better so that is where she will be for a long long time. Your testimony and that of Jeff Valentine and her behavior in the court room sealed the deal.” Foster said.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close