Tripwire - Cover

Tripwire

Copyright© 2021 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 13

“Sir, I have an update on the subject in Oregon. Our contact has reported that the subject is currently in Idaho. Boise, to be specific.”

“Interesting, I understood that they were wanted in Oregon by the Federal Prosecutor. Why the delay? What is so important in Idaho?”

“Well, Sir, it seems that this Matt Reynolds person has family or friends in Boise. Additionally, the Subject appears to be acquainted with a family in the Basque minority group. There is a substantial population in the Boise area. Our contact was told that they would be spending several days in the area. Then proceeding to Salem. The plan is a session of depositions, followed by the Grand Jury, as soon as one can be convened.”

“I see. Can we get a surveillance team in place in Boise?”

“It’ll be difficult, Sir. We don’t have anybody with experience close enough. But if they’re going to be there for a couple of days, we may be able to get something started.”

“Do your best. We do know where they are headed, so it’s not a high priority yet. I’ll be getting the action team together and planning our next step.”


I spent the rest of the week hanging out with Pete. There wasn’t much we could do besides talk, but we did find something fun. We put the boys to work. Pete put his experience as a trail boss to work. We had those boys mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, and the thousand and one other tasks that a country home needed doing. There was a lot of griping and complaining, but the work still got done.

It wasn’t all work for them. Several times, Jim decided he wanted some Basque take out. And with Lance tagging along, he would take time off to go into town. It was amazing how much time it took for that simple task. When I asked Lance about it, He clammed up, told me that they had to wait because the Arteaga’s were so busy with customers.

Meanwhile, Jim was red-faced and stammering. I let it lay. I knew things would work out.

We also met Marie, the Home Hospice nurse, and I had to agree with Susan’s assessment. Marie was a gem. Efficient, compassionate, and more importantly, able to take Pete’s BS and throw it right back at him. When we were alone, Pete told me that it tickled him pink that she had the gumption to stand up to him. He said that if he had been 50 years younger, he’d seriously concider courting the young lady.

It was also a chance for Susan to take some time off. Anybody who has cared for a terminal loved one will tell you that it is one of the hardest things to do. Mostly it’s a lack of free time, time to yourself. That’s why I told Susan to take off, go shopping, go to a spa, get out of the house without feeling guilty. Suzy agreed and dragged Susan off.

Friday evening, Henry flew back into Boise. His job in Colorado was completed. The checks had cleared, and the deposits confirmed. Henry was tired but happy to have finished the job. On Saturday evening, Susan and Henry disappeared for an alone time reunion.

The following Friday, I called Brian and confirmed that we would be in Salem on Monday. As far as he knew, there were no problems. He asked that we be at the Federal Courthouse at 10:00 AM. He would leave word with the security officers. He reminded me that weapons were a no-no and that we should leave them locked up.

Sunday, we said our goodbyes and hit the road after lunch. Lance was following us in his jeep again. He had tried to get Jim to ride with him, But Jim wanted to get caught up with his sleep in the camper.

Six hours later, we arrived at a rest stop outside of Salem. We talked it out and decided to overnight there. I called Brian and let him know where we were and what I had planned. He had no issues with it and seemed relieved that the job was coming to a conclusion.

When we got to the courthouse the next day, it was obvious that My truck wasn’t going to fit into their parking garage. Not that it would have mattered, it was for government vehicles and employees. It took me about 30 minutes to find a spot I could park in.

Finally, we got inside. Then we had to work our way through security. That took another 30 minutes, even though they had been told we were coming. While we were navigating the bureaucracy, I had Lance call Brian and tell him where we were and what was going on.

Ten minutes later, Brian joined us. His presence didn’t speed things up, but it did lower the suspicion level directed towards us.

After clearing security, we were issued visitor badges, and Brian escorted us upstairs, where we met Morgan Langholz. He was the government attorney handling Jim’s case. He was a short man, 5 foot and change, thin and young. I was a little amazed at how young he looked. If I had to guess, he would be going to the senior prom next week. Mutual introductions were made, and Mr. Langholz started escorting us to his office.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close