Tripwire
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2021 by UtIdArWa

Jim’s eyes had glazed over, and he had a thousand-yard stare going on. I had seen this with others. It was best just to let him work it out. When he was finished, I would be here, waiting.

Sure enough, after about 30 minutes, He gave himself a strong shake and looked around. He looked at me, blushed and said, “I guess I got a bit caught up there.”

“It’s OK,” I replied, “Done it a few times myself. Are you thirsty?”

“Yes, please.” I handed him a glass of lemonade, which he gulped down. “Thanks, I didn’t mean to be rude or anything. It’s just that sometimes the memories get a bit intense, and I forget where I am.”

“No worries, Jim.” Before I could say more, He stood and looked around. He didn’t have the frightened deer look this time. But I could see that he was feeling uncomfortable. Like being exposed for too long without cover.

“If you need, Jim, you can stay here. This is a safe spot. The beds are soft, and the food isn’t short. You can stay as long as you need.”

He looked down at me, “I’ll keep that in mind.” And quickly disappeared into the forest.

Suzy walked up from the cabin after Jim disappeared. “Matt, that guy needs a new look. Clothes, Haircut, Shave, the works. But more than anything else, he needs a bath.”

“I agree, honey, but how do we go about it. I mean, the town folk are already convinced he’s dangerous, homeless, and probably penniless. That and he’s as skittish as a cat in a room full of rockers.”

“I know, but we can work through that. I suggest we take him down to Elk City and get him duded up. Then, well, I’ve got some other ideas.”

“Oh My God, you’re on a crusade, aren’t you?”

“Look, the guy needs help. And I think we are the ones to do it. The very least we can do is try, please?”

“Alright, But first things first. We need to make sure he isn’t an ax murderer or something. We’ll talk to him tomorrow and see if he’s willing to head down. I don’t think it’ll be easy. But, knowing you, you’ll have him convinced in no time.”

The next morning, Jim showed up soon after the smell of bacon started drifting around. If there is an aphrodisiac for the American male, it’s got to be the smell of frying bacon.

During breakfast, I started feeling Jim out about new clothes, a haircut, and shave. The clothes didn’t seem to bother him, but as the plan started to get complicated, I could see that He began to get nervous.

Suzy, standing with her fists on her hips and fire-spitting from her eyes, spoke up, “Jim, you’re dressed like a bum, you look like a bum. Thank God you’ve taken a bath, or you’d smell like a bum. We want to get you some new clothes, a haircut and shave. That way, the next time you are in town, you won’t be scaring grandma and the kids.”

Jim stared at Suzy. I could see the same emotions go through him that I had felt many times, mainly FEAR. “Yes, Ma’am, whatever you want, Ma’am.”

I patted Jim on the shoulder, “Right answer, son. Anything else would have made things worse.” I looked up at Suzy, “We’ll be headed into town tomorrow, If that’s alright, dear?”

“Damn Straight. Now, what do you want for lunch?”

“Anything you want, dear. Isn’t that right, Jim?” “Yes, sir, Anything Ms. Suzy wants will be fine with me.”

Suzy gave a sniff for punctuation, tilted her head up, spun around, and stomped into the cabin.

I looked at Jim and grinned. “Just remember son, If, in you’re ever in an argument with your lady, and you find that you are correct. Apologize IMMEDIATELY.”

“Yes, Sir, I’ll try to remember that.”

The next day, after breakfast and with Jim riding Jughead, we trekked into Elk City. After turning out the stock in Mabel’s corral, we took Jim over to the dry goods store. At first, Gilbert McNamara didn’t seem too happy. But when Suzy described what she wanted, dollar signs gleamed in his eyes and a mercenary smile showed up. The three of them were off to the races.

Once Jim and Suzy were tied up with clothes, I headed over to the Sheriff’s office. “Paul, I’ve got that wildman over at Gilbert McNamara’s store with Suzy. She’s going to get him dressed in city clothes and then a haircut and shave.”

“Good thing Matt. I agree that clothes and a haircut will go a long way to calming some of the nervous nelly nerves. Is there something else you need?”

“Yeah, I think we need to do a check on him. He thinks there might be a warrant out on him. I don’t think he’s dangerous, but if we are going to get him back into society, we’ll need to work out any issues.”

“No problems, Matt,” He called out his office door. “Steve, Got a hot one for ya.”

Steve was Paul’s office boss. He ran everything outside of law enforcement for Paul. This included anything to do with the computer. “Whatcha need, Paul?”

“It’s Matt. He needs a wants and warrants on,” He looked at me. And I gave Steve the information I had on Jim.

“No worries, Matt, just give me a minute or two.” he stepped back out of the room. Meanwhile, Paul and I went back to small talk and gossip about city life.

About 30 minutes later, Steve came back into the room. He had a worried look on his face. “Matt, you’re sure this is your guy? You didn’t get the name or social number wrong, did you?”

“No, I don’t think I did. What’s wrong? He’s over at McNamara’s with Suzy. Is he dangerous?”

“No, not dangerous, or at least as far as I could find. But whoever he is, it seems like the whole world wants to talk to him. He’s got three separate BOLO’s. One each from Homeland, FBI, and the Navy, if you believe it. Plus, an endangered missing person report out of Oregon.”

Both Paul and I sat there with stupid looks. Then we looked at each other. “Paul, I had no idea. What am I gonna do now?”

Steve spoke up. “Whatever you’re going to do. You’d better figure it out fast. Because I expect the phone to start ringing any minute.”

As if by magic, that’s exactly what happened. Steve stepped back up to his communications station. “Elk City Sheriff, Can I,,, Yes Sir Elk City Idaho. Yes, sir, I sent that request. Yes, sir, please hold for the Sheriff.” He pressed a button, and a light on Paul’s phone started flashing.

“Homeland Security, Boss, what should I do?” Another line started ringing. “Elk City Sheriff,,, Yes Elk City Idaho. And yes, we did send that info request. Please hold for the Sheriff.” A third line started to ring while Steve was on the second call. Speaking over his shoulder, “That’s the Navy on line two.” And picked up the third call. “Elk City Idaho sheriff’s, Hold for the Sheriff.” There were now three lights flashing on Steve’s board. “That’s the FBI, Paul, and I want a raise.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close