Tripwire - Cover

Tripwire

Copyright© 2021 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 1

“Matt, That kid’s back.”

“Same place?”

“Yep, He’s up on the ridgeline. I don’t see any weapons. He just squats there and watches us.”

“Well, Honey, I’ve run into a few of these guys up here. Mostly they’re harmless. Most times, they’ll go to big efforts to avoid contact. But I’ve got a feeling with this one. The way he doesn’t seem to care if we see him or not. I think he might want to talk to us.”

“If you say so, Matt. It’s just that he kinda creeps me out. The way he just sits there, not moving. Then he just disappears like a ghost. He spooks me.”

I chuckled. “Ghost, Spooks?”

She immediately got mad and smacked me in the shoulder. “You know what I mean. Just see if you can talk to him. At least that way, we’ll know why he’s here.”

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do. But this guy is probably one of our PTSD hermits. He may not want our help. And to tell you the truth, I don’t know if I can do him any good. But, because you asked, I’ll give it a go.

I took a minute to think about what I should do and then started setting things up. Mainly it was getting a pitcher of lemonade ready. I warned Suzy not to interfere and set Shadow on the porch with a sit and stay command. I knew that if things got bad, he would help. But right now, I had a feeling that too many people or an apparent guard dog would spook him off. I had a feeling this had to be one on one.

I stepped out off of the porch and looked up to the ridge. Sure enough, I could see a figure squatted there, Watching the cabin.

I hauled 2 of the Adirondack chairs off the porch and put them about halfway in the yard, between the fence and the porch. I also included an end table, two glasses, and the lemonade.

Looking up at the ridge at our visitor, I pointed my arm at him and then gave the arm signal for assembly. Finishing with pointing at the other chair. I then sat down and waited. For a minute or two, nothing happened. Then he got up and disappeared into the brush.

About 30 minutes later, He showed up at the ford over the creek. He stood there watching me and looking over the surroundings.

He was dressed in rags and semi-tanned skins. The odor was almost overpowering. He hadn’t shaved or had a haircut in quite a long time.

I gave him a minute and then called out. “Come on in, friend. The woman and the dog are in the house. If you’re interested, I’ve got some lemonade here. You’re welcome to a glass.”

I didn’t say anything else, just waited. Eventually, like a scared rabbit, He started inching his way into the yard. When he got to the table, He picked up the glass of lemonade and cautiously sipped from it. It was an obvious success. He closed his eyes and seemed to be in a state of ecstasy as the sweet/sour liquid ran over his tongue.

“Pretty good, isn’t it. It’s just the package stuff, and I don’t have any ice. But it’ll do when you’ve got a thirst on.”

He started to talk, and it was apparent that he hadn’t had a lot to say recently. He started out with what sounded like a croak. He stopped and cleared his throat and then started over. “It’s good.” He whispered.

“My name’s Matt. The woman is Suzy. She and the dog will give us some time alone if you want?”

He nodded his head and took another sip from his glass. “Thanks, I get nervous.”

“That’s alright. We would like to be your friend. Were you military?”

“Yeah, middle east. Marines ‘04 in Fallujah. Baaaad Shit.”

“Me too, I was Kuwait with Schwarzkopf. Susy was Bagdad and IED’s.”

“You know then?”

“No, can’t say I know, friend. Each of us has walked our own path. My demons are mine, Suzy’s are hers, and yours belong to you. I wouldn’t try to claim ownership or even knowledge. What I can do is offer an ear. I’ll listen. I won’t judge.”

“You a doctor?”

“Nope, can’t claim that either. Oh, I’ll set a leg or tighten a tourniquet. But your head? I haven’t got a clue. All I can offer is an open mind and listen.”

During our conversation, he had sat down on the edge of the chair, not fully into it. Then, he suddenly stood and started looking around. I didn’t say anything. But, I had an idea that He was hearing something that he didn’t like.

I gave it a moment, “Friend, you’re welcome anytime. We’ll keep an eye on the ridge. If you want to talk, just come on down.”

He stopped and looked at me. I could see the fear in his eyes. “Thanks.” Then he bolted and ran into the trees and disappeared.

When I got back to the cabin, Suzy was waiting, “Well?”

“I don’t know what we can do, honey. He’s acting like he’s been through some bad stuff. I think that the best thing we can do right now is nothing. It’s possible that he was pushed too far, he could suicide or worse. I don’t know if I can take the lead on this one. Hopefully, we can bring him in again. But whether or not we can get him back to society, I just don’t know. I hope he isn’t too broken.”

About a quarter-hour later, Sheriff Paul Thompson showed up. This was unusual. Paul didn’t like to leave things unattended in Elk City for very long, and a hike up to my place was at least a two-day trip on horseback.

As he came into view at the front gate, I called out, “Well, Marshal Dillion, How’s Festus and Miss Kitty?”

“Good to see you too, Matt. Where’s Suzy? She runoff with a grizzly yet?”

From inside the cabin, Suzy called out, “I’m right here, Paul. Want some coffee?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close