Playing by Ear - Cover

Playing by Ear

Copyright© 2021 by Lumpy

Chapter 21

Friday I was back at school, and overjoyed. The last three days had been brutal. I worked the lunch and dinner shifts each day, which was okay since I was used to that work. Past that, except for two hours where I was to work on my homework before the dinner shift, Chef ran me ragged. He gave me conditioning exercises and bag work, with only a ten-minute break in between. By the time I got home each day I couldn’t do anything but just fall into bed and pass out, exhausted. I’ve honestly never worked so hard in my entire life.

I did run into one problem over the suspension. Most of my teachers had no problem sending my school work home with Hanna. Mrs. Seidel had even included a handwritten page explaining the concepts she’d taught that day, which was incredibly thoughtful.

It wasn’t a surprise that the problem had been Coach Bryant. He declared that since I wasn’t in class to learn the material, I would be taking a zero on all classwork and homework, assigned over those three days. So far I’d put up with his bullshit, but I had a way out this time. He’d been in the office when Vice-Principal Keller had said I would get homework sent home for me each day.

I almost had Mom call the school, but I was still avoiding her finding out about my math grades, so I decided to do it myself. I knew that being aggressive or accusatory wouldn’t work, since the faculty’s default position would be to rally together. Instead, I framed it as a possible misunderstanding, reminding the vice-principal of what he’d said in the office.

I’m not sure how the conversation went down with Coach Bryant, but he’d started giving my homework to Hanna after that. She said he’d been notably pissed but hadn’t said anything about it. I decided to just claim it as a victory and move on.

I was walking into school with Hanna and was surprised to find the kid I had helped standing at the door into the school. He’d been leaning against the wall, but as soon as he saw me, he pushed off the spot on the wall where he’d been leaning and walked towards me.

“I’ll see you at lunch,” I said to Hanna when she noticed me slowing down.

“Sure,” she said, giving the kid a once over glance before going inside.

“Hey,” the kid said.

“Hey. How’s it going?”

“Good. I’m Cameron, by the way. Cameron Barnes.”

“Yeah, I think the baseball coach mentioned your name. I’m Charlie,” I said, reaching out and shaking his hand.

“Ohh, I know who you are. I saw you play at the Blue Ridge last weekend. You’re really good.”

“Thanks. I’m still learning. I’ve only been playing on stage for a few weeks and I still have a lot of edges to polish.”

“Not that I could see. You killed it the night I was there.”

“I appreciate it.”

“Anyways, I wanted to say thanks for helping me out. Harry was going to beat the shit out of me when he caught me.”

“No problem. I’ve had run-ins with him and his friends before. He’s a real asshole.”

“No kidding. Anyways, I really appreciate it. I know you got in big trouble and you didn’t have to help out. If there’s anything you need, just name it.”

“Sure, but I think I’m okay. Harry already hated me anyway, so nothing much changed except I got a three-day vacation.”

“I think I’ve seen you at lunch. You normally sit with Joseph White, Right?”

“Yea, he sits with us. You know Joseph?”

“Only a little. We’re both in choir, but he’s in show choir and I haven’t managed to make the cut yet.”

“You’re welcome to sit with us at lunch, if you want.”

“Really? You don’t think the others would mind?”

“Sure, it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Awesome. I’ll let you get to class, and thanks again for helping me.”

“Any time,” I said as he hurried inside.

Although we normally would have sat at the bleachers today, I asked Rhonda to sit inside. Since I told Cameron he could sit with us, it would be rude if I wasn’t there the first time he tried to join us. I introduced him to everyone and he seemed to fit in well.

Rhonda surprised me halfway through lunch when she asked, “Have you thought about homecoming?”

“Homecoming,” I mumbled, mouth half full of food.

“You know, the first dance of the year after the homecoming football game?”

I pointed to myself and said, “Remember, first year of public school?”

“Ugg. It’s a big dance, really important! Everyone’s going to be there.”

“This is the point where I ask you to go, right?”

She rolled her eyes at me.

“When is it,” I asked.

“Friday.”

“Rhonda, do you want to go to the homecoming dance with me on Friday?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” she said in the most deadpan voice possible.

“Gotta keep you girls on your toes.”

“Sure. Let me guess, you have no idea how to dress to a homecoming dance, do you?”

“Umm...”

“That’s what I thought. You dress nicely. Button up shirt, sports jacket, that kind of thing. You also have to buy me a mum.”

“A mum?”

“It’s this thing girls pin on their dress, has ribbons and stuff and is personalized to them.”

“I can do that.”

“Good. My dress is going to be blue, by the way.”

I just nodded, assuming that was important information but having no clue why she’d tell me that. I managed to hold everything in until after school, on the way to work with Hanna.

“Are you going to homecoming?” I asked, looking around the car.

“I wish I wasn’t,” Hanna said. “Marcus feels he has to make an appearance so I told him I’d go. I haven’t worn a dress in forever.”

“Are you getting a mum?”

“God, no. Those things are hideous. I told Marcus I’d break his knees if he got me one.”

“I need some help. I apparently need some kind of dress clothes, and Rhonda made it very clear I had to buy a mum.”

“Damn, there isn’t a lot of time to get those. Most kids will have already placed their orders. Do you have money on you?”

“A little, are they expensive?”

“They can be. Pay what you can and I’ll cover the rest. We get paid today and you can pay me back this weekend. We’ll go on Sunday to buy dress clothes.”

“I need to talk to Mom first. I’m supposed to be grounded from dates and outings until the end of the week.”

“Okay, we can do the mum on Sunday too I guess, but that’s pushing it.”

“Great, thanks. Until lunchtime, I didn’t even know there was a homecoming dance.”

“Can you dance?”

“Sure. Remember, grew up in clubs and bars. I can hold my own on the dance floor. What I don’t know how to do is all this high school ritual stuff. You guys grew up hearing about it. Like, everyone else knew what a mum was, and I just thought it was how the British say ‘mom.’”

“I sometimes forget how weird you are.”

“Thanks,” I said.

“Don’t mention it,” she said with a smile.

As I predicted, my paycheck was much larger again, almost twice what it was a week before. The past two weekends’ audiences were the largest the Blue Ridge had ever seen, more so if you consider there was an actual turnover. We technically managed to fit more people in on Saturday than it would normally hold, since it wasn’t one audience staying in place all night.

That means more people paying covers, more people buying meals, and many more drinks, all of which had portions paid to the band. The rest of the band members were ecstatic, although for them it was only a modest bump. My pay increased so much, not only because of the larger audiences, but also because I was getting a larger portion. They decided to cut me in for a full share, just like any of the other guys in the band. I argued that I was still only playing Saturdays, but Willie said that everyone had agreed I was contributing enough to be worth it.

Considering their good moods over how everything was going, I didn’t argue it. Everyone seemed happy and I was getting more, so it seemed like a win-win for me.

The crowds were larger again, so much so that some had to be turned away at the door. It felt like there was further we could go with this but my one hour on Saturdays had about hit their limit. We couldn’t shove more people into the Blue Ridge without going overcapacity. I mentioned to Chef and Willie that it looked like we’d about hit the max we could bring in, and both said they were working on options. Since sitting back and letting them figure it out had worked so far, I decided to go with the strategy. Besides, I was enjoying the ride.

The harder part was Sunday morning when I got to talk to Mom, and convince her I should both be allowed to go on a date with Rhonda on Friday and go shopping with Hanna later in the day. She was at first completely against it, barely letting me get any word out. She’d continued to be in a mood all week, although it seemed like my suspension was only a small part of the reason behind that. Once I explained it was for the homecoming dance, she softened a bit. Unlike me, she attended all the traditional school activities, when she was young. She had a better grasp of the social rituals.

I told her that I understood I was grounded, but Rhonda had made this seem like a big deal. I was surprised when Mom agreed to give me a pass on both things, only making me promise to have Mrs. Philips get pictures, assuming I would be going to the dance with Hanna and her boyfriend. Her agreeing so readily made me suddenly nervous, since this whole thing was clearly a bigger deal than I thought it was. I’d told Hanna I could dance, which was true, but I hadn’t actually been to a dance. I made a mental note to ask Hanna to break down all the stuff that happens at these things and make sure I knew enough not to make an ass of myself.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close