Playing by Ear - Cover

Playing by Ear

Copyright© 2021 by Lumpy

Chapter 13

In between lunch and dinner, I’d gone back out to check on the pig and found Chef there, already.

“Hey, Chef,” I said, walking up next to him.

“You did good, today. Keep it up like that, and you might become a damn fine cook one day.”

“I had a blast.”

“Yeah, once you really get into it, nothing beats this work. I loved my fighting days, but I’d never trade it for this. What’s even better is when you get to watch people eat what you made, and they love it. I swear that’s the real addiction.”

“I wanted to say thanks. Hanna only talked to you about me a few weeks ago and since then you’ve gone out of your way over and over to help me. Not just giving me the job and all the free lessons, but ... just everything. I don’t know how I can honestly pay you back.”

“You’re a good kid, Charlie. It might seem like I only pop in and out or stick you with someone else during a shift, but I’m always watching. I see how hard you work and how hard you focus. All I really want from anyone who works here is that they strive to be the best version of themselves they can be. ‘Course, that’s not good news for you.”

“Why?” I asked, suddenly worried.

“You’ve had some tough breaks, but I think with the right chances, you can go really far in this world. If you want to pay me back, then reach your potential and don’t disappoint me.”

I nodded solemnly. I wasn’t sure he was right about the potential thing, but I was positive I never wanted to let Chef down.

I didn’t get to do as much work for the prep up for the dinner rush, but that was fine with me. As interesting as the day had been, I don’t think I’d ever worked this hard in my whole life. Not that I was complaining. All my previous shifts had been with training wheels, working a less important station with someone standing over my shoulder. While I still had Chef at hand pretty much all day and screwed up plenty of times, I felt like a real member of the team for the first time.

It was a little weird, after a full day working in the kitchens and being in the mix of everything, to be standing aside and watching everyone else cook. If I had to describe it, it felt a little like an out of body experience, changing from having been an integral part of the machine to now watching it work without me. Chef eventually shooed me out of the kitchen. Partly because I was in the way and partly because I needed to get ready for my date.

I headed up to his apartment where I’d stashed the backpack with my clothes and went to take a shower. I still had ash and dirt inside my clothes from cleaning the pit, now caked down with sweat. I’d gotten the outside of my clothes mostly clean and had worn an apron while cooking, so I hadn’t really looked at what kind of state I was in until now. It felt good standing under the hot water, letting it massage my muscles. I didn’t stay too long, in case Chef decided he needed to take a shower for some reason. I didn’t want to use up all his hot water, but I spent long enough to feel much more relaxed by the time I was done.

The clothes I picked out were the nicest I had, which still only made it ‘okay’ for a date. I’d picked a dark red button-up shirt that Mom had gotten from a thrift store last year after my last big growth spurt and my least damaged jeans. I know someone like Camille would have mocked how I was dressed, but I thought I looked pretty good.

By the time I cleaned up the shower, so Chef didn’t have to deal with my mess, and gotten dressed, it was already seven. I still had an hour until Rhonda showed up. Even though I’ve been up to shower in Chef’s apartment a bunch of times over the last few weeks, it felt strange waiting there by myself. I ended up going down and hanging around the open area behind the restaurant, not far from where we’d roasted the pig.

It had come down while we were prepping dinner and was now inside being served to customers. Chef had told us not to put the coals out, so the burning applewood could still be smelled all the way out in the parking lot. He’d even thrown an extra piece onto the ashes to keep the smell going. He called it marketing, and I would bet that it was working. There was still juices from the pig that had dripped into the fire pit, and the burning log filled the air with not only the smell of wood smoke but also brought back out the deeper scents of fat sizzling in a fire. I’d been around the pig all day, and my mouth was already watering again from the smell.

I made sure to stay far enough away from the fire to keep my clothes from becoming too smoky. They’d have a little bit of it, but I didn’t want it so bad that Rhonda didn’t want to get close to me.

I was sitting on one of the benches Chef sat on while I worked out and was just thinking when the back door opened and Hanna came outside.

“Shouldn’t you be working?” I asked, surprised to see her.

“All the tables in my section have food and are good, so I came out to get some fresh air for a second. It’s crazy in there.”

“Really? I haven’t been in the dining room yet. We were pretty busy at lunch.”

“Apparently, the people who live around here and some of the people that came for lunch passed the word that Chef got a pig. He doesn’t do it that often and people love it, so we tend to get a lot more local traffic when it happens. I hadn’t seen you tonight?”

“I stopped work after dinner prep and Chef kicked me out of the kitchen at six-thirty.”

“It was weird you not riding into work today. I’d just gotten used to our routine.”

“Yeah, it was early when Chef picked me up, but I loved it. I really hope it worked for him, ‘cause I’d prefer working this shift. I learned more about cooking today than I think I have in my entire life combined.”

“Cool. Excited for your date?”

“Yep.”

“Willie mentioned you had a surprise, but wouldn’t tell me what it was.”

“Maybe,” I said with a shrug.

“Fine, be that way, but you’ll tell me later. Damn, gotta go.”

Another waitress had stuck her head out the back door right then, which had been her cue that one of her tables needed something. I’d been so wrapped up in learning stuff and trying to show Chef I could do a good job that I hadn’t thought about the change in schedule much, but Hanna was right.

She’d taken to coming by my trailer a little bit early on Saturdays and Sundays to pick me up so we could hang out for a little while. Now that I thought about it, it was strange to not see her today. I’d see her tomorrow, of course, but I’d also started getting used to our schedule.

Of course, we’d have more to talk about tomorrow after I played with the band. Willie’d arranged for me to have rides home the days we’d practiced, once I mentioned I was keeping my playing tonight secret from Hanna, so she hadn’t actually seen me playing with them yet. I was sure she’d have something to say about the secret once she found out.

Thinking about Willie, I made my way inside and around to the stage to talk to him. Hanna had been right about the dining room. It was packed and I saw some people standing around outside or near the hostess stand, waiting to get a seat. I hadn’t been outside of the kitchen much, so I didn’t have a lot to compare it to, but it seemed like the business would be good tonight. Looking around as I passed through, I saw plenty of fish and pork, so the specials must have been going well. I felt a weird thrill seeing people happily eating the food I’d had some part in preparing.

We weren’t going on ‘till nine, so most of the band either wasn’t there yet or sitting outside with Willie. I’d brought my guitar that morning and I saw it on stage in a stand next to Willie’s. I hadn’t put it out yet, so I assumed Willie must have gone up to Chef’s apartment at some point, saw it, and set it up for me. Hanna had seen my guitar a bunch of times, so I wondered if she’d seen it and gotten a hint that I’d be playing tonight.

Since my guitar was already in place, I made my way outside through the rest of the dining room, where I found Willie sitting in his usual seat outside, along with about half the band.

I was still there when I saw Rhonda and Jordan walking up the steps and waved them over.

“Ladies, I’d like you to meet Willie. He plays here on weekends and has been helping me learn some new stuff on the guitar. Willie, this is Rhonda and her sister Jordan.”

“I believe Jordan has come by here before,” Willie said, reaching out to shake both of their hands.

“Yea, I’ve come up with Hanna a few times. We’re friends from school.”

“So I take it Rhonda here is your date tonight.”

I saw Rhonda blush a little bit and look down, oddly demure for her. She usually had no problem being the center of attention, but maybe that was only with people her own age.

“Yep. If you’ll excuse us,” I said, making our way inside. Jordan broke off and headed over to the bar, where Hanna was waiting for her.

“Are you sure we’ll be able to get a table. This place is packed.”

“Sure. I know the owner,” I said, smiling to myself.

Of course, I knew that Chef had told the hosts to hold a small table near the stage when it got close to eight, so I was pretty sure it wouldn’t have been a problem. Since the Blue Ridge didn’t take reservations, I felt a little guilty at having a table reserved for me when most people couldn’t, but only a little. The rest of me was glad he did because setting this up only to have to wait outside would have ruined the image I was going for tonight.

“You look nice,” I said as we sat down.

She was wearing a loose button-up shirt where the buttons stopped a few inches below her neck and a skirt that stopped a few inches above her knees. It was an outfit that covered everything but still showed a lot of skin. The combination really worked.

“Thanks, you look good, too. Jordan said Hanna said you worked all day?”

“Yeah, I went with Chef to a farmer’s market this morning and helped prepare the food for tonight.”

“Really? So you cooked our meal.”

“Not really, well, kind of. I filleted some of the fish that’s on special, but if you get that, someone else will cook it. I did do a lot of the work on the suckling pig this morning. We started cooking it eight hours ago. I’ve smelled it all day, and I think that’s what I’m going to get.”

“Then I’ll get that too. How do you like working here?”

“I love it, especially after today.”

“Why after today?”

“Up till today, I’d been doing little stuff, helping on side dishes or whatnot. Today was the first time I really got to do something. This morning it was just Chef and me, and we were really cooking. I learned so much today.”

“You know women appreciate a man that can cook.”

“Good to know.”

We ordered our food and talked while we waited. She told me about her day, which was mostly shopping for clothes with her friends at a mall down in Asheville. While I didn’t have much opinion on clothes and knew little of women’s clothes, I just enjoyed hearing her talk. What I found surprising was that she managed to spend hours in the mall and only bought two things, both of which she described in detail. I didn’t go shopping much, but when we did, I looked around, found something that looked good, and bought it. I don’t think I’d spent more than thirty minutes at any one time shopping for anything.

Our food showed up and it was as good as I’d imagined it all day. The meat was juicy and so tender it practically melted in your mouth. I hadn’t worked on the sides, which Chef said didn’t need to be done till they were ordered, but they were a surprise. The parmesan potatoes I’d had before and they were still great, with a slightly salty and sweet flavor from the baked-in cheese cut by a dusting of pepper. The greens were the real surprise.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close