The Dance - Cover

The Dance

Copyright© 2021 by Rooftop Herald

Chapter 23

Saturday morning didn’t see a single McKenzie up before the crack of ten. The perfumery of pork belly sizzling in the skillet finally roused me, sending me looking for caffeine and sustenance in that order. Grandma, bless her soul, had both, pouring me a scaldingly hot mug full of black elixir and placing it in my tired hands.

“So when do the two of you plan to move into the new place?” she asked Dad, who had followed me into the kitchen. He glanced over to me.

“It’s Tim’s call – he’s the one who has been coordinating things with Evie. She told me last night that there were some things she needed to do yet before we could move in. From what I heard, fixing the ‘man cave’ is high on Tim’s list of priorities, as is replacing the feminine items that she staged in his room. On top of that, there are the rest of the rooms with staged furnishings and all the catering equipment that needs to be cleaned up.”

Grandma looked at me, then back at Dad. “And how long does Tim think that will take?”

“Oh, Evie said they could be done by Wednesday, so any time after that would be okay with her.” Dad was clueless.

“Well I’m glad that Tim was able to get so much information so quickly.”

Dad woke up at that moment, or at least the coffee kicked in. “Ah ... yeah. Sorry, Tim. Are you good with us moving next weekend?”

I finally entered the conversation. “Are you asking me or Grandma?”

“Both I guess. It’ll be hectic around here when we move out, so this impacts her and Dad. But mainly you – I need to know if you’re ready to move into the new place.”

I was eager to have a room I wasn’t borrowing from Grandma, and a place I could call my own, for however many years I had left at home. Yeah, I was ready, and I told Dad that the following weekend would be fine with me. Meanwhile, I could get the intermodal containers out of Grandma and Grandpa’s yard and have them on site, ready for unloading. Definitely doable.

After getting a thumbs up from Grandma, Dad made the decision, regardless of the fact that not less than two minutes earlier he had said the call was mine to make.

“That’s settled then – next weekend we move. Today we head back over to the house and see if there’s anything we need to take care of after last night’s party.”


I wasn’t surprised to see Evie at the house, coordinating the clean-up crew, settling up with the caterer, and acting bossy in general. After a quick hello, I set off with pad and clipboard in hand, looking for things that may have been damaged, scuffed, or spilled on the prior night. There were some marks that we’d need to take care of, but thankfully the open house had left us able to move in almost immediately. I met up with Dad again on the first floor after having inspected the basement and we compared notes. There was nothing much on his list, either. Since standing around while cleanup occurred was about as much fun as watching water evaporate, we decided to walk the path to the back side of our little hill where the equipment storage was located.

“So what’s next on your agenda, Dad? Any plans for Christmas?”

He laughed, “I haven’t let myself think any further than completing the house and Evie’s business relaunch. I think I’d like a quiet month here, just settling in and enjoying the season.” The crunch of gravel under our feet filled the air.

“What are your grandparents doing for Christmas, do you know?”

His question made me feel guilty. My entire existence outside of school and Paige had been consumed by the house, and I had been neglecting my grandparents. It must have shown on my face, as Dad burst into laughter.

“We are two peas in a pod, aren’t we, Tim?” He stopped laughing long enough to explain. “I take it from that guilty look that you don’t have any idea what they’re up to – same with me. I think there’s a lesson there that we shouldn’t get too wrapped up in what we’re doing to forget about the others in our lives. I understand that Evie and I forced you to do that with Paige, and now again with Grandma and Grandpa. I’m sorry about that, kid.”

We walked in companionable silence just enjoying the morning and thinking thoughts. Dad had a suggestion finally. “Do you feel up to another project, and maybe taking in some boarders for a while?”

If we were two peas in a pod, then I had an inkling of what he was talking about. “Grandma’s house?”

“Yeah. I saw that look on her face when she first encountered the drawings on her kitchen table. What say you and I offer that as her Christmas gift, after checking with Dad that is?”

I knew what the perfect present was now – it was the love you had for others that allowed you to open your heart and apply your gifts, your will, and your talents on their behalf. For Grandma, this offer of a house would be second only to her guys being willing to expend themselves for her in the building of it. I was reminded of the story told about Mom loving the library in our old home. Grandma could feel that way about her entire dwelling when we were finished.

“I think that’s perfect, Dad. But we shouldn’t leave out the smaller gifts that let her know how much she means to us either. I want to get her some tools for her kitchen, so that she and I can spend some time in there learning how to use them and making new recipes.”

Dad nodded. “Good idea, as long as you tell her that second part. Get her something a little more personal too. Tell you what,” he said as an idea struck him, “let’s see if Evie and Paige are up to a trip into the city tomorrow. Mom has boxes full of drawings like the one she did for Gloria’s dress.”

He saw my surprise.

“Oh, I may not have your gift for reading the ladies, but I do pay attention to the things around me. Yes, I knew that was one of Mom’s designs on your second girlfriend last night.” He shook his head ruefully, “I have no idea how you can land not only one, but two of the hottest young women in Georgia ... and get away with it. But that’s beside the point. There are boxes of designs, some of which I’m sure are too dated to ever see the light of day, which is why Evie and her daughter are needed. We can have them go through the sketches and select some for you to make the final choice from, and then we’ll take it in to her friend in Atlanta and have him make a dress that you can give to your grandmother at Christmas.”

A slow smile crossed my lips as I thought about her delight. “That’s perfect for me, but what about you?”

“I’ve got that covered.”


After inspecting the back lot and making some notes about it to give to Grandpa so he could finish up the yard buildings, we headed back to the house. Dad left it to me to broach the topic to Evie. We caught up to her as she was performing a final run-through.

“Mrs. Goddard, can I ask you a favor?”

“Oh, Tim, and James. I’m glad you’re here. There are some things I needed to ask about furnishings and placement.” Her face lit up when she saw Dad, although she addressed most of her remarks to me.

“Uh, sure,” I said, trying to get my request in front of her before she got too distracted with her own job, and Dad’s baby blues. “The favor though, first. Please, Mrs. Goddard?”

I caught a glimpse of Dad’s smirk as I tried to regain Evie’s attention. Something in my voice must have been successful, as she finally tore her gaze away from him.

“I probably owe you several already, don’t I, Tim? Go ahead, ask.”

“Well...” I laid out my and Dad’s plan for Grandma’s Christmas present. I wasn’t half-way through the explanation of what we intended before I saw the joy and acceptance on her face – I think it was when I mentioned the potential that she and Paige would be spending a day shopping with Dad and me in Atlanta. Both she and Dad were ear-to-ear enraptured with each other.

“Sure, Tim, I’d love to,” she said, all the while staring at my father. He still had a slight smirk on his face – I paid attention to that, too.

“Thank you, Mrs. Goddard.”

“Of course, you’ll need to ask Paige separately,” she responded, “since that’s what men do for a date.” They both wore that tiny smile, and I got it. That progenitor of mine had used me to ask his date out for him. Well, turn-about is fair play.

“No, Dad and I agreed that I would ask his date for him and he would ask mine.” His grin faltered a bit, and when it came back it was a little wan. I continued, “Why don’t we head over to your house so he can do that and then we’ll make the rest of our plans?”


Paige was nowhere in sight when we walked into the Goddard mansion. It took several loud calls from her mother to bring her, in a relatively unkempt state, into the kitchen where the three of us sat, drinking weak coffee that had been poured while we awaited the princess’ appearance.

She walked yawning through the passage into the room, and froze only when the recognition of visitors came upon her. “Mother,” she shrieked, clutching closed the front of the shabby bathrobe she currently wore to cover the boy-short panties and oversized sleepshirt she had on. When she had recovered her wits, she acknowledged us, her face flaming.

“Mr. McKenzie ... Tim.” After making sure the belt on her robe was secure, she strode across the floor to the coffee maker, grabbing herself a large steaming mug of morning juice. Dad and I both rose from our seats as she approached, I reaching out to grab a chair and pull it from the table for her. That placed us boy-girl, boy-girl around the small breakfast nook.

Paige’s face had recovered by the time she had downed almost half of her morning beverage. “So,” she finally asked her mother, “to what do we owe the pleasure of the company of the McKenzie twins this morning?”

I almost thought Evie would let Dad off the hook when, with a wink to me, she told her daughter, “James has something he’d like to ask you.”

Paige’s expectant look under raised eyebrows turned to Dad. “Yes?”

The twinkle and smirk was back on his face. “Well, Paige. Since my son asked your mother for a date, it’s up to me to ask you. Would you accompany me and Evie into the city tomorrow on an errand for my child?”

She almost choked on her coffee when Dad referred to me as a child. When her answer came, it surprised me. “I would love to be your date, Mr. McKenzie. Just think, both Goddard women on your arms as we traipse about Atlanta together.”

I understood when she shot me a grin that seemed to say, “That’ll teach you not to ask out other women in front of me.” Gloria.

“Well then,” I stated with an air of insouciance, “that’s settled. Dad, you can make the arrangements to pick up your dates. I’ll head back to the house and see about getting my stuff settled in.”

I rose, making polite noises to the ladies before heading out to the truck to wait for the rest of my party. Dad soon joined me and we made our way back to the new place.

“Sorry about that, Tim,” he told me. “That’s not what I meant to have happen.”

I sighed. “I know. What Paige did was just give me a taste of my own medicine. It’s okay ... we’re okay. I mean, you and I are okay, and Paige and I are okay. I guess I deserved that. Whatever. Don’t worry about tomorrow, things won’t be weird. I’ll have to suck it up like she did and play along with things.”

“You’re sure?” Dad had a look of concern for me.

“I’m sure. Have fun with your two dates. I’ll carry the packages.”

Grandma ran with the whole idea as we explained the shopping trip to her, although we wouldn’t tell her what we were shopping for. She went so far as to find passable clothes for me that could double as butler garb from somewhere in the house. In doing that, she made me feel better about the whole thing. As she helped me try them on, she casually remarked, “So with you two gone tomorrow, whatever will Lionel and I do with a day all to ourselves?”

I winced at the suggestive tone in her voice – today was clearly a day for fun at Tim’s expense. “I don’t know Grandma ... do you need suggestions from the Lady-whisperer?” I managed to ask.

“No, Tim. Unlike with Lionel, there are some things that I don’t need advice on.” She patted my cheek, “You four have fun tomorrow and make sure to text me before you leave Atlanta.”

The plaintive, ‘Grandmaaaa,’ in my head was only heard by me.


Sunday morning saw the Goddards show up at the family farm to look through Grandma’s boxes. I left them to it, preferring instead to perform my manservantly duties by washing the Tahoe. Dad was given the inside task of distracting Grandma while the other ladies perused her designs. Only when the chamois had been wrung out for the final time did he appear to inform me of their progress.

“The women have narrowed down their selections and now they need you to choose your Christmas gift.”

I cleaned up the cleaning supplies, then followed him into the house. Evie and Paige were in my room, well, actually Grandma’s old sewing room, with a small stack of pages lying face down on the bed. Evie motioned me over to them.

“She has some amazing designs in there,” she said, waving a hand at the boxes stacked in with my clothes in the closet. “Paige and I selected ones that would be appropriate for her and the current fashion. Now it’s up to you to choose from them.”

One by one, she turned them over, placing them upright on the bed in front of me. I could hardly believe my eyes. Grandma had talent! She could have been a major fashion house all on her own, and instead she had chosen to live the life of mother, volunteer, wife to a contractor, and all-round maven of a small town in Georgia. The best of her designs deserved my best in return, so I took my time gazing at them. Some were too dressy, some too showy, but there was one that – like Goldilocks – was just right. I pointed.

“That one!”

Dad looked past me at the one I had selected, a query on his face. I could tell why, too. It wasn’t the prettiest, or the most glamourous, but it was Christmas with Grandma.

“Good choice.” He looked around at the occupants of the room. “So ... who’s ready for Atlanta?”

With that, he extended an arm to each woman, leaving me to pick up the drawings, put them away so that Grandma would be none the wiser, and then follow to the Tahoe with the selection tucked neatly into my jacket. They were rubbing the situation in my face when I got to the truck and found the three of them ensconced side-by-side-by-side in the back passenger row, leaving the driving duties to me.

“Yes Sir, and ma’ams. Where can I take you?” I asked after settling in.

“The city, James,” came Dad’s voice from the back seat. “We have a shopping excursion in Atlanta.”

I started the SUV, put on some music we could all enjoy and with a slight smile on my lips, drove us to our destination.


Alfonse met us at the door to his shop. Normally he wasn’t open on the weekend, but Evie had made a call to Grandma to get his number, followed by a call to the man himself. He was apparently willing to make an exception for anything that had to do with Candace McKenzie.

“Look, it’s the McKenzies and guests,” he greeted us each with air kisses or handshake as appropriate. “So let’s see what you brought me.”

I pulled the design from within my jacket where it had been safely tucked. “Mr. Alfonse, I’d like to give my grandmother a special gift for Christmas, and so we stole one of her designs from her collection and brought it in for you to make. I trust you’ll treat the dress as proprietary and keep this confidential from her?”

He made a little wave, “Goes without saying. So let’s see it.” His hands gave an involuntary clutch as the paper came into view. He took it gently from my grasp, smoothing it out on the counter around which we all stood. There were several moments of silence before he commented on it. “Yes, this is Candace alright. It’s perfect, and perfect for her.” He looked up at me. “You say she has a collection like this?”

Evie rescued me, “She does, and there were some that would not be out of place at the Oscars or any other red-carpet event. But you remember the agreement? This one only, and in return I do the design on your new studio.”

That got me objecting, “No, Lily. That wasn’t the favor. I just wanted you to help with the selection. That’s too much.”

“Hush. It’ll be fine. After Friday night, there were enough people who asked where Gloria, you and James got outfitted, that Alfonse will be busy for a while. Couple that with his new studio and he and I will be doing each other a favor. This one isn’t on you, Tim.”

She turned back to the proprietor. “So we’re good?”

“Oh, yes, more than good. I’ll be happy to do business with you any time, Mrs. Goddard.”

Alfonse turned back to me. “So ... we have measurements?”

Oops. I remembered Grandpa tracing Grandma when I asked him a similar question as to her size. I was not about to do that. “She’s a medium,” I opined lamely. “I thought that you would have her measurements here, and so I didn’t think of getting them.”

Alfonse’s disapproving look lasted a short while longer before he burst out laughing. “I do, Mr. McKenzie, but it was fun to watch that.”

He returned his attention to Evie. “When do you need this?”

She gestured to me. “Ask him. It’s his gift to her.”

I volunteered the information. “For Christmas if possible, but definitely for our New Years’ party at the house.” Dad and I hadn’t talked about the guest list but I figured I had some leeway there. “You’re invited to join us. I’m sure Grandma would be happy to see you.”

“And I’ll be able to make final adjustments for her. Of course I’ll be happy to attend. Just let me know when and where, and I’ll be there.” Alfonse placed the drawing in a file cabinet that he locked carefully behind him. “Now, what are your plans for the rest of the day? Shopping? Anything else I can help you with?”

I had been thinking of that, and I realized I needed a couple of new suits to go with the one I had worn Friday night. “Yes, actually you can. Could you make me two additional suits in the fabrics that Grandma chose but we didn’t use? On my account of course – full charge.” I also figured that if Alfonse made it big the way Evie seemed to think he would, this might be the most affordable point at which to buy clothing from him.

His head nodded. “I remember, and we still have your sizes here too. I can have them ready for you two weeks from yesterday. Anyone else?” he asked, glancing around. Evie had a wistful expression but shook her head.

Dad’s hand raised. “I’d like several new suits as well. I do a lot of travelling on business and my current clothing is slightly more business casual than not. I’ll need some suits if I’m to be meeting with some of the clients that have been referred to me.”

Alfonse nodded. “Let me pull some of the fabrics that your mother selected, and then we can go from there. I’ll get your measurements while I’m at it, and we can have you back for a fitting when your son’s suits are ready. How does that work?” He sweetened the pot when he remarked, “Of course, these lovely ladies will be welcomed back at the same time.”


We were back in the Tahoe, in the same configuration. I looked in the rear-view mirror. “And where to now, Sir?” It was almost lunch, and my stomach was growling.

“The Lawrence, James,” Dad responded. “We have reservations there in twenty minutes, so you’d better get there quickly.”

I punched the destination into the GPS and followed that female voice to a nice looking establishment. As manservant, my job was opening doors and the like, so after all had alighted with my help, I followed on to the entrance.

“Ladies, Dad,” I said as, with a smile, I waved them through the door I opened.

Ahead of me, Dad said something to the greeter, and we were soon led to a nice table comfortably positioned out of the way of noise and traffic. Dad held the chairs for each of the ladies while I waited for everyone else to be seated before finding my place. Menus were presented, followed by an extended period of silence while we perused the selections. Evie motioned for the pretty young server while Dad and I were still buried in choices, and another, different menu was brought to her. The server returned at a further wave from her.

“Ahem,” Evie stated, clearing her throat. It took another time before Dad and I looked up. “Ahem,” she skewered us with a light glare before turning to our server, Julie by name.

“Julie, if the gentlemen will permit me, I’d like to order for them.” Her head turned to catch reluctant nods from us. “Alright then. The larger one,” Evie pointed at me, “will start with the Artisanal Cheese Bread, followed up with the Pork and Kimchi Tacos.” She paused for a moment, leaving Julie the chance to say something.

“Are you sure, Ma’am? Those are just appetizers and I think it would leave such a strapping young man slightly hungry.” I got a flash of Julie’s pearly whites as she considered me. “He might end up eating half of his sister’s plate.”

Paige looked startled to be referred to as my sister, and felt the need to set matters straight, “No, no. I’m not his sister. Not even his date. We’re just ... friends.”

Julie’s head snapped back to me, measuring me the way a shark examines its next meal. I had a sinking feeling. I looked for help around the table, finding only an indifferent Paige, an amused Evie, and a cringing father.

Julie left off the examination and returned to taking the order, “And what else for this gentleman?”

Evie responded, “The Larry Burger, medium rare, with all the fixings along with extra bacon, the Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese, and the Sherry Manchego Mushrooms. The other gentleman will have the Frites and Chatham Island Mussels as appetizers, followed by the Whiskey-Cherry glazed Lamb Ribs. Could you also add a side of the Mac & Cheese to his order as well?”

The ladies decided on side salads with an order of GA Trout Po-boy for Paige and the Crispy Duck Breast for her mother. They would split another order of Frites as an appetizer. While Evie finished her order I leaned over to Paige.

“Just ... friends?” I whispered.

“I guess I was a little more annoyed with you over asking Gloria to the party in front of me than I realized.”

It was when our food came that I think Paige realized she had been playing with fire. Julie had set down a platter on a scissor stand, with all the dishes on it. There was one plate remaining on the platter when it happened. Like a scene out of the movies, another patron stood up from his table at the exact moment a busboy walked by, sending the staff member careening over toward our table. I could see the disaster in the making and stood up in time to grab the last plate from the platter, then catch Julie as the busboy knocked her over, after sending the platter flying into the aisle. Her weight unbalanced me, and I fell back into my seat, the dinner held in my left hand and a server held in the crook of my right arm. The only problem was that she was sitting on my lap, and in my arms.

Dad was shaking his head as if to say ‘I’m not sure how does he does it’, or ‘some guys have all the luck’, or ‘you’re in trouble now’. The last was because Paige was staring daggers at Julie, who was taking a moment to catch her breath at the unexpected happenstance. I carefully set the plate on an empty spot on the table and assisted Julie to her feet, rising behind her.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Yes, thanks to you.” She said, drawing another scowl from Paige. Julie managed to clean up the serving devices, set the last plate in its proper position from the spot I had placed it, and then she returned to the wait area. When I sat again, it was only to receive the beginnings of a harangue from the young Ms. Goddard.

“You couldn’t stop yourself could you?”

Paige took a breath to begin another sentence when she was halted by a tone of command from her mother.

“Quit it, Paige!” Everyone’s attention turned to Evie. Her’s was focused on Dad. “I think we played this game out as far as it needs to go, don’t you James?” He nodded, and she spun back on her daughter.

“Tim did nothing wrong, and you almost had a fit. You’re lucky too, young lady, because you essentially gave him carte blanche earlier with that ‘friends’ comment, and he ignored it, choosing to be a gentleman in front of you instead. Now, come on, we need to fix ourselves up.”

The two of them left, anger and resolve on both faces. Dad and I waited to start eating until they returned, receiving grateful looks from the women. The lunch after that was strained but polite, all pretenses of both ladies being Dad’s dates had been cast by the wayside. Dad laid down a generous tip when we left, and I made sure to give the place a good review on my foodie app. After all, they had done nothing wrong and didn’t deserve the ill-will that my previous actions had brought on.

Dad took the wheel, with Evie in the front seat next to him when we returned to the Tahoe, leaving me and Paige to sit in the second row. We had travelled for maybe ten minutes when Paige spoke up. “I’m sorry,” she quietly stated. Then a louder, “I’m sorry, everyone, for making lunch awkward. And I’m sorry, Tim, for treating you poorly.” She looked at me, “It seems I’m always apologizing to you. How can you stand to be around me?”

We both leaned into the center and I put my arm around her, “Because that’s what you do for the people you care about. You accept them, warts and all. Look, Paige, it’s not all one sided either. I keep doing stupid things and then you have to forgive me for them too. We just need to work together on these issues and not try to deal with them separately. Team, get it? We can be a team.”

We were quiet for a time as Dad drove us to Williams-Sonoma. Paige waited until we had parked and the parents had exited the vehicle. “So you said that you care about me. Does that mean you want to be my official boyfriend?” she asked in a small voice. There was an air of vulnerability about her that I had never seen before. Her hand was there for the taking.

“Official, unofficial – yes. But only if you’ll be my girlfriend.”

She grinned shyly and leaned in for a kiss. Apparently it lasted long enough for Dad to get impatient and we were interrupted by a pounding on the door frame.

“You two work things out?” He asked as we finally exited. Paige nodded. “Good, then let’s get going.” I noticed his voice was a little huskier on that statement.


I knew exactly what I wanted to get Grandma at the store. As I explained my shopping habits earlier, I made a beeline for it, dragging a protesting, newly-minted girlfriend with me the whole way, not that I noticed.

“Ooh, look at that ... hey I wanted to check those out.”

First aisle.

“Wow, can you believe how expensive the La Creuset ... Are you kidding me!?”

Second aisle.

“Can’t I just...”

Third aisle. Ah, there were the stand mixers.

“So are you going to let me shop now or do I have to kick some McKenzie butt?”

I looked at her: fuming, beautiful, eyes flashing. What the heck?

“Paige, why did you come in here with me and then get all mad again? What did I do now?”

“Are you serious?” She looked at me and saw that I had no clue what was wrong. “You are ... serious that is.” Her clear laugh rang out. “Oh, you are such a guy.”

Evie caught up to us at that moment, having zeroed in on Paige’s laughter. Of course, she wanted to be let in on the joke, and Paige’s retelling of the march through Williams-Sonoma took longer than the actual event. Evie laughed too at Paige’s description of her outrage and my bewilderment, until it got quiet.

“Remember Dad?” Paige asked. “How he would stop at every aisle and still be window shopping when I was tired and wanted to go home?”

Evie nodded, tears in her eyes as Paige realized something. “He wasn’t particularly ‘manly,’ was he, Mom?”

I started to inch away with the box the mixer was in under my arm, trying not to intrude on their private moment when Evie caught hold of me. “No, don’t go, Tim.”

To Paige she said, “Tim knows. We had a really tough day this fall when I popped in at the house to apologize. He stopped me by sharing some of his ‘truths,’ he called them. It was all I could do to listen to him. And then it was my turn, and I had to confess things to him that only you and I know, and he heard me without judgment. He knows about your dad, Paige, and that doesn’t matter to him.” She paused, “So be thankful that you have this wonderful young man in your life, and don’t give him too much grief over being a stereotypical guy.”

Somehow the mixer made it to the floor without falling. The next thing I knew I had two Goddard women in my arms, hugging me fiercely. I finally let Evie go while maintaining a hold on Paige.

“I’m new at this, Paige. Next time say something.”

“I did.”

“Oh, then hit me in the shoulder or something.”

Her eyebrow arched, “And you won’t hit me back? Promise?” She tapped her breastbone, causing me to laugh, which in turn prompted a demand from Evie for another explanation.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close