Country Living - Cover

Country Living

Copyright© 2021 by Wendell Jackson

Chapter 7

Life was easier at the Broken Bow. The expected reprisal from Howard Barnett hadn’t materialized. They still maintained some surveillance on the rutted road and the open prairie. Most of the land around Broken Bow Ranch was now fenced, with wire. A lot of Ranchers had fought the fencing, but they found that it helped keep costs down on round ups. There was still work to be done on the fence. Storms blew limbs across the wire, knocking sections down. Then there was the elk that didn’t always clear the wire when jumping. They could take out a hundred feet of fence in one crossing.

One of the duties the ranch hands didn’t care for, was repairing the fence. They carried extra coils of wire and had to repair or replace the down sections. It was a job that had to be done no matter what time of year, or weather. It wasn’t so bad, once the cattle were down out of the high country, and grazing on the valley grass. The downed areas could be repaired with hardly a loss of cattle.

Brad didn’t make any trips to Town these days. All the supplies were brought back with Mathew driving the wagon. Wallace went along sometimes, when Cassie needed a break from sharing him with Margo. She wasn’t the only wife in valley whose husband kept a mistress. She didn’t like it that Margo and she were both about to birth babies. She wondered if Margo’s baby would be black, or maybe white like its daddy. A lot of things passed through her mind every day. She wanted her baby to be the one to inherit the ranch and all its cattle.

Mattie wasn’t happy with the situation either. She would have preferred Margo to marry a black man, like Marla did. She was happy with Mathew as a son in law. He was always going out of his way to please Marla. It was plain to see that he really cared for his wife.

Being the cook for the Broken Bow was the best job Mattie ever had. Brad allowed her to have her daughters with her, and they helped with kitchen duties. There weren’t two tables to cook for, like at the Mackay’s main ranch. At the Broken Bow they all ate at the same table. The ladies right along with the ranch hands.

Winter was coming, and Mattie wanted to spend several days picking berries in the high meadows. The berries were sweeter after the first frost. So, Brand and Wallace took a couple days to ride with the women, providing protection while they picked berries. Brad had babysitting duties, while Nola picked berries with the others. He got a couple smiles out of little Ben, and enjoyed this time with his son.

When it was feeding time for Ben, Nola didn’t bother with a shawl to cover herself with. Brad got to watch his son nursing on a full breast. Nola playfully told him not to get any ideas. Her breast belonged to the baby for a while.

Mattie knew how the Indians made pemican, and was planning on making a large batch for the line cabin and who ever had to spend the winter there. With the pemican bars, it saved having to cook every meal. A pot of coffee went well with a couple pemican bars.

All the line rider had to do was repair the fence whenever he found downed wire. There wasn’t enough work to justify two men, so it was a lonely job for whoever got stuck with it. If the snow didn’t get too deep, they could send a relief to do half of the winter. If the snow didn’t get too deep, someone would also check from time to time, and make sure the line rider was okay, and had all he needed in the way of supplies.

This year it wasn’t going to be Brad staying at the line shack. He and Wallace talked it over, and decided that if Cassie wanted, she could stay at the line shack with Wallace. That would give her time with her husband, all to herself. Margo who was about to birth a baby, would stay at the Broken Bow with her mother and receive tender care. Wallace was squeamish about child birth, and wanted to be somewhere else any way.

So as the woman’s time drew near, Mattie put on a big feast. The fall harvest had been gathered and stored. There was plenty of hay piled in the sheds for feeding the live stock during the deep snow days. Things began to slow down as they went into winter. It was the perfect time to celebrate the coming births.

The mood was right for a party. The day was bright and sunny. So, Mattie had the men move the long dining table out on the veranda. It was probably going to be one of the last really warm days before winter set in. The men were all washed and wearing their good shirts. They stood around talking and adding whiskey to their coffee cups. Paul the top hand from the Mackay ranch was there, almost fully recovered from his wounds. Once he was healed, he would be taking back over his old duties, and supervising the next years round up. For now, he was looking at the blue berry pies that sat at one end of the table. Mattie assured Paul that there was a pie just for him. First, he had to help devour the platter piled high with fried chicken. They didn’t have any beef on the table, just venison and elk. There was something of an unwritten law that they saved the beef for market. Later during the snow days, a steer would be butchered and beef would be served. With so much bounty from the deer and elk that ventured across their land, it was a shame not to feast on it.

Brad feeling the need to orate some feelings on the occasion, stood up to speak and give a toast to the ladies. Nola could only smile and shake her head at Brad, trying to stand without swaying. He wasn’t one to drink, and it was obvious he had over done it today. Only Paul was still sober, as he didn’t feel strong enough to be drinking. He slid his chair back and tried to comprehend what Brad was trying to say.

Paul was feeling edgy. Something was bothering him, and it wasn’t because he was feeling ill. The day and everything was just perfect. Still there was that feeling he was getting on the back of his neck. It was a feeling that something wasn’t right. Without be obvious, Paul began to look around. The west side of the big meadow still had tall grass. They hadn’t gotten to cutting that section yet. Paul let his gaze pass over the field, as he listened to Brad slur some of his words. Then he saw a glint in the tall grass, like the reflection of the sun off a small mirror.

Brad was standing, holding a large handled glass of beer out in front, as he began his toast again. Paul’s head snapped back at the bright spot in the tall grass and then reached for a silver platter that held bread rolls. Dumping the rolls, he held the platter so the sun reflected on the grass, and he moved it so the reflection centered on the spot where he saw the glint. Nola was perplexed at Paul, wondering what in the world he was doing. Then a loud something ripped through the air, shattering the large glass of beer in Brad’s hand.

Brad staggered back and actually tripped over his feet. The roar of the gun followed seconds later, and there was no hiding the fact that someone tried to shoot him. Nola jumped up and ran into the house, to retrieve a rifle from over the hearth. No one had to tell her that someone was trying to kill her man. None of the others at the table were wearing a sidearm. They’d came to dinner, not to play poker.

Nola came out, levering a cartridge into the chamber. Paul reached over the table and took the rifle from her and got off a shot towards the tall grass. The reflection was gone, now and he fired at the spot where it had been. He levered the rifle twice more and sent lead flying into the area. The rest of the dinner party, all hurried inside the house and took shelter from any stray bullets that may come their way. They didn’t have arms and so the best thing for them was to get out of the way.

Paul moved toward the tall grass, keeping a sharp eye out for any movement. The breeze was swaying the tops, which didn’t help Paul spot the culprit’s moves. He was aware that he could be moving into a trap. The shooter could be waiting for him to get close and then shoot when he couldn’t miss.

A shout went up as someone spotted a man running into the forest. It was at the end of the field. They couldn’t tell who it was, but Paul and Brad knew. So did Nola, and she fired several shots in that direction with the other rifle she’d brought out from the house.

Looking towards Brad, she said. “We have to kill him. He’s not going to let it rest.” They knew who she meant.

“Sure, looks like it.” Brad admitted. “Won’t even have to go to town to do it. He’ll try again. And he won’t wait as long.”

Dusty came to stand beside Brad. “You aren’t going to let him set up another ambush? We should go get him now.”

“No. But I’m not going into town either.” Brad already had a plan for killing Howard Barnett.

“I should have put a couple more into the son of a bitch, when I had the chance.” Dusty grumbled.

“Best you and the others stay close to the ranch.” Brad told him. “Protect the women. Can’t tell how low he’ll sink too. Try to keep the women inside.”

The dinner party was over, and the few that lived in town began to leave. They all expressed concern that Howard would try it again. Brad allayed their fears, by telling them, he was going to spent the winter at the line shack. Explaining that they were probably three weeks away from snow, and the most. Howard and those like him, wouldn’t be trudging through three feet of snow. He’d probably wait until spring and try it again.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close