Country Living - Cover

Country Living

Copyright© 2021 by Wendell Jackson

Chapter 6

The telegram came with the news of new Circuit Judge, soon to arrive at Salmon Falls. A ruse set up by John Reynolds. It was supposed to panic Judge Headly into dropping everything and leaving town. The fear that his illegal dealings would be exposed, would be the reason for his leaving. However, that wasn’t what happened.

Brad was jerked out of his cell, and rushed into court, still wearing cuffs and leg irons. John Reynolds getting the word late, didn’t arrive until the judge was banging his gavel, and sentencing Brad to hang the following morning at sun up. Nola hurried after Judge Headly, catching up with him as he loaded the last of his law books into his carriage.

“What you’re doing is completely against the law,” Nola started out, speaking loudly to be heard over the noise of the judge loading the carriage. “You didn’t give him a trial. How can you justify your actions?”

“I’ve done what I came to do, and I’ve fulfilled my obligation.”

“What obligation?” Nola was glaring hate at the judge. “All you’ve done is pronounced sentence. He didn’t have a trail, fair or not. He hasn’t been found guilty of anything?”

“Well, I suppose you can appeal for another trial, or ask the sheriff for a delay of sentence. I doubt it will do much good. All parties concerned are pleased with the outcome, excepting you of course.” Headly said as he climbed aboard the carriage. He had more to load, but decided to forego delaying his departure any longer.

“What do you mean, all Parties?” Nola grabbed his sleeve, causing Headly to face her intense glaring eyes.

“Maybe you should ask your brother in-law that question. He’s the one that passed on the instructions to me.” Headly snapped the reins, causing the carriage to lurch into motion. It rolled away, with Nola barely avoiding the rear wheels as it headed down the street, on its way out of town.

Coming up to stand beside Nola, John Reynolds told her that come tomorrow morning, Brad would be free. “I don’t know who or how much they paid that crooked Son of a Bitch, but it had to be a lot. He’ll have to answer for this. The provisional governor wouldn’t let this pass.”

“That takes time. We don’t have time.” Nola was about to lose her grip on her emotions.

“I have something in the works. When justice fails, there’s always the gun.” John Then offered to escort Nola home.

“No, I have someone I must meet.” Nola hurried to the hotel where her baby was being cared for by Marla. There wasn’t time to spare and she had to get a message to the Broken Bow, and particularly Dusty. If there was anyone that would be ready to take on the sheriff and the whole town it would be him.

Marla met Nola, with baby Ben in her arms. She could see the fear in Nola’s eyes, as she took her new born son and sat down to nurse. “I have to get a message out to the ranch.” Nola began. “They’re going to hang Brad in the morning. I need Dusty and the others.”

“But Miss Nola, Dusty is here in town.” Marla went to the window and drew back the curtain. “I saw him and the others going to the Saloon.”

“Go get him,” Nola urged her. “Bring him here as fast as you can.”

Marla found Dusty and the other cow hands in one of the two saloons in town. Dusty and two others were leaning on the bar, with a bottle in front of them and shot glass’s in their hands. The Bar tender was about to tell Marla to get out, as she wasn’t one of the Madam’s girls. Marla called Dusty from the door, and got his attention. Sensing it was urgent or she wouldn’t be here, he stepped out on the walk to hear what the message was.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close