Keeper - Cover

Keeper

Copyright© 2021 by Charly Young

Chapter 31

Quinn drove to over to Mandy’s veterinary clinic. He needed to get to Oldtown but couldn’t stop himself from stopping by the clinic to make sure the little wolf girl was okay.

It was located on the northwest side of town amid the lush pastures that lay alongside the Stillaguamish River. After the events of the day the drive relaxed him. The rich smell of new mown hay filled the air for some reason reminding him of his time the Mr. MacLeish. For all his sternness the man was not unkind and he was the only father Quinn had known.

He pulled into the parking lot and got out of the truck. No sooner had he opened the door, when he heard a squeal and a tall blond woman came running from the back and grabbed him in a fierce hug.

“Oh Lanie, I thought I’d never see you again.”

Quinn was flummoxed. He had no idea how to respond.

“Lanie,” she said in a tiny voice. “Don’t you remember me?

Kids in foster homes came and went. Nobody got too close.

“Sure, I do Suzie. I’m just kinda surprised you remember me.”

“Why wouldn’t I? You’re my big brother. You taught me how to ride a bike. Hey, you need to meet your niece. Charlie come on out and meet your Uncle Lan.”

A little blond-haired girl with smudged face came out from the back holding a tiny kitten. The little wolf girl was with her, she was holding a puppy.

“Charlie this is your uncle Lan.”

The little blond-haired girl walked over to him and turned big eyes up to him.

“Are you really my uncle?”

“I must be. Your mom says so.”

“Where have you been? You missed Christmas and Halloween.”

“Charlie!”

“I’ve been on a long trip and just got back.” He looked over at the little shifter girl. “Where did you find the puppy, honey.”

She looked down shyly and pointed to the back.

“That’s Katrinka,” Charlie said. “She doesn’t talk much on account of she’s shy. She’s my new friend. Her horse is sick. But mom says she will get better. Are you going to live here now?”

Quinn smiled. Apparently, Charlie had no problem with shyness.

“Sweet Mother, Susie,” he laughed, “She’s a carbon copy of you when you were little.”

“Yeah, she’s a handful.”

“Hi Daddy Lan,” the little wolf girl chirped.

Quinn’s heart cracked.

Somehow, against all odds, Lachlan Quinn had a family.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close