A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Copyright© 2020 by Emmeran

Chapter 136: The Marine House

Contributing Muse: Tarasandia, 10 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 11 May 2021

It hit me as I walked through the door, this would be the Marine House and that’s what it’s supposed to be. So to rephrase: as I walked through the door of the soon-to-be-christened Marine House, I started noting things I’d want to be changed before I returned. I didn’t want to be overbearing, but this house was a little too feminine to fit my comfort zone. I also needed a veterans’ bunk house out back. We’d give priority to Marines and then Sailors, of course, but focusing on veterans only.

The butler wasn’t there as I came through, but that poor guy was overworked already anyway. We would have a Sergeant at Arms who would be responsible for the footmen/sentries providing security. Naturally, this team would need improved quarters. I was glad a retired leatherneck usually didn’t ask for much. They needed uniforms, also. Abandoned warriors took comfort from the security of simple things such as that.

I actually came to a full stop as the thoughts flooded my head. I was buffeted by images of things I needed do for that and how I could make it work. I needed to consult someone, but there was absolutely no one I could consult. First, I had to recruit Grace Langdon. Officially, if the Widow Langdon started a home for veteran Marines and Sailors, she would be lauded across the land. We could start a clinic by the main gate as well. We just needed to pull in a competent sawbones. Sonya might love to help me push this project through. Since landing in the past, I’d never wished that I had cell service quite so badly as I did now.

I forced myself to push aside such distracting thoughts. This location was now part of my mission and would be part of my legacy. When I went to Washington next year, it was a solid talking point that would get me through as many doors as money did. With that renewed vigor, I strode through into the sitting room, where I had heard voices.

The ladies were a bit surprised at my sudden appearance. I duly greeted them all politely and complimented their beautiful new dresses. I found the remnants of Mr. Langdon’s liquor cabinet and poured myself a measure of what I hoped was bourbon. Let’s just say, whatever it was, it wasn’t good and I grimaced as it went down. It was time to get on with it. I’d deal with the booze situation later.

“Dear Mrs. Langdon, would you care to accompany me to the study?” I asked in my most formal and polite voice.

“My pleasure, Mr. Narrater, I assume we are to discuss business and finances,” was her measured response.

“Yes, ma’am, I propose we agree in theory and commit the agreement to paper, later tonight or in the morning. My offer may not be to your liking and, although I would like to allow you more time to consider it, I hope to come to an accommodation quickly. I shall follow you through.” I flourished as I opened the door for her. Damn, maybe I had watched too many chick flicks with Trish over the years. I actually sounded refined. If Buggy and Lurch could see me now, they’d be laughing their asses off.

We silently walked across the hall to the study. As soon as I closed the door behind me, she threw herself into my arms and started laying kisses on me. I actually had to fight her off. She finally and reluctantly gave me my space as I quietly repeated, “Business first, Grace. Business!” Not the most graceful of moments. I finally got her sat down and poured her a small glass of whatever was in the cupboard’s sherry decanter.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close