A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Copyright© 2020 by Emmeran

Chapter 129: Banker Warriors and the Key to Wealth

Edited: nnpdad 6 May 2021

“What I mean is simple. Who can ride and fight? Who can shoot at a man, and who has killed a man?” I love direct topics of conversation.

The table was silent. Only Brin stirred on his makeshift bed in the corner of the room. I sincerely hoped he didn’t decided to chime in on the conversation at this point. Brin did stay silent, as did everyone else. I worked on it from there.

“Living on the frontier is a dangerous life. So is traveling on the frontier. Once we leave this town, we rely only upon ourselves to protect ourselves. Man, woman and child.” I paused to look at all of their faces, including the women.

I continued assertively, “As your people well know, enemies give no quarter. We must all be on the alert. Everyone must be ready, willing, and alert. I predict that bad things await your kind in Europe. I think America will become a refuge and I propose to provide one to you. We will be adding an additional set of new enemies if we bring you into our world.”

“To survive, though, we must be a community - a complete and whole community, without exception and regardless of race, religion, or background. We absolutely cannot have a sub-community focusing on its members first. If you want to join us, we will need you to keep that part of your world specifically to sabbath-related activities and completely outside of commercial or other areas.” Damn, that was a major statement and definitely could have been worded better. I mentally cursed myself for having fun at the auction and not truly being prepared for this meeting.

This last part I had thought about, though, “We live in a territory that is not yet part of the United States. It will get there one day and, with your help, we will have a large say in shaping that state.”

I took a deep breath and put it plainly out there. “We, the gentiles and heathens, will fight to the death for you, if you are truly with us. If you plan to just be there as a separate society inside of ours, I will not allow it. We will return you back whence you came. So the choice you have is better than the black man’s because you will not return to slavery like they would.” God, I needed to get laid. This shit was stressing me out. Drunk would have to do.

“Now, you must decide before suppertime tomorrow. I ask each of you to individually ask God in your private prayers for direction. I will forever protect your practice of that religion as is written in the rules but the complete separate society cannot exist if Rulo is to survive. I wish to hear from each of you separately after supper tomorrow. Until each man and woman has had their say privately, no more is to be spoken of this. I will see you all tomorrow.”

Huge roll of the dice - shooting for seven on cold dice, even. Sometimes boldness is the answer, other times it merely guarantees grand failure. I ordered a bourbon and talked about our plans and my hope to start a bank. I studiously avoided mentioning their specific contributions. After that, it was all conversation about vision and needs that I hadn’t thought of. Their women were conspicuously silent.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close