Spotted - Cover

Spotted

Copyright© 2020 by Olga Chinka

Chapter 6

Safe at home in my room, I pace my bedroom floor trying to collect my thoughts. I saw Mrs. Wheeler get hurt. She dropped to the floor. Was she dead? I don’t know. What I do know is that I could have died today. At the mall, someone had dropped a bricked aimed for my head. Was it intentional or an accident? I can’t say for certain. I can’t afford to jump to conclusions I tell myself as I try to calm my nerves.

Suddenly something catches my eye out the window. What is that? Something is attached to the branch near my window! How did I not see this before? A piece of paper is dangling from a branch. It was definitely not there in the morning!

I pull my window open and try to balance as I reach for the note. I barely am able to grab it. With the note in my hand, I close my window and plop down on my chair curious to see what it says.

“I saw you” Is scribbled on the paper. I can feel the color drain from my face as I stare at the note. Was this from the attacker?

What I saw was Mrs. Wheeler get hurt. Obviously the attacker had seen me and knew where I lived! He was right next to my window and had access to my room!

I jump up and rush to lock the window even though I know there is no point to it now. He was already here.

“Rachel, you’re late!” I hear my mom yell out from downstairs.

I leave my room, racking my brain trying to figure out what exactly I was late for. Jane is standing at the doorway.

“Why are you not ready to go?” She’s fully dressed and looks angry. “Dang it Rachel, I hate having to wait for you!”

“Did you forget about recital practice honey?” my mom asks as she comes out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel.

“What practice? We had practice yesterday!” I am confused and frustrated. Who has time for recital practice at a time like this?

“Don’t be ridiculous Rachel! The play is tomorrow. Of course you have practice! Get your coat, you don’t want to be late!”

I slide my shoes on and throw my coat over my shoulders. I rush to join Jane in the car and hop into the backseat.

As soon as we leave the neighborhood, I hear Jane’s voice.

“Rachel you were acting really weird at the mall today. Like more than your regular weird. Is everything okay with Taylor?

I debate telling her what happened. I need to tell someone, anyone. But I can’t trust my sister. For the same reason I can’t trust my parents to help me. Jane is a jerkface and tried to convince my mom I was on drugs. No way was I ever telling her anything again!

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close