Magic - Cover

Magic

Copyright© 2020 by Lazlo Zalezac

Chapter 8

“You aren’t going to wear that, are you?”

Sean looked down at his t-shirt, blue jeans, and sneakers. He wondered what was wrong with his clothes. It was the same thing that he wore every day. Looking up at his mother, he said, “You’re right. I should go there naked.”

“Mom, Sean’s a pervert,” Lily said automatically.

“I know, Lily. All boys his age are perverts,” his mother said. She smiled at Sean and said, “That would be a good way to get a quick ride to the vet’s office from Mrs. Emery.”

“I didn’t think about that,” Sean said. He rubbed the back of his neck still getting used to the haircut.

“Go put on a dress shirt, a nice pair of pants, and your good shoes,” she said.

“Okay,” Sean said frowning. He wasn’t sure why she was insisting that he dress up just to have dinner with Suzie and her parents.

Sean went into his room and changed clothes. When he went to put on his shoes, he noticed that someone had polished them. After slipping them on, he ordered the shoelaces to tie themselves one at a time just to see what would happen. He was quite surprised when the laces formed perfect knots complete with symmetric loops.

He looked in the mirror when he was done and said, “I look like I’m going to church.”

‘Or a date, ‘ Sean thought. The thought quickly made itself felt in his groin. As his cock stirred, he hit his head and said, “Don’t even think thoughts like that. She’s your friend.”

Sean left his room and made his way towards the back door. Passing his mother, he said, “Bye.”

His mother asked, “Where are you going?”

“To Suzie’s for dinner,” Sean answered thinking that the answer was pretty obvious.

She shook her head and said, “Not the back way. Go out the front door.”

“It is longer,” he protested. The houses were set well back from the road. He would have to walk down to the road and then along it to get there since the Baxter’s had a fence that ran around the front of their property.

“You’ll drive,” his mother said.

“Drive?” he asked with more than a little hint of surprise in his voice. She never let him drive.

“Yes, you’ll drive. You don’t want to show up with your shoes all scuffed up,” she said.

Looking down at his shoes, he said, “I know that Mrs. Emery is a little hostile towards me and cats, but do you really think that she is going to be looking at my shoes?”

“I raised an idiot,” his mother muttered. She answered, “Yes.”

“Okay,” Sean said having heard the idiot comment quite clearly. He wondered what had provoked that. He said, “I’ll need the keys.”

“Do you have any money?” she asked as she handed over the set of car keys.

Sean frowned and answered, “I don’t think I’ll need to buy any gas to get to her house. It is five houses over.”

“You and Suzie might want to get some ice cream after dinner,” his mother said.

“Oh, I didn’t think of that,” Sean said thinking that this little dinner was turning into a bit more than just dropping by for a bite to eat.

“Go get some money,” his mother said.

Sean went to his room and got ten dollars out of his drawer. It was the first time in ages that he had actually removed any money from it. He picked up his wallet and put the money in it. If he was driving, he would need his driver’s license. Convinced that there wasn’t anything else for him to take, he paused in front of the mirror and checked his reflection. Grinning, he said, “Sean Connery Michaels, agent double o zero, is ready for action.”

He headed for the front door convinced that he was prepared for this dinner engagement. As he reached the door, he came to a stop. His mother was blocking the door with her hands behind her back. He asked, “What now?”

“I just want to go over the checklist before you head out,” she answered.

“What checklist?” Sean asked frowning.

“You showered, shaved, brushed your teeth, combed your hair, dressed nicely, and got some money. Did you get your driver’s license?”

“Yes, Mom,” Sean answered patting his wallet that nested in his back pocket of his pants.

She looked at him for a second and then said, “There’s something missing.”

After checking to make sure that his zipper was up, he asked, “What’s missing?”

“Flowers,” his mother answered holding out the bouquet of flowers she had been hiding behind her back.

“Flowers?” Sean asked with a sinking feeling in his stomach. He could just imagine how Mrs. Emery would react to him showing up with flowers. He said, “I’m not too sure about this. Suzie’s mom is liable to get the wrong idea. The only thing she hates more than cats is me and you should hear what she likes to do to cats.”

“Mrs. Emery doesn’t hate cats,” his mother said laughing.

“You haven’t talked to her about cats,” Sean said shaking a finger at his mother.

His mother shoved the flowers in his hand and said, “Go before you’re late.”

“I would have been there a half an hour ago if you hadn’t kept sending me back to my room,” Sean said.

It was a minute drive to Suzie’s house. He had to drive past the Baxter’s house. Mr. Baxter was out by the street getting the mail from the mail box. The look he gave Sean when he drove past was not friendly. It sent shivers down Sean’s spine.

He pulled into the driveway at Suzie’s house and came to a stop. He had no idea where to park his mother’s car. He sat there for a minute and then decided that he’d park next to Mrs. Emery’s car and hoped that her father had somewhere else to park. He got out and headed towards the door. Although he had been half tempted to leave the bouquet of flowers in the car, he was pretty sure that his mother would find out.

Sean held out the bouquet of flowers and rang the front door. He fidgeted nervously thinking about the kind of reception that he would receive from Mrs. Emery. He hoped that the flowers his mother had given him would make a suitable peace offering. The past few discussions with her had not gone all that well.

Mrs. Emery opened the door and said, “Look at what the cat dragged in.”

“Flowers,” Sean said holding them out to her.

Amused by the gesture, Mrs. Emery asked, “Witless Wonder, would you rather be the cat or what the cat dragged in?”

“Knowing how you feel about the feline species, I think I would rather be what the cat dragged in,” Sean answered.

“Smart,” Mrs. Emery said, “Save the flowers for someone your own age.”

“Yes, Mrs. Emery,” Sean said thinking it was rather remarkable that she would make that particular suggestion. He thought that his mother sure would be surprised when he told her about that.

Mrs. Emery stepped back and said, “Come in.”

“Yes, Mrs. Emery,” Sean said sidling past her.

“You look nervous,” Mrs. Emery said.

“Not at all, Mrs. Emery,” Sean said looking down at the flowers in his hand. He hoped that Suzie didn’t misinterpret the flowers and get angry at him. He’d hate to lose her as a friend and wondered if that wasn’t the reason Mrs. Emery was suggesting he give the flowers to Suzie.

Mrs. Emery smiled at the worried expression on his face. He looked like he was about to face a firing squad. She said, “You look like a little lamb being led off to slaughter.”

“Mrs. Emery, don’t take this the wrong way, but I have a feeling that you don’t like animals very much,” Sean said.

“Actually, I’m quite fond of animals,” Mrs. Emery said chuckling.

Sean looked skeptical for a second and then said, “So long as they aren’t cats or lambs.”

Mrs. Emery said, “Suzie is in the living room. Why don’t you take the flowers to her?”

“You won’t get angry?” Sean asked.

“Go give her the flowers,” Mrs. Emery said pointing down the hallway towards the living room.

“Yes, Mrs. Emery.” Sean wasn’t about to argue with her although he was halfway convinced that she was trying to drive a wedge between him and Suzie. All he needed was for Suzie to get the wrong idea and he’d lose the only real friend that he had. Swallowing heavily, he made his way down the hall. He knew the way to the living room having played in it as a kid.

Sean stopped as soon as he entered the living room to look at Suzie. He couldn’t believe what his eyes were seeing. Suzie was standing at the other end of the room looking at him. She was wearing a very nice dress that was far shorter than he figured her mother would allow. It showed off her legs from upper thigh to shapely ankle. The upper part of the dress was cut pretty low as well. The swell of the upper parts of her breasts were exposed to his view. Her hair had been styled that day and looked very nice the way it framed her face.

It took him a full fifteen seconds to get control of his voice. Thrusting the hand that held the flowers forward, he said, “I have some flowers for you.”

Suzie looked at the flowers and ran across the room. She gave him a quick hug. Taking the flowers from him she said, “I can’t believe that you brought me flowers. That’s so sweet.”

When Suzie hugged him, Sean had absolutely no idea what he was supposed to do. After he started feeling dizzy, he figured that a good beginning would be to start breathing again. The top of her dress looked even better up close. He looked at Suzie and saw that she was glowing while holding the flowers.

He took a breath and then realized that they might not be alone. Sean looked back to see if Mrs. Emery was coming with a knife. She was grinning at him. He wasn’t sure what that meant, but the idea of the angel standing in front of him caused him to turn back to Suzie.

He was pretty sure that he should say something to her. The first thing that came to mind for him to say to her involved describing how he’d love to run his hands over her body. Fortunately his better sense prevailed and he said, “You look lovely.”

Suzie looked up at him from the flowers and said, “You’re looking particularly handsome yourself.”

“You look beautiful,” Sean said deciding that lovely wasn’t an accurate description.

“You’re all dressed up,” she said.

“I like your outfit, too,” Sean said licking his lips. His lips were dry and his hands were sweaty.

“Did you get a haircut?” she asked trying to think of something to say. She licked her lips. Her lips were dry and her hands were sweaty.

“Yes,” Sean answered.

She asked, “Did you go to a barber or did your mother cut it?”

“Mom cut it,” Sean said thankful she was asking questions. At least now he didn’t have to try to come up with something to say.

Mrs. Emery had listened to the conversation trying hard not to laugh. The two kids were looking at each other with cow eyes and blathering on inanely. She asked, “Are you going to hold those flowers until they wilt or are you going to get them in some water?”

Sean shook his head and said, “She threatens cats and protects flowers.”

Suzie laughed at the comment. It took her a moment to get herself together enough to say, “Why don’t you have a seat while I put the flowers in a vase?”

“Okay,” Sean said. He caught himself before sitting down on the floor and moved over to a chair never taking his eyes off of her. When she walked away, he swore that there was an extra sway in her hips that he had never seen before.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close