Outward Bound - Cover

Outward Bound

Copyright© 2020 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 29

Emily and Jessica were led into the Mother’s Council chamber. They were handcuffed and wearing prisoner robes. The security team escorted them to the prisoner’s docket, that had been hastily constructed.

Seated at nine of the council table’s ten positions were the remaining members of the Mother’s Council. Grandmother Seward sat at the center position directly in front of the prisoners. The empty seat at the far side, on her left. This was the traditional seat for the junior member of the council.

When everyone was in their place, Grandmother banged her gavel. “This meeting of the Mother’s Council is called to order. We meet today to consider the punishment of Emily Johnson and Jessica Gibson. The full ships congress has convicted Emily Johnson of conspiracy to commit murder and mutiny. Jessica Gibson has pled guilty of the same crimes. As the leader of the Seward’s Folly, an independent and sovereign ship. I, Grandmother Agnes Seward, have the authority to pronounce sentence in criminal cases. Before proceeding to that duty, I have chosen to allow the convicted to offer mitigation for their crimes. For the crimes of mutiny and conspiracy to commit murder.”

“Jessica Gibson, do you have anything to say that may influence your sentence?”

Jessica was quietly crying. Her shoulders were shaking from her sobs. “Please, Grandmother,” she begged “I’m sorry. I don’t know what more I can say. It was all Emily’s fault, her idea.” Emily screamed, “Bitch, you had your snooty, damn nose in everything we did.”

Agnes banged her gavel. “Silence. If you can’t control yourself Emily, you will be gagged.” when control was restored, Agnes continued. “Jessica Gibson, you stand convicted of conspiracy to commit murder and mutiny. By the laws of this ship, you can be paroled. If that is the case, you will be stripped of all possessions, except those needed for life. You would also be banned, and permanently denied any position of authority. But you will be allowed to remain on board. Next, you can be exiled. In which case you forfeit all property to the ship. If we were in open space, you would be placed in a shuttle with enough food, water, air, and fuel to get to the nearest habitable location. But as we are docked in Mars orbit. In your prisoner robes, you will be taken to the gangway hatch and put off the ship. You will be refused re-entry to the ship.”

Agnes paused at that point. She looked at Jessica, a touch of pity in her eyes. “Or the sentence could be death. In which case, you will be taken to the nearest airlock and ejected into open space.”

When she heard this, Jessica wailed and collapsed. The guards escorting her picked her back up, and a med tech waved an ammonia capsule under her nose. When she revived, she began crying uncontrollably. Agnes waited while Jessica got control of herself. “Is there anyone present who can speak in Jessica’s favor?” Agnes looked at each of the seated council members. Then a voice from behind her spoke up.

“Grandmother, may I speak?” Agnes turned. It was her secretary, Mary.

“Certainly, Mary, if you have something to say, by all means, go ahead.”

“Grandmother, I am not a friend of Gibson. Never have been. I find her actions reprehensible and repulsive. But at the same time, I am motivated by my sense of mercy. I ask that Jessica Gibson be exiled from our ship, our home, and our family. And that her name be removed permanently from the family rolls.”

Agnes leaned back in her seat. She appeared to be deep in thought. After a moment, she stood. “Jessica Gibson, I judge that you be exiled from the Seward’s Folly. That all your possessions and properties be forfeit to the general fund of the Seward’s Folly. And that you be escorted to the Mars station gangway. Wearing only the clothes on your back and removed from our family and our ship. Do not return to this ship. Do not contact any member of this ship or this family. If you are found within the ship, you will be executed by spacing at the nearest airlock. Guards remove this person from our ship.”

The guards had to lift Jessica and physically carry her from the room.

Agnes sat back down and put her head in her hands. For several minutes nothing was said. Mary stepped up and touched her shoulder. “Grandmother, do you need a break?” The concern was evident in her voice.

Agnes looked up at her and smiled. “No, Mary, I’m alright.”

She then sat up straight and looked around the room. “Is there anybody that needs a break?” Emily started to speak. “Not you mutineer. You no longer have a voice in this chamber.”

“If nobody needs a break, let’s get this taken care of now.”

“Emily Johnson, do you have anything to say that may influence your sentence?”

Emily stood upright head high, her face disdainful. Silent.

There was a pause, then Agnes continued. “As already stated, you stand convicted of conspiracy and mutiny. The possible sentences are parole, exile, or death.”

“Is there anyone present who can speak in Emily’s favor?” The room was silent. Some looked away from Emily. Others stared at her with open contempt.

Agnes waited a moment. Then proceeded. “No one speaks for you, Emily. Therefore, it falls on me to pronounce your fate. Emily Johnson, your sentence is death.” there were several gasps from the members. There was silence from Emily. She just glared at Agnes.

Agnes looked to the guards at the rear of the room. “Gentlemen.”

The guards opened the council door, two men and two women entered. They were wearing the infamous red camouflage of the Mars Confederacy Rangers. They came into the room and spread out. It was apparent by the way they looked around. They were uneasy about being on unknown ground.

Agnes stood. “Welcome to the Seward’s Folly Rangers.” She then turned to Emily. “Emily Johnson, having been sentenced to death. I, Agnes Seward, now commute your sentence to exile from our ship and our family. Normally, we would escort you off the ship. However, we have learned that Mars Confederation has a warrant for you. The three assassins you hired to murder me, who we have turned over to the Mars authorities, told the Rangers of a murder they committed. A murder you ordered. Susan Hanson formerly one of your aides. As that murder occurred on Mars, the Mars authorities have asked that you be turned over to them. I have agreed to this.”

Emily stared at Agnes. The look of arrogant disdain slowly changing to one of disbelieve. “No, you can’t. I refuse to let you.”

“You are to be turned over to these Rangers. Who will escort you to the surface to face those charges. By the way, it is my understanding that murder is a capital offense on Mars. That the preferred method of execution is hanging. I should remind you that with the lighter gravity on Mars, it can take a very long time to die. The other penalty is life imprisonment at hard labor. My understanding is that this labor involves the Trans-Martian subway tunnel, which is being built by hand.”

Agnes called to the Rangers, “Ladies, Gentlemen, she’s all yours.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close