Outward Bound - Cover

Outward Bound

Copyright© 2020 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 21

One of the most challenging things about a new command, for both the crew and the Commander, is arriving at an agreeable interaction system. Now the Commander can demand certain things, but he can’t know how things should work for each and every little thing.

The crew is also at a disadvantage. There is a fear, real or imagined, on how the Commander will react to bad news, or if things are not going according to plan.

April had been helping with the bridge crew. If it hadn’t been for her, I probably would have spent all my time on the bridge. With her help, I was able to get off the bridge and do what was needed in other areas of the ship.

I did try to show up first thing in the morning to take the overnight reports. April also made it a point to be there. I expected two things when I arrived on the bridge. One was a fresh cup of coffee, and the other was a report from the Officer of the Day. I was particularly interested in any problems that effected the ship or crew safety. If there was a problem, I wanted to know what was being done to fix the problem.

This morning started as usual. When I stepped through the door, a mess steward handed me my coffee and asked if I would like a donut. I declined. Standing next to my command chair was April and a young man. I thought I recognized him as a freshly minted Lieutenant. As I sat in my chair, I expected him to start briefing me. But that didn’t happen, April started speaking.

“Captain Sullivan, you have a couple of visitors in your ready room. It is important that you meet with them as soon as possible.”

“Ok, Exec, let’s get the morning report taken care of first, then I’ll see whoever it is.”

“No, Sir, I’ve already taken care of that. There’s nothing in the report that needs your attention. And you must see these people now.”

Like all Commanders, I have an intense dislike being told no. But as a husband, I have learned that when my wife says no, it means ‘I will be obeyed.’ The best thing that can be done is say ‘yes dear’ and do as you’re told. My problem was the dozen people in the room trying very hard to look like they weren’t listening. If I didn’t handle this right, I was going to lose face with my bridge crew.

“XO, if you say it’s important, then I’ll take your word for it.” Then, raising my voice, I continued, “And if anybody on this bridge giggles, laughs, or chuckles, I’ll have you scraping barnacles off the hull.” I stood up from my chair, and with what little dignity I had left, walked out of the room. As the door was closing, I heard a frightened voice ask, “What’s a barnacle?” April had that little half-smile that she usually reserved for practical jokes.

As I came into the ready room, I found Doctor Holland and a stranger. “Doctor, I hope that this is important. I dislike interrupting my morning report.”

“Yes, Sir, my apologies. May I introduce Harold Morell. He is the educational Headmaster for the Folly. I wanted you two to meet, and seeing as how we all need to discuss the same subject, I thought it would be best to get it over with quickly.”

“Very well, Doctor go ahead, what is so important?”

“Professor Morell, I think it best for you to start.”

I was beginning to get frustrated. “Gentlemen, I don’t care who starts. But if you don’t prove that you aren’t wasting my time, I’ll be leaving.” I stood up and hesitated.

Morell wasn’t what you would imagine as the typical academic. At 6 foot and an easy 225 pounds, he was well built. But his red hair was a shocking attention-getter.

“Captain,” he started “For the past several days, I have been interviewing and evaluating the Holt family. I understand,” he motioned to Doctor Holland, “That you are their sponsor.”

“Correct Headmaster, I feel we have an obligation to all three of them. That their survival depends on us.”

“Hmm, yes.” it seemed that he was upset at being interrupted. “As the case may be. Now Mrs. Holt. She is of average intelligence and education. Nothing outstanding, except for one thing. She is an excellent seamstress. And not just with a sewing machine. I’ve looked at some of her hand work. It is quite remarkable, as good as machine work.”

“That’s nice to know Headmaster. But is there a need for a seamstress anymore. It seems to me that automation has eliminated the need.”

“Quite the contrary, Sir. Mrs. Holt has already been contracted by several of our crew and family for sewing work. Her work quality is gaining a reputation. It also appears that she is equally talented at knitting embroidery and macrame. I have seen her examples, and it is amazing. She even claims a talent for something called ‘tatting.’ it is a lost art for lace making.”

“Good for her. It’s nice to know she won’t become a burden on the ship.”

“Far from it, Captain. Her talents are something that will fit in with our educational goals. You see, Sir. We require our young people to stay in our program until they have demonstrated competency in what we consider ‘life skills.’ these include being able to read and write, basic math, and English. We also cover the sciences and engineering. Nothing too advanced, just a familiarization. We also include what some consider non-standard areas. Such as cooking, basic mechanics, first aid, and survival. Both space and dirtside.”

“Sounds like a good plan. But what about afterward. All of the basic stuff is ok, but what about the higher stuff.”

“That’s when we give our children an option. Over the years that they are in our system, we are constantly evaluating them and their abilities. When they are ready, we give them a choice. If we can offer professional education, they want, then we use an apprenticeship type system. If we can’t provide what they want, we will support them in their efforts off the ship. That is if we are docked. We will provide them with tuition and other costs when they finish that we offer them another choice. They can return, or they can go out on their own. But we make sure they know that our door is always open that they are free to return. Some don’t, but most do come back sooner or later.”

“Again, that sounds like a good plan. But I have the feeling there is more to this.”

“Yes, Sir, I know this has been a roundabout way of saying this. But I’m almost there. Next is what I would like to introduce to our program and how Mrs. Holt will fit in with my idea. What I would like is to reintroduce an old program that was available in my grandparents day. I want to reintroduce Home Economics.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close