Outward Bound - Cover

Outward Bound

Copyright© 2020 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 12

David Barth, April, and I were in my ready room discussing the Security resupply wish list and the installation of some new equipment. And the groundside technicians that had to be brought in for it. When alarm klaxons started sounding. And an Intruder alert was announced on the public address system.

“Intruder alert, Isolation protocols are going into effect, Airtight doors are being secured.”

I looked at David. I could tell that the same thought was going through our minds, an intruder while Docked? While we were trying to figure out what was going on, a new voice came on the overhead, “Murphy, what are you doing?”

“Sir, you said to let everybody know.”

“Yeah, but not the whole ship. I wanted you to advise the security team.” there was a pause “Murphy, is that mike hot?” followed by an audible click and the noticeable sound of dead air on the overheads. The ready room phone started ringing.

April picked it up. “Yes Lieutenant, yes he’s here. Yes, he heard. We all did. I think everybody on board did.” she held up the phone towards David. “Marshall Barth, Lieutenant Westerman would like to speak to you?”

“Thank you Ma’am, please put it on speaker.”

“Marshall Barth, Lieutenant Westerman Officer of the Day here. I’m assuming you heard the alert?”

“I sure did Lieutenant. Please update the command staff and me.”

“Yes sir, as you are aware, we have been doing a heel and toe survey of the ship’s exterior. Earlier this week, we found evidence that some minor thefts were taking place on the reserve ice field. We set up a surveillance on that area and have just now apprehended a suspect.”

“Ok good job Lieutenant. What’s the current situation?”

“Well sir, when we took the suspect into custody, his e-suit was in bad shape and blew out. We decided that he needed to be transferred to the medical section. Right now, he is being processed through the airlock to the medics.”

“Very good Lieutenant. I’ll be heading that way.”

I broke into the conversation. “Before you hang up, Lieutenant, and this goes for all of you here. Crewman Murphy goofed up. If you are going to goof up, do it here while we’re docked. I would rather have lessons learned here. Rather than tragedies suffered in the belt. I want it stressed to everybody that crewman Murphy might have made a mistake, but he erred on the side of safety and ship security. But I am sure that this will be a teachable moment for all of the watch staff. Right, Marshall Barth?”

Barth’s face was as red as a stoplight. “Yes sir. I will be attending to this personally.”

April, Barth, and I, as a group left the conference room and started heading for sickbay. As I was coming around the corner just outside. I was tackled by a young, strong, and naked kid. He looked to be about 14 or 15 blond and fair-skinned. When we collided, I did what came naturally, I grabbed him. That was a mistake. The little brat turned into a squirming, punching, dervish. Fortunately, I was able to hang on long enough for two burly orderlies to arrive and get control of him. As they were dragging him back to sickbay, he was yelling at the top of his lungs “Let me go, I didn’t do nuffin, you can’t prove it.” and as the doors closed behind him “I want a lawyer.”

As we followed the ‘Intruder’ and the orderlies into sickbay Doc Holland was standing by watching the orderlies take the kid into a room. We could hear him yelling even with the door shut.

I grinned at Doc and asked, “Well Doc, what’s the word on him.”

Holland had a look of exasperation on his face. “When he was brought in, he was unconscious, or so I thought. We stripped off that e-suit, a very poor handmade imitation, and what passed for clothes. He’s young, maybe 14 or so. Borderline malnourished. But the biggest problem was anoxia. He was half-dead from a lack of oxygen. That e-suit of his was leaking like a sieve. I put him on oxygen and was getting an IV ready when he bolted.”

The racket from the treatment room had quieted down, and one of the orderly’s stepped out. “We’ve put a gown on him and restrained him Doctor, anything else?”

Before Holland could say anything, I interrupted. “You mind if I talk to him Doc?”

“No, I don’t have a problem.” he turned to David. “Unless you’ve got an objection Marshall Barth?”

“No, not me. One thing Captain, be careful. We have no idea how dangerous he is.”

“I’ll be careful.” as I stepped into the room, I told the orderly to leave us alone. He very reluctantly left us alone. The kid was lying on the bed, his arms secured to the sides of the bed with leather and canvas cuffs. His ankles were similarly secured together and then buckled to the foot of the bed.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close