Outward Bound - Cover

Outward Bound

Copyright© 2020 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 1

Crowd noise seeped into the room. Not loud or raucous, just the usual sounds of a large group of people waiting.

The room was small, not much larger than a closet. Just large enough for a table and two chairs. A man and woman occupied the chairs. Both were older, well past middle age. The lady had an air of quiet dignity and grace. With the confidence usually found in those used to being in a position of authority. She was dressed in an unadorned black kimono. She wore no jewelry.

The gentleman With her was wearing a military-style dress uniform. A set of pilot’s wings on his breast and four gold braids on his sleeves. It was apparent that age was weighing heavily on him. It showed in his slumped shoulders, and the bags under eyes that had seen too much. His hands trembled slightly, even though his arms rested on the table.

The lady’s face showed the concern she was feeling. “Alan, do you have to leave? We can make accommodations for you if you need it.” the woman spoke gently with a hint of desperation.

“Agnes, my mind is made up. Ever since Kathy passed on I have just been going through the motions. You have to remember I damn near lost the ship to those pirates last year and you know it. I just don’t have the passion anymore. You need, and the ship deserves a younger Captain.”

“What if we promote you to Commodore and give you a place in the Congress. I really don’t want to lose you Alan. Both your experience and your friendship.”

Tears started to well in Captain Greene’s eyes. “If I didn’t know better, I would think that you were trying to make a pass at me Agnes.”

“Would that be such a bad thing Alan?” She reached out and collected a tear from Captain Greene’s cheek.

“No Agnes, that wouldn’t be a bad thing. But it’s something that cannot be. I would have Kathy’s memory, and you would have the ship. I know with you that it will always be the ‘Seward’s Folly’ first and foremost on your mind. I would just be in the way.”

Pausing for a moment, he continued. “You needn’t worry about me. My eldest son has a comfortable spread at the north Mars pole. He got lucky and found a large pocket of ice. He’s built up his terraforming operations, and his hydroponics have started attracting neighbors. He is even an oxygen producer now and a bigwig in the local politics. I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I’ve also talked Clyde Beaver into joining me.”

“Beaver? Isn’t he a cultured meat expert?” Grandmother asked.

“That’s right.” Captain Greene replied, “He is excess to needs on the ship’s roster and has asked for retirement. you granted it last week.”

“Damn you Alan, you are stealing my experts out from under my nose.” there was no sting to her statement. Both of them knew that either of them would give the other anything they asked for.

“No, not your experts. Clyde was due to retire anyway. I am, however, stealing some of your stem cells. I’ve got starter batches of chicken, beef, and pork packed and shipped. Everything, myself included, should arrive at my son’s place at about the same time. Don’t worry. I’ve deposited the payment amounts to the ship’s accounts. So, it’s not stealing, just an unusual business transaction.”

“Alan, you old fool, I was pulling your leg. All you have to do was ask, and anything we have would be yours. when I find those credits, they’ll be going straight back into your account.”

The side door opened, and a smiling young lady poked her head in. “Grandmother, Captain, we’re ready.”

“Thank you, Mary. Well, Alan, the mob awaits us. shall we satisfy their needs?”

As the Captain wearily pushed himself up from the chair, he smiled at Agnes. “Yes, Grandmother, into the dragon’s mouth once again. Together we will weather the storm.”

Agnes gave an uncharacteristic giggle. “Alan, you are a silver-tongued devil.”

As they headed towards the sounds of a large gathering of people. Emily Johnson, dressed in the black Ao-Dai, a symbol of her position on the Mother’s Council. Laid her hand on Grandmother’s arm.

“A word before we join the family Grandmother?”

“What is it Emily, nothing serious I hope?”

“Grandmother, we need to talk about your plan for the next mission. It’s foolhardy and could kill us all.”

“Emily, this is not the time or place for this discussion. We will discuss any future mission agendas at the next Mother’s Council meeting. You will have the opportunity, just like everybody else, to voice your concerns. but standing in a public hallway with absolutely no security. This is not the place for that discussion.”

Grandmother looked down at the hand gripping her arm. Then back up to Emily’s eyes. She stared at Emily for a moment until the younger woman released her grip. Then she and Captain Greene continued walking down the hall. She was quickly joined by two other Council members who escorted her to her place on the stage.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close