The Inheritance - Cover

The Inheritance

Copyright© 2018 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 11

As I walked in, Mabel called out. “Mr. Reynolds, welcome back. You weren’t gone very long. Is there something wrong?”

Glancing around at the usual crowd, I replied “Yes Mabel, I need you to call the doctor. I’ve got Percy Wilcox out back with a busted leg.”

At that announcement there was a rush of people out the door. Mabel was on the phone before the last one was out the door. After calling the doctor, she brought a cup of coffee over. “What happened?” she asked.

“It’s a long story Mabel. I think you better call the Sherriff too.” A shocked look crossed her face. Looking back over her shoulder at me, Mabel headed back to the phone. Before I had finished my coffee, Paul walked into the diner.

“Would you like to tell me what the hell’s going on Reynolds?” as Paul got closer, I could see that his hand was on his pistol.

Keeping my hands on the countertop I replied. “You don’t need to worry about me Sherriff. I’m not going to try anything.”

Paul visibly relaxed. “Ok, that’s nice to know. But I still need an explanation. Percy Wilcox is out there screaming to high heaven that you tried to kill him.”

I took the next 10 minutes telling Paul the short story about Percy’s assault. Paul kept quiet during the story. Occasionally making notes. When I finished, he said. “Ok, I’ve got your side of the story. Now I’ll talk to Percy and get his side.”

“That’s going to be awhile Paul.” We both turned, a short, heavyset man with white hair was standing just inside the doorway.

“What’s the verdict doc, Percy going to survive?” Paul asked.

“Yup, besides the broken leg, and some minor cuts and scrapes, there’s nothing majorly wrong with him. Of course, I won’t know for sure until we can get some x-rays. I’ve got him in my office, waiting on the ambulance to take him into Salmon.” Paul pondered for a Minute. “Can I talk to him?”

After a moment’s thought, Doc Stone replied “You can talk, but I doubt if he’ll be able to answer. I’ve got him on painkillers right now. Probably tomorrow or the next day. But right now, he’s out of it.”

“Ok, that pretty much decides what’s next.” turning back to me he said, “I’m going to have to lock you up Reynolds. At least until I can talk to Percy. Are you going to give me any trouble?”

As I stood up, I said, “No, I’ll come peacefully. I just hope you remember one thing. If I’d wanted Percy dead, why would I bring him down here and call for you and the doctor?”

Walking out of the diner Paul said, “That thought had crossed my mind. But it doesn’t change the fact that I’ve got to detain you.”

Turning to Mabel, I asked “could you take care of my critters Mabel? I’m going to be tied up for a few days.”

“No problem Mr. Reynolds. You’ve already paid for the service. I haven’t heard Percy’s side of this, but I agree, if you wanted him dead, there would be a shallow grave up in them hills.” As Paul and I headed to the jail, the ambulance with Percy was pulling out.

The next 3 days weren’t too bad. Granted I was in a cell, but I’d been in worse. Breakfast and dinner came from Mabel’s. I could even order what I wanted. As long as I didn’t go over $10 a day. I also spent a lot of time talking to Paul. It started with Paul going over what I’d already told him. But after a while, we got around to swapping war stories.

I told him about the Army, Iraq and how I’d gotten there. He told me about his adventures as an MP in Germany when the wall came down and the madhouse of Eastern Europe when the Soviet Union collapsed. Between tall tales, and a few laughs, I got to liking Paul. We may not have been best buddies, but we were friends.

On the afternoon of the third day, Paul unlocked my cell and told me I had visitors. When I asked who, He wouldn’t elaborate. “Great,” I thought to myself, “maybe now I can meet the power brokers. But then again that might not be such a good thing.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close