The Inheritance - Cover

The Inheritance

Copyright© 2018 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 8

The next 2 weeks at the cabin were spent looking everything over. Between searching and cleaning, the cabin itself took a couple of days. The next week and a half were spent on the acreage itself.

I started out riding the fence line. Then moving in and checking the interior. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn’t really suitable for cattle. The winters would be too cold, and trying to drive a herd to a road for load out would be next to impossible. At best Jake could run a few head for his own use. That being said, I noticed that there was enough wildlife to keep a body going for a long time. I also found where Jake had a truck garden growing. It was looking like Jake had sunk down roots. If he wanted to, he could have stayed up here for years without coming down. I’d even tried some gold panning while I was looking around. I did find some color, but it was far short of the mother lode everybody thought was here.

After 2 weeks of looking around, I started thinking about what I was going to do with Jake’s place. It was obvious from his letter that Jake didn’t want the place sold off. I had the same feelings, but I couldn’t decide if I wanted to stay year-round, or if I would treat it like a summer cabin.

I was sitting on the porch enjoying the sun and thinking about what I should do when I heard a low growl from Shadow. Looking up I saw something that, if it hadn’t been so out of place, I probably would have been laughing.

Percy Wilcox was walking up dressed in the most ridiculous outfit I had ever seen outside of a Halloween party. Dressed in leather lederhosen, knee socks and Tyrolean hat. He looked like a German forestmiester on hunt. Choking back my laughter, I called out. “Mr. Wilcox, it’s a pleasure to see you. What brings you up here?”

“Mr. Reynolds, I am afraid this meeting is more official than pleasurable. I must inform you of some developments concerning this property.”

Trying not to laugh I replied “well, that certainly sounds ominous. Why don’t you come up and have a seat. I’ve got some lemonade if you want. It’s powdered, and I don’t have any ice. But it’s cool and pretty refreshing after a long hike.”

Watching Shadow Percy said, “If you would, please, could you remove the dog. I had an unfortunate incident as a child. My fear is irrational I know, but very real.” Slightly irritated, I agreed and took Shadow into the house. I gave him a stay command while I got the lemonade. I knew Shadow would obey the stay. I also knew that he would be in a position to keep an eye on Percy. It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Percy, Shadow didn’t. Shadow didn’t trust anybody.

Giving Percy his drink, I sat down. “So tell me, Mr. Wilcox, what’s so important?”

“Mr. Reynolds, I am sure you are aware that certain individuals would like to acquire this property?”

Cautiously I replied, “Yes, I’ve been told that.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close