A Justice Provider's Tale
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

I was over the ledge pulling her with me and we fell towards a grizzly death. At least that how it must have appeared to these goons.

I was human as I told you for the most part, and that I did have some cybernetic implants. Nothing flashy or illegal, but having a personal gravo adjuster implanted, made it easy to adjust to the many different gravitational conditions and also equalize the strength and agility advantage so many beings had over us humans.

I turned the Gravo adjuster with a mental command, to five percent negative, and instead of falling we were slowly rising. In all this she hasn’t screamed.

My grip on her wrist must have hurting her bad, because my muscles were bionetic enhanced and I was basically three times as strong as a standard human, but I dared not to soften my grip. A crushed hand could be fixed. There was nothing left to be fixed after a fall from this height. Dangling from my left arm I still felt the weight of a grown woman, no matter how slender she was.

My right hand brushed over the auto release of my holster and the TKU jumped into my gloved hand. Nothing could have felt better. The TKU dialed to the Max, I fired. Four gram of Uranium heated to ten thousand degree plasma state, slammed through the floor of the Taxi cab at near light speed. The TKU was one of the few weapons that still had recoil, and it drove me against the upward drift. Whoever sat on that Taxi’s drivers seat had himself a new bum hole that reached all the way through his cranium and the roof of the taxi.

I increased the up-drift as fast as I could to kill the other two. But both of them were gone.

Meanwhile the damaged taxi was drifting upwards and would soon hit the zenith of the dome. The gravo adjuster was not a flight belt, that would give us lift and directional maneuver capability. It only adjusted the affect of gravitation on my body. The wind while not terribly strong had moved us to far from the ledge to reach it.

I pulled her up to get a better hold and said.” Sorry, but the only directions I can do is up and down.”

“Down we go then. I am a good telepath but not a telekinet.” She said wrapping her arms around my neck.

We didn’t have to go down far, two police flyer arrived, One hovered directly beneath us and the other went for the out of control Taxi.

Sitting on the roof of the flyer, we were safely and in no time back on solid ground.

The massive Petharian Captain himself climbed out and stemmed all four of his arms into his sides. “You should be glad we Petharian don’t scare like humans do. Seeing you both jump and fall like that!”

She brushed the windswept hair out of her face. “They got the Nituzzuzh.”

The Captain looked up and grunted. “What I can’t understand, is why the safety fields have not engaged. Kids and old beings are using that Taxi port.”

She said.” I think the Taxi doors only open when a Taxi or flyer is present and”

She then looked at me. “I guess this Angel really can fly.”

--””-- I found myself a little later, back in the police precinct and sitting in the spacious office of Captain Pulzier. Considering the fact that he was a Petharian, it was most likely necessary to accommodate the BaPhy Two giant with a larger room.

While the visitor chairs were Variform, the rest was quite obviously designed with Basic Physical two in mind.

He had more or less deposited me in his office and asked me to wait a moment or two, promising that he and Leeza would be back shortly.

Holding a disposable cup of coffee in my right, I looked around and recollected the recent events in my mind. His desk was untidy and had several damaged PDDs, bits and pieces of writing utensils. stacks of pseudo paper and several cups, mugs and similar containers of coffee and Petharian food.

There were pictures of Petharian in Marine Uniforms and pictures of Marines in Destroyer suits on the walls. A Union Marines flag on one side of the office. It came to no surprise to me, Petharians most likely every single one of them had either served the Union as a Marine or relations to one. To them, being a Marine was a religion and not just a branch of the services.

He had a framed picture of Admiral Stahl behind his desk, wearing a battered destroyer suit, holding a tattered Union flag in one hand, a smoking TKU in the other, while standing on a mount made of twisted war machines and resting a food on a dead ugly looking alien. A reddish sun was rising behind the man who was looking with raised chin into the distance. Quite obviously an idealized, image of materialistic patriotism. To find this particular image of patriotic kitsch here was actually to be expected. I would have been surprise to not to see it somewhere in the Pertharian’s immediate environment. To them, the eternal Warrior was more than a mere e human being. I knew for a fact that the immortal Admiral had on numerous occasions railed and adamantly spoken against this over the top hero worship, but all it ever did was cement the Pertharian’s believe that he really was Narr, the incarnation of the Universes Warrior spirit.

I knew this only because the Saurians were almost as nuts about Stahl as the Petharians.

While the image made me associate things and bring up fond memories of my best friend and mentor Brux. My mind was trying to find an explanation, some kin of connector.

I went on the Andorians trail like I started any other hunt, by finding the Bounty on the JPA list. His last confirmed whereabouts were Maritime planet. Made wiser by past experience I studied the target in great detail.

Sodiban Renow, Raw Mineral trader for Sunders & Brown Mineral and Ore Dealers Inc. had fallen in love with Meria Kulow.

Unfortunately his brother, also had fallen for the same woman. That she was working as the executive assistant of old Carl Sunders, the XIIth and managed to get Marigor Renow, his brother promoted to Vice president, called off the already proposed wedding and moved in with Marigor blew a gasket in Sodiban’s mind. He killed his brother, tried to frame him with the theft of a freighter load of Boron but he wasn’t the criminal he thought he was. Marigor of all people discovered his frame job and the murder.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close