A Distorted Future (2.0) - Cover

A Distorted Future (2.0)

Copyright© 2018 by A19M50

Chapter 8: The Prelude of Darkness

The great god of purity, Lucien. He created light itself along with all the positive energy in the world. He created four children each with tremendous power and skill. Each of his children was separated at birth after the eldest lost control of his power and became overtaken with negative energy.


I broke through the rubble above me to find myself in an empty wasteland. I couldn’t believe that I managed to survive. The technique hadn’t killed me, however, it did take its toll. All my stamina was completely drained and my body felt more pain than I had ever experienced in my life. Right next to me was a small purple gem in the shape of a ‘V.’ I picked it up and placed it next to the other gem I had. I heard a honking sound behind me and I turned around to see the same car Michael had driven away in.

“Mistery, you did it!” Janet yelled at me.

“I only managed to defeat him by the skin of my teeth,” I said to her chuckling. It was a hard fought battle and I wouldn’t be where I am now if I hadn’t sneaked into my grandfather’s room that day.

“Let me help you up,” Bill said to me. He removed the rubble covering my lower body. He helped me up and took me to the car. My legs were weak and I didn’t have enough strength to stand up or walk.

“About all this chaos, I’m sorry I had to drag you all into this,” I told them

“How many times do I have to say this to you. I want to be by your side from now on. I don’t care what happens to me,” Janet said to me

“I feel the same way, dangerous as it may be this town rarely has anything this exciting happen to it. It gets boring living here your whole life,” Bill said to me. Michael began to look sad

“What’s wrong?” Bill asked him

“My store, it’s gone,” he said to him.

“Cheer up we’ll get you a new one, it’s better than losing your life isn’t it?” Janet tried to cheer him up.

“I’m sorry, I had no other choice. If I hadn’t done that attack I would’ve died for sure,” I told them. It’s better not to tell them that I planned to give my life to save them. Janet would surely get mad at me for attempting such a dangerous technique. Every sign of evil power had disappeared and I was finally at peace. Ever since I landed on this planet I had to watch my back daily from the fear of a greater power. I knew that there were still four gems out there, but for now, I could rest and enjoy my time here on Earth.

“You can finally head home now can’t you?” Bill said to me

“What do you mean?” I asked him

“The giant spaceship, it’s still here,” he said to me

“I need to get to it right now!” I shouted at them

“Don’t worry I doubt anyone will touch it, you should rest up for now,” Janet told me

“I guess you’re right,” I hesitantly said said. It wasn’t like I had any other choice, with the condition I was in it would’ve been impossible to return home.

I was taken to Janet’s house to recover, I was given food called ‘soup’ and a small room to stay in. It was nice and cozy. After a few weeks being bed-ridden, I could finally walk, my bones had healed up and my stamina had returned to me. I walked outside and took a lap around the town.

“Great, my speed has finally returned,” I said to myself

“Well you’re in an awfully good mood,” Janet said to me

“Oh, I didn’t see you there,”

“I guess this is goodbye then,” she said to me with a tear in her eye

“I’m sorry, I know you wanted to stay by my side, but I need to go back to Neptar and report the good news,” I said to her

“Then can I come with you?” she asked me.

“I don’t think that would be a good idea, it’s going to be dangerous and I’m not even sure I can drive that spaceship,” I told her

“I don’t care, I have lived here on Earth my whole life and I’ve never felt like I belonged here. The day I met you I finally became happy and ever since that day I have wanted to be by your side,” she said to me. Her face was covered in tears, she was serious about following me

“If you truly think it’s okay, I won’t stop you,” I said to her. She began to smile,

“I guess I should start to pack my bags huh? She said to me.

“While you’re doing that I’ll go check out the ship,” I told her. I used my speed and ran towards the spaceship which was just behind the mountain range. The ship was huge and there seemed to be many highly advanced tech. I headed towards the cockpit and checked out its coordinates, it was set to return to Otoma.

“I could probably go near Otoma then manually control it to land on Neptar,” I said to myself. There were buttons with clear printing, Neptar and Otoma use the same written language so it was simple for me to understand it. The only problem would be that I didn’t know how to fly the ship, so after I take control of it I must try to get to Neptar as safely as possible. I could probably survive another crash-landing but Janet would be another story. I then heard a click

“Step away from the panel and put your hands up!” a man behind me shouted out.

“Huh? Who are you?” I asked

“Sir, turn around slowly with your hands up,” he continued to tell me. I listened to him, I turned around and I saw an older man pointing a gun at me.

“You’re coming with me, I’m putting you under arrest,” he said to me.

“With all due respect, that gun won’t even manage to scratch me. Why don’t we stop this and talk like civilized people?” I said to him. He put the gun down and approached me, he tied my hands with a metal device.

“I can’t take any chances with you, I know what you’re capable of,” he said to me

“Apparently not enough,” I said to him laughing. I broke out of the ‘handcuffs’ and stared at him in the eye

“I promise you, I have no ill intentions towards this planet. I intend to take this spaceship back home and hopefully leave Earth alone,” I told him. He kept his guard around me, I could tell he was much more powerful than a normal human. However, from the power I felt emanating from him it wasn’t too much to worry about.

“Please step outside the spaceship sir,” he said to me. I followed his orders and took a step outside of the vehicle, as it began turning dark outside, I wondered if I could get away with knocking him out before he said anything more. I took a step towards him and he instantly reacted by firing his weapon at me. I saw the bullet fly towards me and instead of dodging it, I caught the bullet so as to not damage the ship.

“I don’t want to have to hurt you, please just leave this place and pretend you never saw me,” I said to him. The man began to look worried, he picked up his radio and began to input some numbers. I blasted the radio out of his hand and shattered it

“I don’t want anyone else knowing about this, I don’t want to have to threaten you but I will do what I must,” I told him. I was obviously bluffing, I truly didn’t want to hurt him but I had to scare him enough to have him leave me alone. I assumed that he was a high ranking human due to his strength and determination. Suddenly the skies turned completely black, the moon had vanished. It was like we were covered in a black fog. I couldn’t sense any threats around us, but I could hear footsteps slowly approaching.

The dark began to slowly consume everything around us as if we were trapped in an illusion

“Get behind me,” I told the ‘detective.’ He walked behind me and reloaded his weapon

“What’s going on?” he asked me

“I hear someone approaching us,” I said to him. A black figure formed from the fog around us and its eyes were beaming red.

“I’m glad you managed to notice me. I was planning to kill you without notice, but I guess that won’t be possible now,” the figure spoke to me.

“Who are you?” I asked him

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m the next gem you must collect,” he said to me. He seemed to be aware of my mission to collect the gems.

“I’m afraid that your journey ends here, I was sent here by my lord to dispose of you. No hard feelings right?” he said to me. It was hard to understand his emotions, he kept his cool while also speaking extremely aggressive. He wasn’t from Otoma or Neptar and he obviously wasn’t a human, he was something else entirely.

“You all keep mentioning this lord. Who is he and why is he trying so hard to get rid of me?” I asked him

“I have no authority to answer that question. All you must know right now is you will die where you stand,” he said to me

“Your ‘lord’ has already tried twice, what makes you think you can defeat me?” I asked him. I couldn’t sense a trace of power but I could tell he was incredibly strong just by his way of speaking.

“There’s a reason that I was sent. I am the strongest out of the six gems, I doubt you will even put up a decent fight,” he said to me.

“We’ll see about that,” I said to him. I rushed behind him and delivered a kick to his back. He sprouted an arm behind him and caught the attack

“It’s futile. It might be easier for you to just give up now instead of having to struggle,” he said to me. His arm retreated back inside him, he turned to look at me

“I’ll give you one chance to run away, take it while you can,” he created an opening in the fog.

“I’m not leaving,” I told him

“Hey detective, get out of here before you get yourself killed!” I shouted at him. The man ran outside quickly and shouted back

“You should come too, your first attack didn’t seem to do much,”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close