The Pathless Trail
Chapter XXVI: Partners

Public Domain

Seven men squatted around a camp fire on the river bank. Beyond them, half revealed by the flickering light of the flames, rose the poles of a tambo wherein empty hammocks hung waiting. At the edge of the water lay two canoes.

Five of the men wore the habiliments of civilized beings, though their shirts and breeches were so tattered and stained that a civilized community would have looked askance at them. The other two were nude as savages, but their beards and tanned skins were those of white men. Beards of varying length seemed, in fact, to be the fashion, for everyone present wore one, and all but two were very dark. Of the odd pair, one’s thin face was partly covered by stubby, blond hair, while the other’s jaw was masked by a growth of unmistakable red.

Lifting their cigarettes, the blond man and a tall, eagle-faced comrade moved their arms stiffly, as if still hampered by injuries. Newly healed scars showed on the skins of the rest.

“Injuns are a funny lot,” declared the red-haired one. “There’s Monitaya, now. Keeps us a couple weeks, doctors us half to death, feeds us till we gag, gives us new canoes, sends a platoon o’ hard guys with us to see that we git to the river safe--and don’t even say good-by. No handshake, no ‘Good luck, fellers’--jest a grin like we was goin’ to walk round the house and come right back. And the lads that come out with us done the same--turned round and quit us without a word. I bet if we lived amongst ‘em long we’d git to be dummies, too.”

For a moment there was silence. For no apparent reason all glanced at one of the naked men, on whose skin faintly showed reddish streaks.

“You would,” he said.

“Huh! Gee! Rand’s talkin’ again! First time since we licked them Red Boneheads. Two whole words. Go easy, feller, easy!”

“I will be easy. But it’s time I talked. I am not dumb. I am not crazy.”

The green-eyed man spoke slowly, as if forming each word in his mind before pronouncing it. The rest squatted with eyes riveted on his face.

“I have not talked before because I had to find myself. I had to hear English spoken and become used to it. I had to put things together in my mind. Even now some things are not clear. But I can talk and make sense of my talk. I will tell what I can remember. First tell me one thing. McKay, am I a murderer?”

“A murderer? You? If you are we never heard of it.”

“A man named Schmidt. Gustav Schmidt. German merchant at Manaos.”

“Gustav Schmidt? Piggy little runt, bald and fat, with a scar across his chin?”

“Yes.”

“He’s dead, but you didn’t kill him. He was shot a little while ago by a young Brazilian for getting too intimate with the young fellow’s wife. We heard about it while we were in Manaos, and saw his picture. What about him?”

“I thought I killed him. I struck him with a bottle. I was told he was dead. How long have I been here?”

“You left the States in 1915. It is now 1920.”

“Five years? My God! What has happened in that time? Is my mother well?”

The others looked pityingly at him. Slowly Knowlton spoke.

“Your mother died two years ago from heart trouble. Your uncle, Philip Dawson, also is dead.”

Rand’s jaw set. The others shifted their gaze and busied themselves with making new cigarettes, spending much time over the simple task.

“Poor mother!” Rand said, huskily. “Uncle Phil--he was a good old scout. And I was here--buried alive--only half alive! My head--Tell me, what happened on the night before you dressed my lame foot? I remember clearly everything from the time I woke in the canoe before daylight that morning. Before that there is a blur.”

Knowlton sketched the events of that night, and told also of the glimpse which he and Pedro had caught of the “wild man” while waiting outside the house of the Red Bone chief. A flash lit up Rand’s face.

“So that is how I got my sore head. You struck me with your rifle butt. That explains much. Before I became a wild beast I was shot in the head. The bullet did not go through the skull. It struck me a terrible blow on the crown. When I recovered consciousness I was not myself. I have never been the same until--”

“Gee cripes!” exploded Tim. “That’s it. I seen that same thing up home. Bug Sullivan, it was. When he was a li’l’ feller he tumbled downstairs and hit his head, and for ‘most ten years he was foolish. Then a brick fell off a buildin’ and landed on his bean. It knocked him for a gool, but when he come out of it he was bright as a new dime. Looey, when ye busted Rand with yer gun ye jarred somethin’ loose inside, and now he’s good as any of us.”

“By George! You’re right!” cried the lieutenant. “Things like that do happen. I’ve heard of them. Haven’t you, Rod?”

McKay nodded.

“That is it,” affirmed the Raposa. “I have not been insane. But much was gone from me. My mind was a house full of closed doors which I could not open. I knew who I was and why I was here, but I knew also that something had happened to my brain; knew I was defective; believed I was wanted for murder. So I could not go out. I could only stay here, prowl the jungle, live the jungle life.

“Now that the closed doors have opened again, others have swung shut. I cannot remember much of my wild-beast life here. Some things are clear. Too clear. Torturings and horrible feasts. Perhaps I should be grateful that some things are forgotten.

“But now my life up to the time I was shot is plain again. I talked with a man who had traveled the Amazon and the Andes. I never had seen either, and I was ripe for something new. A steamer was just sailing south, and I got aboard in a hurry. No baggage but a suitcase and five thousand dollars. I had traveled a good deal--Europe, Canada, Japan--and always found that plenty of money was all a man needed. Thought it was the same way here. I’ve learned better.

“I visited Rio--a few hours--and then came up along the coast and inland. At Manaos I got into trouble. Went ashore and got to drinking with two Germans. One of them--Schmidt--grew ugly and said a lot of rotten things about the States. Tell me something, men--is the war over and did our country get into it?”

“It is, and it did.” And Knowlton outlined the epochal occurrences of the world conflict.

“And I missed that, too!” mourned Rand. “But I started a war of my own down here, anyway. When I quit seeing red I had a bottle neck in my hand and both the Germans were down. Somebody said Schmidt was dead. A couple of men tried to grab me. I fought my way clear, hid awhile, got back on the boat without being noticed, and paid one of the crew well to hide me in the hold and feed me. Nearly died from heat and suffocation down there, but lived to reach Iquitos, where my man smuggled me ashore. I thought I was safe there. But before I could make a move to travel on I fell into the hands of that cursed Schwandorf.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close