The Pathless Trail - Cover

The Pathless Trail

Public Domain

Chapter I: Sons of the North

Three men stood ankle deep in mud on the shore of a jungle river, silently watching a ribbon of smoke drift and dissolve above the somber mass of trees to the northwest.

Three men of widely different types they were, yet all cradled in the same far-off northern land. The tallest, lean bodied but broad shouldered, black of hair and gray of eye, held himself in soldierly fashion and gazed unmoved. His two mates--one stocky, red faced and red headed; the other slender, bronzed and blond--betrayed their thoughts in their blue eyes. The red man squinted quizzically at the smoke feather as if it mattered little to him where he was. The blond watched it with the wistfulness of one who sees the last sign of his own world fade out.

Behind them, at a respectful distance, a number of swarthy individuals of both sexes in nondescript garments smoked and stared at the trio with the interest always accorded strangers by the dwellers of the Out Places. They eyed the uncompromising back of the tall one, the easy lounge of the red one, the thoughtful attitude of the light one. The copper-faced men peered at the rifles hanging in the right hands of the newcomers, their knee boots, khaki clothing, and wide hats. The women let their eyes rove over the boxes and bundles reposing in the mud beside the three.

Ingles?“ hazarded a woman, speaking through the stem of the black pipe clutched in her filed teeth.

Notre-Americano,” asserted a man, nodding toward the broad hats. “Englishmen would wear the round helmets of pith.”

Mercadores? Traders?” suggested the woman, hopefully running an eye again over the bundles.

Exploradores,” the man corrected. “Explorers of the bush. Have you no eyes? Do you not see the guns and high boots?”

The woman subsided. The others continued what seemed to be their only occupation--smoking.

The smoke streamer in the north vanished. As if moved by the same impulse, the three strangers turned their heads and looked south-westward, upriver. The red-haired man spoke.

“So we’ve lit at last, as the feller said when him and his airyplane landed in a sewer. Faith, I dunno but he was better off than us, at that--he wasn’t two thousand miles from nowheres like we are. The steamer’s gone, and us three pore li’l’ boys are left a long ways from home.”

Then, assuming the tone of a showman, he went on:

“Before ye, girls, ye see the well known Ja-va-ree River, which I never seen before and comes from gosh-knows-where and ends in the Ammyzon. Over there on t’other side the water is Peru. Yer feet are in the mud of Brazil. This other river to yer left is the Tickywahoo--”

“Tecuahy,” the blond man corrected, grinning.

“Yeah. And behind ye is the last town in the world and the place that God forgot. What d’ye call this here, now, city?”

“Remate de Males. Which means ‘Culmination of Evils.’”

“Yeah. It looks it. Wonder if it’s anything like Hell’s Kitchen, up in li’l’ old N’Yawk.”

They turned and looked dubiously at the town--a row of perhaps seventy iron-walled and palm-roofed houses set on high palm-trunk poles, each with its ladder dropping from the doorway to the one muddy street. Then spoke the tall man.

“Before you see it again, Tim, you’ll think it’s quite a town. Above here is nothing but a few rubber estates, seven hundred miles of unknown river, and empty jungle.”

“Empty, huh? Then they kidded us on the boat. From what they said it’s fair crawlin’ with snakes and jaggers and lizards and bloody vampires and spiders as big as yer fist. And the water is full o’ man-eatin’ fish and the bush full o’ man-eatin’ Injuns. If that’s what ye call empty, Cap, don’t take me no place where it’s crowded.”

A slight smile twitched the set lips of the tall “cap.”

“They’re all here, Tim, though maybe not so thick as you expect. Lots of other things too. Who’s this?”

Through the knot of pipe-puffing idlers came a portly coppery man in uniform.

“Well, I’ll be--Say, he’s the same chap who came onto the boat in a police uniform. Now he’s in army rig,” the light-haired member of the trio exclaimed. “O Lordy! I’ve got it! He’s the police force and the army! The whole blooming works! Ha!”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close