Rocky Roads
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2018 by UtIdArWa

“BOB’S DISCOUNT FUEL” “We’ll get you out there”

“Going out again Jack?”

“That’s right Steve, my horoscope reads big things in my future. Sooner or later I’m going to find the end of the rainbow.”

“Well, I hope so. Topping off your tanks just about zero’s out your account. The boss double checked beforehand. He told me to let you know, there’s no more credit for you after this.”

“that’s alright, Steve, This one’s a money maker. I can feel it in my bones.”

Sighing, Steve asked, “How you fixed for beans and biscuits Jack. You got enough on board. I can float you a few credits?”

“Thanks for the offer Steve, I provisioned up before I negotiated the fuel. I’m good for this trip. I do appreciate the offer though.”

“Alright Jack. just take a word of advice. When your gauges hit halfway, head for home. The way things are right now, nobody’s gonna come looking for you.”

“You’ve gotta have faith, Steve. The odds are in my favor. Besides like I said, my horoscope say’s I was born under a lucky star.”

“Alright Jack, I believe you. Just remember my advice. You hit half tank, head home.”

“you got it Steve, ‘Dutchman’ signing off.”

After the ‘Dutchman’ had broken off, the fuel boss called in. “Jackson, let me see the credit receipt on that deadbeat.”

Not looking, Steve transferred the record to the command shack. “look boss, I know he had enough to cover the bill, or you wouldn’t have let him dock.”

“Don’t teach your mother to suck eggs boy. I’ve been dealing with his kind for ... What’s this entry as tip?”

Glancing down at his monitor, Steve saw that a 500 credit tip had been added onto his personal account. He also saw that Jack’s account balance was zero. Jack had given him what was left in his account.

“Boss, I don’t think you need to worry about Jack Anderson. If he comes back in, I’ll be surprised.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close