Rocky Roads
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2018 by UtIdArWa

“Oh, my, god!” Jimi exclaimed. All of the dates were over 30 years old. Scrolling down to the last entry, Jimi noted it was an audio file.

“Well, it looks like this is my last entry. The main batteries died about 10 minutes ago. The air’s ok, food’s thin, but without juice, I’m a goner. It’s been 2 years since I sent out the last rescue beacon, I should have at least heard something by now.”

Jimi thought back to his history classes. At about the time those beacons would have been in range, the earth/martian war had been heating up. It was unlikely any of them would have picked them up, let alone a rescue mission being sent out.

“If and when this snowball gets back, I’m going to be long gone. So I guess this is my last will. Let’s see, who gets what? Well, lets see, there’s that cute hooker at Mosley station, she gave me a dose. my sister back in chicago, never did like the cantankerous bitch. the ex-wife in seattle, no she had her chance to suck me dry. nope none of em get’s shit. It seems the only one left is whoever listens to this. Whoever you are, it’s all yours. I’ve dusted the surface, so you’ll be able to hide it from casual scans. I’ve also rigged a cable web to hold her together. I’ve stripped the shuttle thrusters and got them trying to slow this hog down. Fat lot of good it done me. They’ll probably be dead by the time you get here. The only thing I ask is that you keep me away from the reclamation ghouls. Never could stand those creepy bastards. If you can, please send me back out to the deep dark. I’ve spent most of my time out here, I’d appreciate it if you sent me back out. And every once in a while, drink a cold one for Jack Anderson. Well guess that’s about it. Full sails and safe harbors brother.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close