The Cuckoo's Progeny - Cover

The Cuckoo's Progeny

Copyright© 2016 Vincent Berg. All rights reserved.

26: Escaping Humanity

“Finally, here’s a news item which shocked the world but didn’t actually impact anyone. Observers on the east coast reported an unidentified flying object, a UFO, launching into space, though the exact location of the launch isn’t known. The military scrambled jets to investigate the incident, but couldn’t determine where it launched from. The region is remote, undeveloped and not suited for launching spacecraft. It exhibited no known method of rapid acceleration required to escape the atmosphere, so it apparently used an unknown, advanced method of acceleration.

“NASA is requesting any videos of the object so they can determine its characteristics, as well as any indication of what it was doing.

“It’s rumored that the group led by the young man, one Albert Collins, who was seen on the web dancing around police bullets, were the ones responsible. They were from the same area, and it’s said they were dropped off in the region the launch is thought to have occurred in. The authorities are investigating these individuals to see what they can learn.

“Yes, folks, it appears we were visited by aliens. Only no one noticed, no one saw anything, and they apparently weren’t interested enough to do anything. The craft disappeared from view once it left the Earth’s atmosphere, radar and optical telescopes were unable to track it. I guess we still have a lot to learn before we’re ready to communicate with the denizens of other worlds.”


“I wonder what everyone thought when they saw us flying away?” Betty asked. “It’s not every day you see an unidentified ship zipping off into space.”

“I doubt it’ll disturb anyone’s sleep, just as our disappearing won’t bother anyone,” Lamar said. “We were never accepted as humans, so I’m unconcerned with how they feel about our absence.”

“Can they detect us in space?” Eli asked.

“Clearly many saw us leaving, as it was during daylight and we were easily visible,” the One answered. “Once we left the atmosphere, the nature of our ship makes us invisible. They can’t detect us with radar, and our ship won’t reflect light. What’s more, we won’t pass any bodies where we’d be silhouetted. We’re used to dealing with other cultures.”

“So what’s the plan going forward?” Mui asked. I’m excited about checking out the exterior of the ship, now that we’re free of the oppressive pressure of being that deep underwater.”

“You’ll get your opportunity,” the One explained. “Our trip will take a long time. It’ll take several of your months to travel out of your solar system. We can’t travel very fast while there’s still a risk of encountering stray objects, which is why Alpha possesses his clairvoyance. It’s a trait required for starship captains, and it’s extremely rare, even with our enhancements.

“Beside your other duties, most of your time will be dedicated to learning Tandark, our native language, the details of our culture, politics and brushing up on your rudimentary understandings of science and technology.

“When we arrive, it’ll take another couple of months to make our way into your new home world, but the longest part of the voyage will seem the shortest. Since we’ll be traveling faster than light for most of it, you won’t notice any time passing at all. However the intricacies of the technology are essential to understanding what occurs. Faster-than-light travel involves expanding space ahead of the ship, which then pulls the ship along as the ship maintains its speed, and contracting it behind us. There’s a momentary lag in the process. We’re traveling faster than light in fits and stops, but it momentarily slows to sub-light speed, so most of your awareness of activities will occur during this time. This slowdown allows the Alpha captain to detect any problems and make corrections on the spot.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close