The Cuckoo's Progeny - Cover

The Cuckoo's Progeny

Copyright© 2016 Vincent Berg. All rights reserved.

16: Clipping an Opponent’s Wings

“I don’t understand,” Theo said, glancing around the coffee shop. “Why don’t we get a hotel room here for the night?”

“Because, I want to put some distance behind us once they learn where we are,” Al replied, removing his phone and turning it back on. Once it reactivated, he carried it in one hand while getting in line. It rang only a couple minutes later.

“Hello?”

“Is this Albert Collins?”

“It is. May I ask who this is?”

“This is Mary Ticard. I’m the head of domestic CIA operations. Believe it or not, we do have some justified operations within the U.S. borders.”

“Something tells me that’s not why you called.”

“No. I called to inform you that Wayne Powell, a former associate of ours, has been disassociated with us. We’ve gotten court orders barring him from contacting any CIA operative or approaching any closer than five-hundred feet of your group.”

Al chuckled. “The videos are getting airplay, aren’t they?”

Mary sighed. “They’re trending on all the social media and are slated to appear on the various news programs. We’re being swarmed with calls from around the world, demanding how we can justify such actions.”

“They didn’t believe you when you claimed innocence, did they?”

“No, they didn’t. I informed them Powell was terminated over a decade ago, but it fell on deaf ears. As I said, he’s been cut off so he can’t access any of our personnel now. What’s more, each of the active agents who confronted you is suspended, pending charges being filed. This is a huge embarrassment for us. I’d like to apologize for the entire Agency that this occurred. Frankly, I’m amazed anyone here hired this fruitcake in the first place.”

“Yet, he continues to attract followers throughout your Agency.”

She sighed again, clearly exhausted from defending herself. “Yes. They’re the remnants of Schnoblin’s ghosts, continuing to haunt us decades after his passing. We keep trying to purge them, but his fantasies remain a compelling draw to the overly paranoid.”

“I’m afraid paranoia is part of your job descriptions. It goes with the territory.”

“It’s hardly associated with professionalism,” she countered. “It harkens to those disconnected from reality, focusing more on imaginary demons than on realistic threat assessment.”

“I’m not sure where that leaves us,” Al confided. “As long as he’s free, he’ll continue reaching out to whoever he can. I can guarantee there will be plenty of people receptive to his requests. As a result, we’ve gone into hiding. We won’t resurface until he’s eliminated as a threat.”

Mary paused before continuing. “I can understand your caution. You’re right to be concerned. Here’s my personal phone number,” she said, rattling off a series of numbers. “If you have any issues with him or anyone else from our Agency, I want you to call me immediately. I’ll take care of it.”

“Assuming they confess who they work with. Now that you’ve suspended those agents without charging them, there’s nothing stopping them from continuing their efforts.”

“If they do, they’ll never work for us again.”

“I suspect many of them consider Powell’s wild claims a sufficient threat to ignore your penalties. Fantasy is often more powerful than a pile of statistics.”

“Which is why we need your assistance to root out this scourge from the Agency once and for all.”

“I’ll keep it in mind, but don’t expect to hear from me. I’ll keep my phone turned off, as I don’t want Powell tracing us.”

“Yeah, I noticed you were hard to reach. We’ve been calling you all day.”

“Thanks for the prompt attention, but I suspect you’ve got your work cut out for you.”

Al hung up, and powered down his phone.

“Do you think it’ll do any good?” Betty asked.

“Not in the least. Powell’s wings may be clipped, but he’s far from out. However, this at least gives us a few more options.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close