Jacob's Granddaughters
Chapter 25

Copyright© 2016 by AA Nemo

Christmas Eve 2015

St Anne’s church was filled to capacity and there was a constant undertone of animated chatter as the congregation waited for Christmas Eve Mass to begin. The chatter began to subside as the lights dimmed until finally the only illumination came from two tall candles at the altar. All conversation ceased as the opening notes of the Hail Mary set to Schubert’s melody was played on a classical guitar. Then Sofía began to sing.

Ave María gratia plena

Ave, Ave, Dominus

Dominus Tecum

Benedicta tu in

Imulieribus, et benedictus

Et benedictus fructus

Ventris tui, Jesus

Ave María.

Sofía’s unamplified voice accompanied by the solo guitar filled the church. Her ethereal rendition of Ave Maria, gave Jessica goose bumps as she sat with her leg pressed against Harrison’s in the darkness. Jessica, Jenny and Harrison were attending evening Christmas vigil Mass at St Anne’s. The church was beautifully decorated but for this moment there was nothing that could be seen in the darkness, the congregation was focused on a single amazing voice coming from the choir loft.

Sancta María, Mater Dei,

Ora pro nobis peccatoribus,

Nunc et in hora mortis,

In hora mortis nostrae

Ave María.

When the beautiful prayer ended, the silence seemed to last a long time. It was as if an angel had joined the worshipers on this holy night and had touched their hearts with her singing. As the lights slowly came up, Jessica noticed several people brushing tears.

There was a long pause before the organ started on the opening hymn, Oh come all ye faithful. The congregation stood and took up the song as they watched Father Xavier, resplendent in his white Christmas vestments, come up the center aisle of the church, preceded by three altar servers. As the hymn ended, Father Xavier stood before them and intoned the blessing. Then he smiled and said, “Welcome to all on this night we gather to celebrate the birth of our Savior.”

As Mass got underway Jessica took a few moments to appreciate her blessings. What a contrast with last December when she was a sick, cold and beaten down homeless Kate Brice trudging down a dark road in search of shelter as rain threatened. Her transition to Jessica Brandt had not been without a few bumps, but she was proud of the fact she had persevered. As her Jessica persona fully exerted itself, the nightmares that had plagued her about her uncle or being discovered and humiliated had finally disappeared. After a year her subconscious seemed to have relegated Kate Brice to a fading memory - finally accepting the fact there was no going back. Her only regret was that her memories of Peter and her parents were fading. These days it seemed that Kate Brice was merely a distant acquaintance - a wealthy, reclusive young woman who lived in Chicago, was generous to a number of charities, and maintained a post office box monitored by an intensely loyal man named Dmitri Assonov.

Standing, Jessica stood close to Harrison with her arm looped through his while Jenny, wearing a red velvet dress, stood on her other side holding her hand. Harrison was wearing a suit for a change. Next to Jenny was blonde Jo Archer, stunning as usual in a festive broomstick skirt, black boots and deep red cashmere sweater. Next to her was Matt, also wearing a suit as he held an angelic-looking Grace, who was asleep. Jessica watched as Jo turned and looked up at Matt. She couldn’t see her expression but her body language told it all as Jo held his arm and leaned toward him. Their wedding was set for January sixteenth here at St. Anne’s – Jessica and Harrison were honored to be asked to act as maid of honor and best man.

Jessica smiled as she thought about how quickly Jo and Matt had reestablished their relationship – actually it seemed it wasn’t so much reestablishing as it was resuming. They acted as if their two-year separation had never happened. Since their reunion just a month ago Matt had wasted no time in asking her to marry him and they had already put money down on a house in central Lodi. Matt was adamant that its proximity to Cindy’s house was merely coincidence, although he did admit it would make seeing Jenny easier. The purchase of the house was scheduled to close the week after their wedding. Now they were living in the modular home at Three Corners Farm where Matt shared an office with Xena Skarlatos. Jessica very much enjoyed having Jo and Grace at the farm.

It had amazed her how fast she and Jo had become good friends. In the month since her arrival Jo had charmed everyone she met. Grace had done her part too. She was as beautiful as her mother and had everyone wrapped around her finger, especially Jenny, who eagerly took on the big sister role. Even Banner had joined Grace’s fan club, taking on the duties of dog protector for the toddler. When Jenny was home Banner was one happy dog following his two charges from one house to another and around the yard.

Jessica would certainly miss Jo and Grace when they moved into their own home, but fortunately she would not be far away – nothing in Lodi was far away, and Matt’s relationship with Jessica and Jenny as ‘daddy Matt’ ensured their connection with the Brandt extended family would continue.

She was grateful that Jo had become more than a friend – she had also become an older sister, a mentor, and a sounding board. Jessica also discovered Jo had a wicked sense of humor. She had quickly become a member of their morning exercise group at the YMCA and when Harrison was in the pool and Matt doing ‘guy’ stuff, Jessica, Jo, Rashmi and often Sofía would attend aerobics or yoga class together and would ‘cover each other’s backs’ when the wolves began to circle. Jo had mastered the art of the gentle rebuff, and if that failed to dissuade some of the more persistent then they’d bring in the big gun in the form of Alexandra, ‘don’t call me Xena, ‘ Skarlatos. Xena usually spent her mornings in the weight room, and her reputation from the Dojo as an equal opportunity ass-kicker left no doubt that you didn’t want to cross her. Jo and Xena had also formed a strong bond. On the other hand, for some inexplicable reason Rashmi had been slow to warm to Jo.

Jessica wondered if it didn’t have to do with the trauma Rashmi had suffered in Chicago and the secrets she had to keep. Jo seemed to have an uncanny ability to look into one’s psyche and coax out long-buried secrets. That ability certainly made Jo a good psychiatrist, although Jessica knew that Jo had no current plans to return to practice even though opportunities abounded. In fact, she had confided to Jessica that she was considering a new career as a family practitioner. She wondered how Jo would react to discovering her secret life as Kate Brice masquerading as Jessica Brandt – no that wasn’t right, there was no longer a Kate Brice alter-ego, she was now simply Jessica.

One time Jessica had asked Rashmi if she needed to talk to a professional about what had happened to her, but had been politely rebuffed. Rashmi had insisted that she was more than happy to keep her secret and be Amara ‘Rashmi’ Misra – a young woman with a British passport and student visa. She explained there was no better therapy than being part of a loving family, having an important job and lots of friends. She also pointed out that many victims were full of anger and felt powerless, but on the contrary she had caused her kidnapper severe injuries – injuries which far surpassed her own, while making a successful escape, and then precipitating his arrest. Torching his SUV just added icing to the cake. All in all Rashmi considered what had happened to Patil more than balanced the karmic scale. More importantly, she had met Tom Moore and that chance meeting and her rescue by Jessica had changed the direction of her life. Even with her father’s absence she could not imagine a return to her mother and resumption of her role as ‘Indian’ daughter. She did miss her younger sister, but was confident that someday they would be reunited.

Jessica thought her new identity allowed Rashmi to remove herself from her old reality and the family name Darzi and the horror her father had helped to perpetrate. Rashmi had often told Jessica and Natalie she could not recall a time when she had been happier. Jessica allowed that Rashmi was probably right, and her life depended on keeping her secret safe – at least until Dmitri gave the all clear.

Jessica glanced at Matt and Jo once more. She had mixed feelings about losing Matt to his new career heading up a security firm specializing in protecting entertainment figures. She wanted Matt to do well, but he had been a fixture since May and she was certain he would lay down his life to protect any member of the family, especially Jenny. His last day would be at the end of the year. He assured her it was the opportunity to be his own boss in a growing industry and had really had little to do with his former relationship with Cindy. He was excited to get his new security agency off the ground. Of course, having up and coming promoter Felicity Morgan with more than a dozen entertainers or groups she now had under contract, as an inaugural client helped greatly.

The fact that Xena had moved so effortlessly into the job had also helped a great deal. She had already hired and begun training an additional security person for the Brandt family, an intense young Latina, Olivia Acosta, from San Diego, who had military and police experience.

In the pew in front of her stood Joe and Keri Foss and Joe’s twins, actually now Joe and Keri’s twins since she had formally adopted them. Joe good naturedly told everyone it was just as well since they liked her better anyway. As always, Keri was dressed beautifully although the dark plum-colored wool dress showed just a hint of her pregnancy. She continued to be a good friend and they still met for lunch frequently. She and Jo Archer had also become friends. Keri and Joe were very excited about the new addition to their family, although they claimed with good humor that their enthusiasm was somewhat tempered when they discovered she was carrying twins.

Two sets in the family were going to be more than a handful, although the older girls were very excited about the new additions. Keri had decided to continue to work until the delivery and then Joe would hire a temp until she was ready to come back to work. They had already made plans to convert a portion of the office library into a nursery. Keri had insisted she could return to work earlier since it would beat the heck out of staying at home with two crying infants – she could be at the office with the two babies and she was sure Joe would be ‘very helpful.’


When Mass ended the congregation stood and joined the choir in singing Oh little town of Bethlehem. As they walked out, with Harrison carrying a sleeping Jenny, they were greeted by dozens of people. She was pleased that many still mentioned Jacob – after a year the citizens of Lodi had come to accept Jessica as the rightful heir to Jacob’s legacy, but they had not forgotten him. It made her proud that she was able to continue Jacob’s work in the city he loved so much. She vowed to never let anyone forget him and the good things he had done for Lodi.

Since they had been seated near the front of the church, and had stopped to chat with Joe and Keri and others including Anya and Liza Netrebko, they were some of the last people out. Jessica smiled seeing Xena hovering in the vestibule, trying to be invisible while staying on top of the security perimeter. With her was her shadow, Olivia. Both were dressed in nice slacks and wool sweaters covered by blazers. She knew Xena carried a Glock against the small of her back in a pancake holster. She figured Olivia carried something similar.

Olivia was a petite Latina with huge dark eyes and short-cropped dark hair. Jessica knew Olivia more than made up for her size with a fierce determination to excel at whatever she did. A former gymnast, she had taken to training at the Dojo and at the YMCA. Jessica noted that Xena and Olivia didn’t watch those they protected; they watched others for signs of a threat. She caught Matt’s eye – he had noticed too and smiled and nodded.

As they greeted Father Xavier, he surprised her with a request, “Jessica, could I have a few minutes?”

“Of course.” She stepped aside letting the last of the parishioners file out and turned to Harrison, “Meet at the car?”

“Sure, I’ve got to find Cindy anyway. I think she’s probably still up in the choir loft. I’ll walk her to her truck to get Jenny settled.” Jessica nodded. Jenny was going to spend the night with Cindy and then come home about mid-morning to celebrate Christmas at the farm.

They expected Rashmi and Tom Moore to arrive about the same time. Tom was home in Red Bluff on leave visiting his family and Rashmi had gone to join him three days ago. Jessica had assured her she could do without an assistant for a few days, although she had to admit she missed her mornings with Rashmi and how well she organized her schedule, to say nothing of her home-brewed chai.

Rashmi made no secret of how she felt about Tom and her plans to marry him as soon as he left the Marines. At Thanksgiving he had laughingly asked her if he had any say in the matter and she had simply smiled and said, ‘No.’ The famous passage from the Book of Ruth came to mind as a fitting description of Rashmi’s feelings for Tom; for whither thou goest, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy God, my God.

She had no doubt Rashmi was destined to join Tom and be a rancher’s wife and a veterinarian. She had come a long way from the deathly sick girl Dmitri had scooped from the snowy park bench in Chicago. The Red Bluff community would benefit greatly from Rashmi’s presence. Of course that meant she would lose Rashmi too. In a perfect world Jessica would keep all her friends close, but they insisted on having lives too. It’s just damned unfair.

Jessica happily anticipated the arrival of Natalie and Brendon. They would spend Christmas morning with his family in Chicago and then arrive at Sacramento International early in the afternoon. Matt was already scheduled to pick them up. Just thinking about Natalie made her happy and sad. She missed Natalie terribly.

It wasn’t that Rashmi wasn’t a fantastic assistant and a friend, it was simply she wasn’t Natalie. She was determined, brilliant and resourceful, but in many ways Rashmi was still a child. Perhaps the biggest problem with their relationship was that Rashmi idolized her. In Rashmi’s eyes, Jessica was her hero, her savior and her protector and could do no wrong and always made the right decisions. Rashmi wasn’t a toady; she just looked at Jessica very differently than Natalie. Unlike Natalie, who had already experienced more than her share of adult situations and responsibilities, Rashmi had settled into the little sister role, and at least for now, seemed unable to talk to her adult to adult, although with time...

Jessica smiled as she thought about her relationship with Natalie, who was willing and able to call bullshit on her when she was about to make a decision that might need more thought or should be tabled for a while. Natalie excelled at pointing out flaws or recommending a different approach, which was exactly what Jessica needed. In many ways Natalie had more real world experience than Jessica, but she was catching up fast, especially since she had to adjust to Natalie’s absence.

Natalie was her best friend and even though they talked almost every day it wasn’t the same as having her around. She was happy for Natalie that she was doing so well at the University of Chicago and she had found the love of her life in Brendon, but her absence left a hole in her life. She sighed and willed herself to focus on the fun they were going to have over the next week during their visit.

Fortunately she now had long-time resident Janet Ferguson as friend and confidant. Her relationship with Janet had flourished after their initial meeting to the point where they had traveled to San Francisco together a couple of times to ‘shop, lunch and gossip.’ True to her word, Janet had never again brought up Jessica, although she spoke often and with fondness about Jacob. She really did miss him terribly. Perhaps her ready acceptance of Kate as Jessica was a manifestation of her desire to have some part of Jacob still around and someone who was as committed to his memory and legacy as she was. Jessica and Harrison had quickly been included in her social circle and had even attended family events at the Ferguson household. They had reciprocated on a number of occasions.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Matt spoke. “We’ll wait and walk out with Harrison and Jenny and Cindy.”

Xena approached. “That’s okay Matt; you go ahead and take Jo and Grace back to the farm. Olivia will wait for Harrison and Cindy, and make sure Cindy and Jenny get home okay. I’ll stay with Jessica.”

Jessica could see Matt’s internal struggle, but she watched him relent with a smile as he turned toward Olivia. “Okay, Olivia, time for you to start earning the big bucks we pay you.”

Olivia smiled one of her rare smiles. Jessica was confident as Olivia got comfortable in her job and began to know the family better she would loosen up. Of course having Natalie around over the next week might go a long way to get her to relax a bit. With her winning smile and personality, Natalie had perfected the ability to quickly put people at their ease.

At that moment Sofía arrived. Jessica wasn’t surprised when she walked up to Jo and hugged her. She then moved to Matt and hugged him as he held Grace. She didn’t stir when Sofía kissed her forehead. For some reason Sofía had quickly accepted Jo as the new woman in Matt’s life or perhaps as the ‘right’ woman in his life. She still greeted Matt with affection, but these days it was toned down. Jessica recognized that Sofía acknowledged the strong connections between Matt and Jo, unlike the weak relationship between Matt and Cindy. Sofía turned back to Jo. “Jo, you look wonderful.”

“Thank you, and so do you,” she said with a warm smile. Sofía was dressed in a long fitted wool skirt, burgundy sweater, and boots, her dark hair layered in such a way that it framed her face. Before they could continue, Father Xavier, having changed to dark slacks, shirt, and clerical collar, joined them and took her hands. “Sofía, tienes la voz de un ángel.” She blushed.

Everyone else smiled and nodded. They were then joined by a grinning Felicity Morgan. “Indeed an angel,” she said in her clipped British accent. “My ace videographer recorded it with some low-light cameras and just a couple of microphones. It came out amazingly well and the number of hits on You Tube and social media is already off the charts!” All of them understood when Felicity talked about her ‘ace videographer’ she was talking about her daughter Addison, who was a graduate of the USC School of Cinematic Arts. It was no idle boast since Addison was very talented and amazingly creative.

Father Xavier just smiled and shook his head.

Felicity continued, “Addison and I have already sent the link to everyone on our contact lists, you should open it and view the video.”

Sofía looked a bit embarrassed but Felicity charged on. “What? Once I heard you and Krista in rehearsal and the amazing acoustics in this place, well, there was no way I was going to let that performance go unrecorded.”

They all laughed. Felicity wasn’t one of Father Xavier’s parishioners, but he knew her from his contacts with the members of La Banda Sage. Cindy, Sofía, Krista and Janine were all members of the choir.

At that point a smiling Krista came through the door which led to the choir loft. She was very elegant in a long tailored skirt and a dark green cowl-necked sweater. Her only jewelry was an understated gold filigree cross pendent with matching hoop earrings. Her blonde hair sported the full blown-out look which made her look like a model. She carried her guitar case with practiced ease.

Father Xavier greeted her with obvious affection. “Krista, gracias. Su guitarra y la voz de Sofía dio a todos una vista previa de los cielos.” Krista beamed.

Jo looked a little puzzled and Matt translated, “Her guitar and Sofía’s singing gave everyone a preview of heaven.”

Jo smiled. “Definitely.”

Felicity’s phone chimed with an incoming text but before she could check it Jessica gently took her arm and turned her so she was facing her. Seeing her serious look Felicity seemed a bit puzzled. “Felicity, I’m sure any proceeds from the recording will go to St. Anne’s Church and school. It is Christmas after all.”

She paused, taken by surprise and perhaps rueful that she had bragged about the popularity of Sofía and Krista’s performance. She quickly recovered and gave them all a brilliant smile. “Of course, of course, I’ll be happy to donate my portion although you’ll have to ask Sofía and Krista since they’ll share in the proceeds as will La Banda Sage.”

At that moment Felicity’s phone rang, and seeing an opportunity to escape she disengaged and walked quickly toward the large double doors to the outside giving them a finger wave as she answered the call.

Father Xavier tried unsuccessfully to stifle a laugh. “Jessica, nicely done. When you asked Felicity about the proceeds you did just what your grandfather would have done – actually you sounded just like him.”

I couldn’t have asked for a nicer compliment.

Everyone laughed. “Thank you Father. As driven as Felicity is I think she just forgets what’s important.”

Krista’s smile slipped as she watched Felicity leave. ‘We didn’t perform tonight for money. It was to honor Maria.”

Sofía nodded. “The money es una bendición and should come to Santa Ana.”

Father Xavier nodded, looking thoughtful. “Gracias.” He then smiled, “Perhaps when the money comes I’ll invite her to tour the school and meet some of the students who will receive scholarships from her generosity.”

Sofía was quiet for a moment. “Father, could we set up a scholarship too?”

Father Xavier looked a little embarrassed. “Of course. I’m sorry, I’m not thinking this through because it doesn’t seem real yet, but I expect you and Krista and La Banda Sage will be contributing more money than Felicity.”

Krista smiled. “La Banda Sage scholarship fund?”

“Yes, wonderful! I’ll ask Mrs. Davis at the school to set that up and then we’ll figure out a way to thank you.”

Sofia looked at Krista, “I think just meeting some of the students like with Felicity. Nada más.”

Krista nodded.

Krista then directed the conversation back to Felicity. “Do you think she’ll remember her promise?”

At that moment Alicia Estrada stepped forward. “I couldn’t help overhearing the conversation as I was coming out. Felicity is as good as her word. Unlike others in the entertainment business she’s honest and she looks after the people she has under contract ... although sometimes she can be a little tight-fisted.”

Jo nodded. “I saw her face when she said she would. Jessica’s question really got to her and made her realize where she was and perhaps for at least this Christmas she could think about doing some good with her money.”

Father Xavier nodded. “Doctor Archer, I pray others will be so moved to action on this Christmas.”

Jo smiled, “I do hope this is not just a one-time gift, and perhaps getting to meet some students would go a long way to encourage her continued support of St. Anne’s.”

“Even if she’s not Catholic?”

“Sofía, it might surprise you to know there are a number of non-Catholics in this community who support us. They believe that churches and schools tied to churches provide a moral compass for the families in the community. He looked at Jessica. “And I pray every day that those good people find their way to us.”

Jessica felt a blush begin but at that point Cindy arrived followed closely by Janine. Cindy seemed startled as she looked at the group, but quickly regained her composure. Jessica had never detected animosity between Cindy and Matt or even Cindy and Jo since Jo and Grace had appeared.

Oddly enough, Cindy seemed more relaxed now than when she was dating Matt. Jessica watched Cindy as she scanned the group in the foyer, giving everyone a quick glance except when it came to Harrison, where her gaze tended to linger. At that point she remembered Natalie’s comment on Thanksgiving after observing Matt, Cindy and Jo; “Now Cindy doesn’t have to pretend she’s still not in love with Harrison.” As usual Natalie was right, at least where it came to Cindy.

Cindy hugged Sofía and Krista and with her arms around their waists she asked, “Weren’t they wonderful?”

Everyone responded with enthusiasm and Jessica added, “Felicity has promised that any money she receives from the recording tonight will go to St. Anne’s.”

Cindy feigned shock. “She did? How’d that happen?”

Before anyone could fill her in Jenny, still in Harrison’s arms awoke, looked at her mother, and asked sleepily, “Mommy, is it time to go home? We’d better be asleep so Santa can come.”


With that, the group of friends broke up with hugs and wishes for a Merry Christmas all around. Olivia walked out the door first, looking around the almost empty parking lot. The only illumination was from the few lights in the lot and some street lights. Cindy, with Harrison carrying Jenny, followed in the direction of Cindy’s truck.

A minute later, Matt, reverting to his protector role, was the first out the church door for the remaining women. He then allowed them to move in front of him and they set the pace as they chatted.

Matt heard Sofía ask Krista which one of her admirers she was meeting for a date tonight and he heard Sofía laugh when Krista said, “Santa.”

At that point Sofía stopped and faced Krista and in a quiet voice began to sing,

Santa baby, just slip a sable under the tree for me;

Been an awful good girl, Santa baby

And hurry down the chimney tonight

Then Janine joined her, and arm in arm they sang,

Santa baby a ‘54 convertible too, light blue

I’ll wait up for you dear, Santa baby

And hurry down the chimney tonight.

Matt smiled along with everyone else as they remembered Sofía and Janine, backed up by La Banda Sage, perform a pretty saucy version of the song at Jessica’s annual Christmas party for her employees.

Think of all the fun I’ve missed

Think of all the fellas that I haven’t kissed

Next year I could be just as good ... if you’d check off my Christmas list

Santa baby, I want a yacht and really that’s not a lot

Been an angel all year; Santa baby,

So hurry down the chimney tonight!

Their impromptu rendition of Santa Baby caused laughter all around and Janine quipped, “It’s a good thing Felicity’s not here, she’d make us record that tonight and we’d miss all the boys we haven’t kissed!”

Krista pointed across the parking lot. “Isn’t that her Escalade?”

Wide-eyed, Sofía put her hand over her mouth and stifled a laugh. And then she stopped and struck a seductive pose, one hand on her hip and launched into another verse. Singing softly again she pointed at Matt.

Come and trim my Christmas tree,

With some decorations bought at Tiffany.

I really do believe in you

Let’s see if you believe in me!

The three young women hugged each other as they cracked up in the middle of the parking lot.

Red-faced, Matt tried to hide a grin as he scanned the lot. Jo and Alicia applauded as they joined in the laughter.

Sofía was a treasure, seemingly unaffected by celebrity. She still lived with Alicia and still drove Alicia’s older Honda despite what he guessed was a considerable income from her recordings and appearances. She had told Matt one time that the money was hardly real to her since it went directly to Alicia to be invested and saved and Alicia gave her an allowance each week. She and Rashmi still carpooled to school each day, but as before with Natalie there was the same prohibition on Rashmi getting behind the wheel.

He was lucky that Jo understood about their relationship. He really did care for and about Sofía. It wasn’t just that he had rescued her; it was what she had become over the months since they had arrived in Lodi. She was an ‘A’ student, part-time accountant, a budding celebrity and someone who was a pleasure to be around.

About a week after Thanksgiving Sofía had come into his office at the farm and sat on his lap while he was at his desk and put her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. She’d giggled as she felt his reaction through her jeans, then she turned serious, her dark eyes full of love and sorrow, “Matt te amo. Yo siempre te amarré. You are with Jo now and she is ... la mujer adecuada para ti.”

Matt hugged her, “Sofía, I love you too and I always will, but I love Jo and as you say, she’s the right woman.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close