Sovereignty
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2016 by Pars001

Alan awoke the next day with a start after the past week it seemed he was starting to lose touch with reality a bit. Looking at the date on his calendar, reality started hitting home even harder, what the f•©k? According to the calendar almost a whole week had passed. A moment later a knock came from the door of the room he was in, looking out he shook his head oh great, it was that bitch of a manager.

“I know you’re in there! I got that receipt you wanted!” she shouted.

Opening the door Alan put on his best face, the rotund, white haired, short older woman stood there with her arms crossed. “Yes maam,” Alan told her, “Had a late night last night so...”

She held her hand up to stop him, “Look I don’t care ok? Just pay each week then we got no problems, just remember the rules no drugs, no loud music, and no sneaking in partners for a few days, or you’re out.”

Shutting the door Alan could only shake his head, his light brown hair was longer than he remembered it being. Rubbing his eyes to clear his vision better, he also noticed that he was sporting a week’s growth of beard, what the hell was going on?

Suddenly a female like voice sounded in his right ear, almost a whisper, “I am sorry Alan I think I healed you far too much here.” A light touch at his forehead opened a flood gate of memories.

Suddenly Alan’s eyes flew wide, What!? It hadn’t been a dream? “Where are you? I could see your outline last time now I’m getting nothing.”

“As I said,” the whispering voice started again, “I am afraid I healed you far too much, it affected your power as well as your memory. I am endeavoring to remedy this.”

Alan’s head was already hurting like a bitch, after the little voice said that it had healed him too much, and then he’d felt a light touch to his forehead.

“Again, I apologize Alan, I was afraid that the council had me recruit you too soon. As fast as you healed though before I got to you I can now see that they weren’t wrong.” Alan turned his head and stared where the voice had been, all he saw was a shimmering, like the heat waves you could see on a hot day.

“There, now then down to business. I was sent to recruit you; you are the first in almost 500 years to show that you have the power.” The voice said. “I have been...”

“Wait,” Alan interrupted her, “Who are you? I’m a little tired of you knowing me but I know nothing of you.”

He almost felt a palatable shock then his head was flooded with tons of information. “Oh shit! AAAA!!!” Alan almost screamed as his head began to throb, “You trying to f•©king kill me? Christ!” Falling on the bed Alan thought the pain would pass, no dice as the pain increased till his brown eyes rolled back in his head.

Floating in another dream- like-scape, Alan looked at a sprite or pixie that fluttered in front of him.

“So your name is Hopix, and you are my guide? No, that’s not right; you’re my watch dog ah!” Alan said, damn he thought I don’t know whether to be insulted or complimented.

“There’s no insult intended, as I told you yesterday we are offering you a job.” Hopix said

“I don’t understand if this ... council is so powerful, why can’t they attend to their mistakes?” Alan asked.

“True they are a powerful council, but they can’t interfere. They can advance any with the power but after they decide they want to use their power the council has no say. You see they offer the job, you can reject or accept. Reject after the power is instilled and you can do most what you want off earth. Accept and the council asks you to stop other mistakes that have run other worlds and systems to almost ruin.” Hopix said taking a breath. “Almost all your needs will be met, though there are a few they can do nothing about, I am sure you know which ones I am talking about.”

Alan nodded, it was as always, he worked his ass off and got really nothing he needed in return and THAT he definitely needed.

Hopix eyes grew wide, then she blushed, she had to teach Alan to stop broadcasting his thoughts so strongly.

“I don’t mean to hurry you Alan but the council needs an answer, we have another that needs taking care of he is almost as bad as the last,” Hopix said a small shiver running through her body.

“How long before they have to have an answer?” Alan said noticing that Hopix was still shaking badly.

“Soon before the day is finished,” she whispered out, “Alan, I hope you accept; this case is somewhat personal to me, so I would also owe you much” With that Alan was back in his room.

Alan noticed that most of the pain was gone; good at least he’d be able to function while he made a decision. Locking up he decided to visit his wife maybe she’d have a change of heart.

Knocking at the door, she snatched the door open, “What the f•©k do you want? I thought you left! After what you said I’m not sure I...”

“After what I said,” He shouted, “I think your memory is playing tricks on you. You’re the one who kicked ME out, you’re the one who said you didn’t need, want, or love me. Let us not forget it was YOU that slammed the door not me. I can see I wasted my time coming here.”

A smirked crossed her face, “A waste yes, that’s what I’d call you! A waste of my time all these years. You’re a loser that won’t amount to anything. I’ll have your shit outside in a day or two,” With that she slammed the door even harder in his face. Alan could hear her laughing on the other side of it.

F•©k it Alan thought I really have nothing here to keep me, not even our children. I’m sure she’s already poisoned their minds against me also.

Alan trudged his way back to the motel, lost in his thoughts he didn’t notice the man that was trying to follow him. Alan was almost back to the other side of town, when the man caught up to him.

“Hello Alan,” The man smiled, a smile that Alan could see was only a feigned attempt to gain his confidence. “We have a proposition for you. You’re a hard man to find.”

Looking at the man’s hand extended to shake, Alan decided to ignore the gesture, “What do you want?” Alan said a smirk on his face. This man was oozing an almost palatable evil.

“As I said, we have a proposition for you. Work for us and we can grant you everything you want. Your wife would love you unconditionally, so would your children. We can make sure that everything you want is granted.” The man chuckled a little sinister.

Alan stopped, WHAT!? Looking at the man Alan was suddenly angry, more angry than he’d been in a long, long time. Alan didn’t even notice that his hands were starting to glow, or the fact that the man was slowly backing up.

“For your f•©king information,” Alan shouted, knocking the man off his feet, “I don’t want anything to do with that bitch anymore! Second there is nothing that you,” here Alan noticed that the man’s ears were bleeding, causing him to pause a second. “Nothing you can give me that will make up for the insult you just gave me! Be gone!” The man groaned as Alan reached out to push him away from his self surprised when his hand went through the man! “What the f•©k?!” With that the image of the man exploded then was gone.

Storming back to his room Alan lay down and was out almost immediately, Hopix appeared seconds later in his dream.

“I wish I could have warned you about them sooner,” she said, “that was an agent of chaos, one of their better ones, he thought he could turn you easily as he had the others. I am glad he was wrong, so Alan do you have an answer? The council awaits.”

“Yeah, Alan replied, “there’s nothing here for me now that I can see, tell them I accept.”

“That’s good, we’ve got another assignment for you,” came a voice behind him. Alan turned to see a gnome like creature sitting at a table, “You do this one and I think you’ll have a lot more than thanks from the council,” the gnome creature said nodding toward Hopix who was trying to hold back her terror and joy that Alan was taking this assignment to her home planet. “I’ll leave you to it,” With that he was gone.

“Your home planet? And just when were you going to tell me?”

“I could not till you accepted the assignment; I am not allowed to sway your decision about anything before you decided whether or not you would join.” Tears fell unashamedly from her eyes. “It was my fault that the human who rules my planet with an iron fist is there. You see I recruited him, I never foresaw the evil he possessed.”

Alan’s heart was finally starting to soften in regards to Hopix, “Alright let’s go.”

Within seconds Alan was standing on a piece of blackened ground, this isn’t right he thought. Slowly the ground turned back to its original colors blues, greens and oranges, sighing Alan decided he’d have to get used to the fact that not every where would even be close to what earth was. Within minutes the blackened ground was replaced with a myriad of colors as far as he could see, better he thought.

Suddenly there was a rumbling sound, turning Alan saw what appeared to be rolling storm clouds. Reaching out Alan saw it was a cluster of beings like Hopix. Alan brought all his defenses up fully as they swooped in and commenced to dive bomb him; that is till the leader of the cluster stopped within a few feet of him.

“You!” she screamed, “so you are here to stop me? HA! As if! I have had centuries to perfect ALL my skills.”

Alan reached out, feeling the being was being controlled, making a scissors cutting motion, the little being screamed then looked around confused.

“Where am I?” Looking at Alan her eyes grew large, “Please protect me,” she pleaded, Alan pulled her inside of his shield feeling that she was freed from the others influence.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close