The Ties That Bind - Cover

The Ties That Bind

Copyright© 2016 by Lumpy

Chapter 13

The next morning felt strange. While I had occasionally woken up alone, most notably when I was recovering from the gunshot, there was a stillness to the house I wasn’t used to. After my morning run I just walked through the empty house, looking in each room and feeling the absence of everyone.

To avoid becoming morose, I ate a quick breakfast and headed to the office. The previous week Marcus indicated we were very close to having a prototype ready, and Ted had already worked his Pentagon contacts to set up a demo for them. Today was the first day I was going to get to see the finished drone, and I was getting excited by the prospect. I had dumped all of my money on this, and while I really believed it was going to work, it was still a gamble. Seeing the finished prototype made it more real, and brought everything one step closer.

I had just finished breakfast when Mary Ann arrived to pick me up on her way to work. We made small talk on the drive, but I was having trouble focusing on the conversation, since my mind was already on the prototype and upcoming demo. She saw how distracted I was, and when she noticed my sideways glance at her when we pulled up to the warehouse, she just laughed and said ‘Go’. That was all the prompting I needed! I was out of the door like a shot. It was like Christmas morning, and I was acting like any fifteen year old with a present to open.

When I got into the drone assembly area, Marcus was just as excited as I was. There, in front of him, was the completed drone. It still had several panels open, with wires tracing their way over to a series of computers with engineers huddled around them.

“What’s the word, Marcus?”

“Just finishing up the last diagnostics. Then we put it on a trailer, and haul it out to the area we have set aside for testing,” he replied with a huge grin.

“What’s the schedule like?”

“We are going to haul this down to Ellington field and work out of there for three days. It’s almost three hours away, so today will be a short series of tests. Basically just touch-and-go’s to get any bugs worked out, and make sure everything is functioning as it should. Tomorrow we are going to do extended trials, including endurance and distance trials. Then Wednesday we are going to start stealth trials against the 47th wing. We even have an agreement from the Texas Air National Guard, to have some of their planes go up and see if their on-board systems can pick up the drone.”

“That’s nice of them.”

“I have a feeling Colonel Perry smoothed the way on that deal. We are giving everyone Friday off, for Christmas, and then we’re back to it Monday morning. Tuesday we are going to go through the entire Air Force demo, and again on Wednesday. Ted has our actual demo set for Thursday.”

“I always imagined trial periods would last longer than that. A short week, with a holiday thrown in the middle, feels like rushing things.”

“To be honest, it is a bit. But we need to have it tested out and preliminary agreements in place before the first of the year.”

“Why?”

“The way they normally work, is: if they like a product, they will order a handful of them up front, for six months of internal testing. A full order will depend on the results of that testing. While that is happening we will also be under a separate series of security and cost reviews, to make sure the figures in the preliminary purchase contract meets government standards. This should also cover the one hundred and twenty day mandatory review period on new contracts. The fiscal year for the federal government ends September thirtieth. If our drone gets a preliminary order, and tests out well, we want to have time for a full order of drones to make its way into next year’s budget.”

“Sounds like a lot of hurdles, any one of which could derail the whole thing.”

“I know it sounds that way, but neither Ted nor I are worried. For one, we aren’t coming in with an R&D concept, but a finished product, so they aren’t paying for R&D time, like they do on some military projects. We are falling into a weird niche where our price point is that of large military systems, but the way they are buying it is similar to the way the DOD buys any off the shelf product. Ted and I spent some time last week going over all of this with Ron, and he believes this will get us around many of the checkpoints that military projects of this size normally have to go through.”

“Ok, so your confidence in selling this is still pretty high, then?”

“Yes. Ron is going to come out next week, and see the tests on Monday and Tuesday. He is going to give us pointers on what his bosses will be looking for during the demo, and help us shape the presentation more towards them. While not exactly kosher, having the inside track like that is also not all that unusual. I can’t tell you how lucky we are that Ted had this contact.”

“Yeah, don’t I know it?”

I saw the gaggle of engineers breaking up.

When Marcus noticed them he clapped me on the shoulder, saying, “Well, it’s time for us to get this beast loaded up and down to Ellington field.”

“Ok. Good luck on the trials, and let me know how they go. I am looking forward to coming out next week for the demo.” “Don’t worry, Cas. I am very confident in my guys. This will work.”

Mary Ann dropped me off at home, and once again I was enveloped into silence. I didn’t have my date with Emily until Tuesday, and there really wasn’t any need to go into the office this week. Half of the team would be spending the whole week with Marcus, an hour south of Houston testing the drone, anyway.

Since the beginning of the school year the only time I had been by myself for extended periods was right after my shooting. It felt like I was being driven crazy by it then, too. I had never thought of myself as being so dependent on other people, but clearly I was.

I didn’t want to call Tina because I might get Margret, and I realized I couldn’t call Emily because I didn’t have her phone number. Considering some of the things I was beginning to suspect, that didn’t overly surprise me.

I decided to bite the bullet and call Josh over, so we could talk about what happened at the marathon. I wasn’t looking forward to it, but it needed to be dealt with. Josh was home, and said he would be right over. I could tell he was excited about finding out, but I was also afraid he had expectations that could be problematic. After about fifteen minutes, Josh showed up.

“Sup, dude?” he said as I opened the door.

“Hey, Josh, come on in.”

He followed me and we sat at the table.

“So, I guess you are looking for a better explanation on what happened at the marathon.”

“Not just then, dude,” he said shaking his head, “but whatever is going on with you. I think whatever happened at the marathon also happened at your last game.”

I gave an internal sigh before plowing forward, “You’re not wrong. Before I get into this, I want to make it very clear that you shouldn’t talk about this with anyone.”

I made sure I had eye contact with him before strongly continuing, “Anyone, Josh! If this became public knowledge, it could end very badly for me.”

“Okay, Cas, I get it. I won’t tell anyone.”

He was literally sitting on the edge of his seat.

“Ok, so I guess the easiest way to explain it is that I am not like other people, Josh. I have ... umm ... I guess the only way to say it is ‘abilities’.”

“Like what?”

“More endurance, somewhat stronger, better reflexes.”

“How did you get like this?”

“As far as we can tell, I was born like this.”

“We?”

“I have a doctor friend who has been running tests on me, trying to figure out what is going on.”

“And you can pass these abilities on?”

I was surprised by this, since I had been careful not to mention the girls at any point.

“What? What makes you say that?”

“I have noticed changes in Zoe and now Tami, and I guess Vicki, too, although before you started dating her I didn’t really know her.”

“What do you mean changes in Zoe and Tami?”

“Come on, Cas. I know I am not book smart like you, but I do pay attention. They are running faster and are in better shape than ever before. That all happened after you started dating them.”

So much for trying to hide that aspect. I sighed internally before answering, my brain scrambling trying to find a way to limit as much information as possible.

“We aren’t sure, honestly. We know some of the weird stuff with me passed over to them, but we don’t know how much, or in what way.”

“So you can give anyone these special abilities?”

“We don’t really know everything about it yet. We believe the way Zoe and the girls got passed my abilities is not an avenue most other people would be comfortable with, or that I would be comfortable with.”

Ok, so I didn’t out and out lie, but I was skirting the line pretty close. Although Megan and Josh weren’t close, I needed to remember and suggest she tone things down around him for the time being.

“What does that mean?” Josh asked, looking slightly annoyed.

“Well, look at who has had the abilities passed to them ... Zoe, Tami and Vicki. What do they have in common?”

“Well, you’re dating all ... ohh!”

“Yeah, like I said, it’s through avenues not really available to everyone.”

“Yeah, I see that. Man, that sucks.”

“I don’t know ... there is still a lot we don’t know about this. I mean, it could shorten the lifespan of everyone affected to like, twenty years old or something. We just don’t know.”

“Yeah, I guess,” he said, not sounding convinced.

I stood up and he followed suit, getting the message that our conversation was at an end.

“Josh, I want to make it clear again, do ... not ... tell ... anyone,” I tried to put force into my voice the way I did outside the principal’s office the one time, but nothing seemed to happen. I didn’t feel the ‘click’ like I did that previous time, which just means the sentence just came out with more force than was really appropriate.

Josh put up his hands in an easing gesture, “Dude, I get it. I won’t say anything.”

“I know. It just scares me, is all. Thanks.”

I walked Josh out and went back to my brooding, and sat like that most of the day until I was surprised by a knock at the door just around supper time. I opened the door to find Tina standing outside.

“Sup, big bro?” she said with a grin as she pushed past me.

I followed her towards the kitchen a little confused, “Not that I don’t mind the company, but what are you doing here?”

She got to the fridge and pulled it open as she answered, “Mom headed off to her new job, and I didn’t feel like having boring left overs, again; so, I came to see what you were up to.”

“I wasn’t really in the mood to cook, so I was just going to order pizza. And what do you mean her new job?”

“She quit the last night job she had, ‘cause she just got hired on as the night manager at some clothing outlet down the freeway.”

“Ohh ... are things that tough?”

“I think so, but,” she turned pointing a finger at me, “you stay out of it. I know you have a big heart and want to help, but Mom becomes totally insane whenever your name comes up. Anything you do will make things worse.”

I held up my hands in surrender, “Ok. But if you think of a way for me to help on the sly, let me know.”

“Sure thing. Now, go order us a pizza. I’m starving!”

I called her a mooch, laughed, and went to the phone to follow her request. We joked around and caught up on the various news in our lives while we waited for the pizza to arrive.

We sat down to eat our pizza and I decided this was the right moment to broach a subject that had been weighing on me. A smart person might have just left it alone, but while I may have a souped-up brain, my common sense was probably as flawed as always.

“I have a question.”

All I got was a raised eyebrow in response.

“I left it alone for a while because I was just happy to have you back, but I want to know what caused your... ‘episode’ I guess I’ll call it.”

“Episode?”

“Yeah. The cold shoulder, dating the douche bag...”

“Ohh,” she just looked down at her plate for a little while. After almost a minute, which is an eternity when waiting for someone to reply, I thought I had maybe made a huge miscalculation. Finally, she looked up and met my gaze.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close