Once and Again - Cover

Once and Again

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 44

The next morning they find their boots and Dakota’s leggings in front of the door. Dakota smacks Sorbo on the arm again, but he can’t wipe the smile from his face from last night. They are tired, but ready. They dress and head to the dining room, but find no meal prepared.

“Mother wishes to say goodbye to you two before you head out.”

“Okay, Maryann. No breakfast?”

“Sorry, it is rare that we sit down to family meals anymore, especially as mom is getting worse and can’t get out of bed without pain.”

“Good morning, ma.”

“Good morning, son and my lovely daughter. I heard you found the book of Odin.”

“Yes.”

“Most of the practiced knowledge died with your father, though there are three others in the mountains who studied it with him. They are called the Council of the Golden Streamers. Two of them, or now one of them since your father died, is to be found on the Pralene side of the Darian Mountains and the other two are to be found on the Darian side of the Darian Mountains. That was the only knowledge I was given. To tell you, if you still lived, that you should seek them out and learn of the Pralene family heritage.”

“How are you feeling this morning, mother?”

“Tired, but I am glad I got to relay the message to you and to see you one last time before I take my journey to the next level of creation. Son?”

“Yes, mother.”

“I am proud of you.” and with that she appears to peacefully fall asleep, but she dies.

Dakota starts crying because she knows Sorbo will not. Sorbo kneels before his mother and pulls out his sword. Dakota, Sharon, Susie, Sandy and Maryann all kneel before Mary. Sorbo lays his sword upon the still chest of his beloved mother and a golden light spills out and surrounds her. But this light is not here to make her well, as in all things they have their time, this light soaks into her and slowly her body begins to turn into little cubic points of golden light, and then with a swirling warm breeze they go upward out of the cabin and into the heavens onto the next level of creation.

When Sorbo turns around his wife notices that he does have a single tear falling down his cheek and she is proud of him. She knows he will cry for her in his own way, but when you believe that there is more than this physical realm it is easier to let go of those you knew and loved.

Just then a group of horns blow from outside the cabin. Curious, Sorbo grabs up his wife and goes outside. Besides his one hundred Knights of Odin that he brought with him and many dragons, he finds another two thousand mounted knights flying the golden banners of Odin.

An elderly man in a brown cloak walks up to him and bows respectfully. “Sire, my name is Taylor and I am one of the other elders that served on a council called the Council of the Golden Streamers, with your father. As his only male heir you have the right to take his seat on the council, though we know you already have other destinies you are apart of.”

“Hello, Taylor. As my wife and mine journey lengthens I am beginning to think that this is all apart of one destiny. It is amazing and I will gladly accept my father’s seat on the Council.”

“Excellent!” Just then the horns blow gloriously again.

“Brother?”

“Yes, Sharon.”

“You have brought purpose and pride back to the family of Pralene. We hope to see you again before our times come.”

“Even though circumstance won’t allow for me to make the family gathering tonight that does not mean we won’t stop by on our way back through.”

“That also doesn’t mean you all can’t come to Glimmer and visit any time you want to,” adds Dakota.

“Thank you, Queen Dakota and White Sorceress, but the family gathering could not happen tonight now even if we wished, for most of them are going with you.”

Sorbo turns to his ever-growing army and says, “How many of you are related to me?” About sixty of them raise their hands proudly. “Wow!” Then thinking about it Sorbo turns back to his sisters and says, “It must have been hard for father to watch me ride off and become a Knight of Andromeda.”

“He was proud of you, too, Sorbo. Andromeda is the daughter of Odin and both are of the light. He was really proud of you when you became Captain of the Guard of the Royal Guard. When we heard what happened to Princess Hannah and then that you disappeared, that is what broke his heart.”

“He has repaid that debt a thousand times over,” says Dakota, standing by her husband.

“My dear sister, Dakota, Sorbo owes no debt to anyone but himself, as it is for us all. It has taken longer than we may have wished, but he is again in the world and that is all because of you.”

“It is all because of his greatness.” clarifies Dakota.

“No,” says Sorbo. “It is all because of you, my precious wife and best friend.” Dakota looks up at him with her beautiful blue eyes shining. “You ready, babygirl?”

“Yes.”

“We’ll be back. If you so wish, you may return to the capitol with us when we go.”

“These mountains have been our home for our lifetimes, but we will think about it.”

Sorbo nods his head to his sisters and yells out. “Move out!”

Their family home is not very far from the border of Darian so it doesn’t take them maybe five hours until they are crossing into the kingdom of Darian. It is only another couple hours after that when they link up with another army of two thousand warriors flying the golden banners of Odin.

“Greetings.”

“Greetings, King and Queen of Pralene, the Great Protector and White Sorceress, we are most honored to have you come visit us, and the fact that you fly the banner of Odin only makes our hearts run free with pride and joy. Perhaps once and again we can take our rightful place out in the open.”

“Yes, it is time.”

“My name is Hern and I set on the Council of the Golden Streamers along with Brack here.” He says pointing to the man standing at his side who bows respectfully. All of the council members are gray-haired gray-bearded men who still look like they could ride into battle tomorrow and win gloriously.

“Hern and Brack, Sorbo has agreed to take over his father’s seat on the Council.”

“Wonderful!”

“So what is this I hear about an army of Knights of Andromeda coming into these mountains?”

“Apparently they think you have come to convert us away from Andromeda. They do not know that we serve Odin. They believe they are coming to help us.”

“We are all children of light so we must make them see reason so good blood does not have to be spilled, but that means all those who serve Odin will now have to come out into the light.”

“Proudly!”

“Excellent, let’s go.” Sorbo and Dakota with somewhere around four thousand one hundred Knights of Odin, and many dragons flying overhead, head down the other side of the Darian Mountains.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close