Once and Again
Chapter 39

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

“What do you think, husband?”

“I think we could give no better gift to Pralene then to give them their princess back. We’ll go to Glimmer for now and take over rule and when your birthday comes around I will make sure our cottage is still standing.”

Dakota reaches over and takes his hand. Her legs clamp on the horse subconsciously and that is how they re-enter Pralene.

“I’m going to miss Laraland. We spent almost six months there.”

“It is a beautiful land with wonderful people, no doubt, but it is good to be home.” With tears in her eyes Dakota nods her confirmation.

They make their way through Pralene along old remembered paths. They stop in several small villages, but there are no knights or squires about so nobody recognizes Dakota since she has not been here since she was an eight-year-old sweetheart of a goddess.

It takes them three weeks once they crossed beyond the border of their kingdom Pralene, but at long last they reach the capitol of Glimmer. The old capitol was long ago carved out of the middle of the Dakota Woodlands. Yes, the very same woodlands that gave Dakota her name.

Lender is flying overhead in his golden elegance. Leading the ground forces are Dakota and Sorbo, riding side-by-side. Next, the wagon with Sarah, Olob and Katarina in it rattles behind. Then the twins Steve and Mike on their horses follow. Last, but definitely not least, comes Bolo and his squire Harold.

At this point the girls are wearing golden dresses, including Katarina, though hers is still see-through in the fashion of her people. Sorbo has changed his long sleeve dark green shirt for a gold one, as has Bolo. Since it is December again the temperatures are dropping so everybody has on his or her brown leather coat. The twins had asked Katarina to weave them some marvelous golden robes. They look regal and magical, but the weapons of war still hang from them making this troupe fierce looking.

They definitely get some odd stares from people until a squire recognizes Dakota and Sorbo and goes running off down the road towards the Royal Castle yelling, “The Princess has returned!”

By the time they make it to the next street, Ledger and a hundred royal guardsmen are anxiously awaiting them.

With a smile a league wide, Ledger bows to his princess and says, “Welcome home, Mistress.”

Dakota’s eyes flood with tears because she did not expect those beautiful words to hit her so hard. Sorbo reaches over and takes her hand. She smiles at her husband and then turns back to Ledger and says, “I have come home to reclaim the throne.”

Now this could have been an awkward time because Ledger has been in charge for over eight years, but his heart is true and he yells out to the city for all to hear. “Hear ye, hear ye, all hear me as I say Princess Dakota has returned to her people.”

A cheer goes up around the city and spreads throughout the kingdom and a long forgotten sense of pride and wonder once and again flows through Pralene. It seems the kingdom has been holding its breath waiting for word. They knew that she had survived the initial slaughter because Ledger let it be known, but most did not know she was the destined White Sorceress until Sorbo let it be known.

Sorbo is no fool, as love and pride once and again flows, so will old animosities, so he gets Ledger to step up patrols to root out the Children of Method, Prophecy and Design before they can launch another attack against Dakota and royalty.

Pralene’s sixteen-year-old, five-foot three mark, one-hundred stoneling, long straight dirty-blonde-haired, with the beautiful blue-eyes, princess looks regal and powerful as she enters the courtyard of the Royal Castle.

Dakota is a powerful witch and a lethal warrior, but as they are walking up the grand stairs that lead into the Great Hall she reaches over and grabs her husband’s hand and squeezes it for all that she is worth.

Once they are at the top of the steps, Dakota takes a deep breath. “How ya doing, babygirl?”

“I’m okay,” she says, scooting a little closer to Sorbo, her Great Protector.

The last time Dakota was here her family was murdered. Hand in hand Dakota and Sorbo enter the Royal Castle. Everybody else is waiting down by the wagon knowing beforehand that this was going to be a difficult time.

The Great Hall is a receiving hall for all guests. There are various rooms off to every side while giant white pillars hold up the top floors and the giant stairs that wind their way up from the far left side all the way around to the front right side. The stairs can easily accommodate ten people abreast. In the back of the castle on the bottom floor past the giant stairs and columns are supply rooms, servant’s quarters and the kitchen.

To the immediate left is a huge library. Taking up the rest of the whole left side of the bottom floor of the castle is a gargantuan ballroom that can easily fit at least a thousand people. To the immediate right are two other smaller antechamber rooms where unexpected guests wait until they can be seen. Just past them is a huge dining hall.

Upstairs is where the royal family and honored quests stay. It is up there that Dakota is now staring. Sorbo can see in her pretty blue eyes a million emotions, as she can’t make her feet move any further. Even Ledger knows not to interrupt this important journey and makes sure the servants, who are once and again glad to have her home, leave her be until she can process everything that is going through her heart and mind.

Sorbo leans over and whispers into her ear. “I love you with all of my heart and forever will I be at your side.”

Dakota nods her pretty head and at last gets her petite body to start moving again. “Sorbo, I think you will love the library. It was my mother’s and mine favorite place. Sorbo, do you know where my favorite place is now?”

“No, babygirl. I know mine is right at your side, but that’s just me.” He says teasing her and he finally gets a genuine smile from her.

“Actually, you are not too wrong. My favorite place to be is in your heart.” Now Sorbo can’t make his legs move as his eyes flood with tears.

Dakota leads him over and shows him the library. It is, of course, lined with books and beautiful paintings and tapestries, but the wood is stained a dark brown and it is grand and regal.

“I do love it.”

“I knew you would. Come, I will show you my old room.” Dakota pulls Sorbo away from the library where he already knows he is going to spend a lot of time reading.

He has not been able to read since he was part of the Royal Guard as a young man. Hannah and he used to spend a lot of time in here. “Wife?”

“Hmm?”

“There is something I should tell you.”

“What’s that?”

“This is where Hannah and her family lived, but of course you already know that since Hannah was your aunt, your mom’s sister. This is where I was stationed as Captain of the Royal Guard and personal protector of Princess Hannah.”

“Oh my goodness I forgot all about that. I have been so wrapped up in my own memories I completely forgot this is a home coming for you too.”

“I think, my most beloved wife, it is time for both of us to heal and move on. Your love saved me long ago and continues to do so. Shall we, my wife?” says Sorbo, taking her hand as they walk up the giant stairs.

They walk up the stairs, as they wind from the left side to the right side, the beauty and grandeur of it all takes both of their breaths away once and again. The memories are many and powerful. Eventually the stairs lead them to the right side balcony and all the rooms on that side are for honored guests. “This is where we will let Sarah, Bolo, Harold and the boys choose their rooms from.”

All along the right inner balcony, which basically is part of the second level flooring, there are some forty royal rooms. It goes to the front of the castle, that is maybe fifty feet from where the stairs level off, to the very back of the castle measuring probably another five hundred feet

Dakota and Sorbo walk from the right inner balcony to the front inner balcony and that is how you get to the royal family’s rooms. The first room they come to was Dakota’s. “This was my room here. I loved it because it looks out over the courtyard and into the heart of the city.” She opens up the dual doors and it is still pristine. White and pink colors dominate the room. The room is big, yet small enough to be comfortable.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close