Once and Again - Cover

Once and Again

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 25

It is Katarina who knows what the magical harp is.

“It is Hisperum, the Magical Harp of Serenity. It can only be found by one who has reached a level of understanding of the universe and who exudes a strong vibe of love and grace. The universe knows that creatures are at their strongest when they have a positive outlook and strong belief in those around them. So deep will the music run that the most hidden shadows will be lifted. Once it finds another that is on the same wavelength with it, Hisperum will belong to them until their time comes for The Passing.”

“What’s The Passing?” inquires Dakota.

“Death, sweetheart.”

“Oh!”

“Braylard, might I ask a favor of you once more, my friend.”

“Always, brother.”

“Would you and your crew mind hanging around a few weeks? I want to walk up to Her Ascension Point and ask Andromeda some questions.”

“Aye.”

“What is the Ascension Point?”

“Legend says it is where Andromeda and her kin of light called into existence the white radiance moon Hope. From there many travelers have sought the most important questions of their lives. The act of the journey and the fasting is supposed to make you worthy for her to come to you in person.”

“All I have to do is call her and she will come.”

“Yeah, I know, baby, but it is also said that Andromeda must also speak the truth and I’ve been getting the feeling lately that she has not been telling us everything.”

With a bright flash and a glowing persona Andromeda comes before them and says to Sorbo, “Ask your question, Knight of Andromeda, and I will do my best to answer as allowed. Even at the Ascension Point there are things I cannot tell you.”

Dakota looks up at Sorbo and then walks over and takes his hand into hers and they face Andromeda together. “Okay. Why did you not stop the Children of Method, Prophecy and Design from coming into your lands?”

“I can only stop gods from coming into my lands, and it’s not that I can stop them, it is only if they do anything to violate the Rules of Creation, then steps can be taken to stop them.”

“That’s not how it is understood.”

“I know. It has prevented many invasions so I let it be believed.”

“You saved Dakota from them before, why not this time?”

“I broke the rules by doing so, which has allowed Loki to leave his underworld. Even amongst us gods there are repercussions. Every action has a counter-action.”

“Even for the gods?”

“Yes, Dakota, even for us gods. The universe is the true power of existence. It is the way of the universe and what is cannot be changed without unmaking the universe. Only the universe can do that.”

“Andromeda?”

“Yes, Dakota.”

“Was that person really Sorbo’s son?”

Andromeda looks at Sorbo sadly and says, “Yes.”

Dakota looks up at Sorbo with her beautiful blue eyes and says, “Aren’t you glad we didn’t kill him?”

“No.”

While Dakota is looking up at him frustrated, Andromeda continues on. “And plus I did not need to come to the aid of Dakota because you were there.”

Now Dakota is smiling, “Yeah.”

As Sorbo is shaking his head at the pure confidence this little twelve-year-old girl has in him, Andromeda concludes. “Next year at The Gathering is going to be very important. You will obtain the first piece of the Staff of Creation. You will get the shaft part known as the Staff of Embodiment.”

“Any clues as to how we get it or where we find it?”

“Of course!”

“And?” Dakota and Sorbo say at the same time.

Andromeda smiles. “You will have to go before the God of Neutrality and answer a simple question.”

“What question?” asks Dakota.

“That is up to Aden.”

“Why is it, Andromeda, that every time I talk to you I end up with more questions than I do answers?”

“Because it is the nature of the universe to seek.”

Even Dakota seems dubious about that answer, but before they can go on Andromeda is gone.

“Well that was thoroughly unsatisfying.”

Dakota nods her head with a mixture of a confused and annoyed look on her face. “I know, right! I’m hungry.”

“Me, too.”

Now knowing that the enemy can send dark forces after them at any time is making Sorbo feel less sure of everything. He knows he is madly in love with Dakota and he knows he is falling in love with Cathy, and because they have stood back to back in many battles Sorbo is confident in Braylard and his minotaurs, but beyond that a gray wispy cloud is starting to fog things up.

“Sorbo?”

“Yes, Braylard.”

“Me and mine will remain here with you good folks if we would not be a burden.”

But it is not Sorbo, but Dakota, who answers him, “You will not be a burden and you are most welcome.”

“Well, there you have it!” Sorbo bends over and attacks Dakota with a million little kisses. Immediately Sorbo slowly starts spinning around in circles as he thinks of something.

“What?” asks Cathy and Dakota, at the same time.

Sorbo smiles at how Cathy has fit right in with them. “I think for now we will wall off three-fourths of the big part of the living room and turn that into temporary quarters for you minotaurs, and then we will get to work on another little cottage or four nearby. I get the feeling, as the years pass, more and more attacks will come, so it will be wise to have a permanent strong force nearby. In fact, as soon as the snow stops falling I am going to go out and find the centaurs and ask them to move into the compound.”

“Brilliant idea, brother. Between the great witches Cathy and Dakota, the great Knight of Andromeda, the centaurs, the dragons and us minotaurs, the White Sorceress will be well protected.”

“Don’t forget the fairies.” adds Dakota.

“Oh yeah! Where are the fairies? I haven’t seen them since we left the City of Divinity.”

“I hope nothing has happened to them, and Katarina was here when we first got back.”

“Don’t worry, baby, I’m sure they are fine.”

But Sorbo isn’t so sure. Katarina would not have left them without cause or at least word. Maybe she was worried for her people, too.

It is in the middle of the night that all seventy-three fairies show up. They are glowing brighter than any one has ever seen before.

As a sleepy Dakota, Cathy and Sorbo come out of their rooms, Sorbo asks, “Where have you been, young lady?”

“On our way home we found an unusual area of flower growth. The power emanating from them was intoxicating and wonderful.”

This is too coincidental. “We were attacked on our way home. They would have never been able to get so close if you fairies would have been there. Something is putting in great effort to coordinate attacks. Something or someone very powerful.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close