Once and Again
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

The Celebration will continue on into the night, but the nine-year-old White Sorceress is yawning mightily as she rests her head on Sorbo’s shoulder as her knight holds her protectively and lovingly.

Everybody immediately wanted to start sharing everything with Dakota that first night, but Sorbo told them to start lining up their plans for tomorrow and beyond. “This night is for Dakota to get comfortable around her army, her people. This night is for fun and exploration.” It only took about two hours of it and Dakota was exhausted and over-whelmed.

As they are lying in their room waiting for sleep to come to them, as their minds are still racing from the celebration and the great show of force, Dakota, while holding on firmly to Sorbo’s arm that is securely wrapped over her, asks, “Sorbo?”

“Yeah, babygirl.”

“You said these people are my army!”

“Yes! When the time comes to confront the human and dark creatures that will be arrayed against us, to stop you from reaching your destiny, these are the people who will lead the charge. While they are holding off those forces, you and I will do what we have to do.”

“What is that exactly?”

“I don’t know, but the pieces will come to us as we search out the tools necessary for you to become the White Sorceress, and then I’m sure Andromeda will explain the rest, hopefully.”

“Andromeda told me about the Staff of Creation, which I will have to get the three separate parts of it as the years go by. Plus at some point we will have to get the Lute of Harmony.”

“The Lute of Harmony? I don’t know what that is.”

“Supposedly when I blow it, it will call magical creatures of light to my banner.”

“Cool.” It was a word he learned from the young miss.

“Yeah,” she says, yawning again. “Sorbo?”

“Hmm.”

“Why do you think the desert nations look at me like an enemy?”

“Well, they haven’t always. At least not Harod and Abara. Of course, Swelter has always been Loki’s children and they don’t think much of the abilities of girls or something. I’m not really clear on it myself. As near as I can tell Loki and Swelter have perverted some old beliefs of Harod and Abara and have tricked them into believing that religion should rule and because of that, women are second-class citizens. Even though they think they don’t treat them like second-class citizens, they think they are doing it for their protection. I think they are not allowing their girls and women to reach their full potentials because with their beautiful hearts they could easily see through Loki’s lies and bullshit.”

“Sorbo!”

“Oh, sorry.”

“But, I agree. I think it is silly to keep down half of your population.”

“Very wise, Princess.”

Dakota snuggles tighter into Sorbo while still lying on her back. “But it was nice to see Ledger again.”

“You have a meeting with him first and foremost, right after breakfast.”

“Sorbo?” she says, sleepily.

“Yes, darling girl.”

“I love you.”

“You do, huh!” says Sorbo, bringing his hand over, under and up and starts tickling her sides and tummy while attacking her cheek and ear with a million little kisses.

“Uh huh!” She squeals and giggles as she says it.

Sorbo keeps his hand resting on her. His giant hand reaches all the way across the petite nine-year-old princess. “I love you, too, sweetheart.” Dakota stretches her body out mightily as her knight has her well in hand and then she places her little hands on his hand and soon the warmth and love sends them both to sleep with contented smiles on their faces.


The morning festivities aren’t hard to miss as they are heralded with loud blaring trumpets and long horns. Dakota and Sorbo sit up with mighty yawns and stretches. It is easy to tell that Dakota’s hair is starting to get longer when it is in the morning-bedraggled shape. They get up and start preparing for the day. They wash their faces in the bowl meant for just that. They towel off and drop their nightclothes to the floor.

As Sorbo is putting on his nicest clothes, the ones the fairies helped Dakota with so her knight would look knightly, Dakota asks from behind. “Which one do you think looks the cutest?”

At least here in the City of Divinity it is always somewhat warm, which is a good thing because Dakota is standing there in her new nine-year-old birthday suit. She has two dresses in one hand and three leggings in the other.

“I think,” says Sorbo, walking over while putting on his royal blue long sleeve pullover shirt. “That the royal blue dress with the gold leggings will not only look the cutest, but they are the colors of Pralene and you will look regal in them.”

Dakota looks up at him with a big smile and holds her arms out for him to pick her up. Ever the obedient knight he does just that. Dakota wraps her arms around his neck and gives him a big kiss and says, “You sure are good at this.”

“It is important to you so it is important to me, and plus I like my little girl to look pretty.”

With moistened eyes and a tighter grip with legs and arms she says, “I’m your little girl?”

“You will always be my little girl. I know I’m not your daddy and I don’t want to dishonor his memory, but I couldn’t love you anymore if you were my blood daughter.”

Dakota nods her head with tears streaming down her pale cheeks. Sorbo wipes them away with little kisses. Then Dakota says, “Help me pull on my dress.”

“Okay, let me put some pants on before somebody comes walking in.”

“Yes, daddy!” Sorbo hugs the stuffing out of her one last time before setting her cute naked little butt down.

Not five seconds after they finish putting on their boots there is a knock at the door. “Yes.”

Braylard opens the door and says, “Breakfast be served.”

“Why, Braylard, you didn’t have to bring us breakfast.”

“I didn’t, I...” Then he looks over at the giggling princess. “Oh, very funny, old friend. Come, breakfast be in the main dining hall and there be all sorts and manner of people already there.” Sorbo and Dakota walk out behind him.

Dakota looks very adorable in her knee length short sleeve royal blue dress and her gold leggings. She has her sword strapped at her left side, which raised more than one eyebrow last night at the opening ceremonies. Her dirty blonde hair is still wavy and even curly in spots, but it is slowly getting longer. Her blue eyes shine with intelligence and wonder.

One thing Sorbo found interesting is many older knights actually remember him from the old days and he actually remembered many of them.

As they walk into the huge dinning hall everybody at the table that can easily hold a hundred people stand and come to attention as Dakota enters. She steps closer to her knight and puts her tiny left hand in his giant right hand.

Once the patrons start clapping it is too much for Sorbo, especially since he can see it is making Dakota uncomfortable. Sorbo raises his left hand for them to stop. When they do, he says, “Folks, I know you think you are honoring the White Sorceress, but this beautiful sweet-hearted little girl is just a regular girl for now and that is how she wishes to be treated.” Sorbo looks down at her to make sure he is getting it right and she nods emphatically first to him and then the crowd. “Yes, she is special, but not because she is the White Sorceress, she is special because she is Dakota Star.” Dakota is just beaming with love and pride.

It is the goddess Andromeda that solidifies the point. “It is as you command, Great Protector.” Sorbo looks back down at Dakota and winks at her. They both smile.

As they are walking up the long side of the table going towards Andromeda they see Ledger, who bows to his princess, then they see Cathy, the witch who has been helping Dakota with her magic. Dakota waves at her. Even Katarina is at the table.

Dakota is to sit on the right side of Andromeda and Sorbo sits on the right side of Dakota. Braylard sits on the right side of Sorbo around the corner. Katarina has a little table and chair placed on the big table right between Dakota and Sorbo. Immediately Dakota starts sharing everything with Katarina, who has become one of her most beloved friends.

“Please, eat.” speaks Andromeda.

As the meal progresses and the babble of thirty different conversations rage on Cathy gets up and comes over and kneels at Dakota’s side. “Dakota, tonight my witch coven is having a gathering beneath the moons and we would be honored if you would come.”

“Really!”

“Yes.”

“Can Sorbo come?”

“It is not normal for a man to be there, but if it will make you feel more comfortable, he can come.”

“Okay, I will be there.”

“I’ll meet you here about an hour after the red moon rises.” Both Dakota and Sorbo nod their heads.

After the meal is finished the majority of people leave, but two knights each from the nations of Canton, Bengal, Darian, Pralene, Laraland, Finton, and Nalla stay behind, along with Andromeda, Katarina, Braylard, Cathy, Sorbo and Dakota.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close