Once and Again - Cover

Once and Again

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 16

As time is known to do it starts going by at varying mental perceptions in conjunction with a busy week or a slow one.

For the first week Dakota sleeps with Sorbo until finally she is willing to try to give her beautiful new room a try. For the next week in the middle of the night she awakens to find that she cannot fall back asleep without Sorbo’s arm holding her protectively and lovingly, and their shared body warmth is divine. But finally into the third week she sleeps through the night. Only two nights of that week does she wake up and climb in bed with Sorbo. Finally as December has come Dakota is comfortable with her room and new life. Only when a bad dream jolts her awake does she climb into bed with Sorbo, which she will do for many years to come. One night when Sorbo has a bad dream that somebody is coming to hurt Dakota he gets up and goes and sleeps with her in her bed.

“Sorbo, is everything okay?”

“I had a bad dream that someone was trying to hurt you.” Dakota lifts her covers up behind her, and as they cuddle into each other sweet sleep comes on swift wings.

It isn’t until the next morning that Sorbo remembers the dream again. He thinks nothing of it until he walks outside and sees four silver dragons surrounding the house.

A moment later the golden dragon Lender, who saved them from one of Loki’s Dragons, lands and informs him, “Our spies have learned that another assassin is coming for the White Sorceress. So if it is alright with you we will remain until the threat has passed?”

“Do you know what kind of assassin they are sending this time?”

“As we understand it they are sending a pack of Wolveris.”

“What are wolveris?” asks Dakota, from the front door.

Sorbo turns around and explains. “A wolveris is just like a minotaur except they have a wolf’s head instead of a bull’s head.”

“Oh, sounds neat. I would like to see one.”

“No you wouldn’t. They are aggressive dark creatures who live in the Canton Mountains that protrude out into The Accursed Land of Loki. They are his servants and they can get as big as seven feet tall, though most of them are around six foot. They walk like a man and fight with a sword or spear like a man. They are a formidable enemy.”

Dakota gets a scared look on her face and says, “And they are coming to kill me?”

Sorbo goes over and picks her up and brings her out in the front courtyard where the four silver dragons and Lender the golden dragon now stand. “Sweetheart, look around you. You are well protected.”

Just as Dakota begins to smile again a white horse comes walking up the path into the front courtyard. It has snowed several more times, but as of yet it has not begun to stick permanently at this elevation. Dakota takes in a mesmerized deep breath and says, “Sorbo, look it is a unicorn!” Dakota squirms until he puts her down and she runs over and pets the unicorn.

Sorbo turns to Lender and says, “I’ve been hearing several packs of wolves off in the distance for a while now.”

“Yes, we believe they are already here. There are nearly one hundred dragons of light in these mountains now, but the wolveris are quick, well camouflaged and seem to have learned how to hide their scent from us. We will find them!”

Sorbo nods his head and looks back at Dakota, but he is not worrying anymore than he already was because he has been waiting for the next attack. He let his guard down when the scorpion harpy attacked; he will not do it again.

Even though there is a massive show of power from the creatures of light, Dakota still sleeps with Sorbo every night for the rest of the month. As December progresses, Sorbo decides he has enough security to protect Dakota, so he is going to go out and hunt the wolveris himself. He does it under the guise of a hunting trip.

“Dakota, I think things are secure now so I am going to go out and hunt us a deer.”

“Don’t leave me!”

“I’ll only be gone for three or four days and then we’ll have some good dinners.”

“Three or four days!” Just then there is knocking at the door that makes both of them jump.

Sorbo puts his hand on his sword and walks over to the door and opens it. When he opens it up there is a bundled up woman with long brunette hair with kind hazel eyes smiling up at him. She had just walked through a yard full of dragons so Sorbo knows she is not evil because her malice would emanate from her and the creatures of light would be able to sense it. “Yes.” Dakota sticks her head around Sorbo to see who has come knocking.

“Hi, my name is Cathy and I am a sister witch of the Coven of Light and Andromeda has sent me to help train the White Sorceress so when the time comes she will be strong enough to succeed.”

Sorbo is standing there trying to wrap his head around this when Dakota says, “Sorbo, don’t leave the poor girl standing out in the cold.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Cathy, is it? Come on in.” Sorbo moves aside and waves her in.

“Thank you. And hi, you must be Dakota.” Dakota smiles and nods her head yes. “It is an honor, little mistress.”

“Please come in and get yourself comfortable,” says Sorbo, trying to get a look at the bundled up witch.

Piece by piece Cathy starts taking her coats off. When she finally gets down to her brown leather boots, brown leather pants, and a dark green long sleeve shirt Sorbo can tell she is a very pretty and very petite woman. She has very long straight brunette hair with the most pretty hazel eyes. She can’t stand any taller than five feet and she can’t weigh any more than ninety stonelings.

But it is Dakota that voices it. “Wow, you are pretty.”

“Well, thank you, mistress.” She says, kneeling down in front of her. “You are very pretty yourself.” Dakota smiles.

“So, how long are you here for?” asks Sorbo.

“A week this time and then I will return home for Gift Day, but I will return at the first of the year and stay a few weeks longer and then I’ll stop in as often as I can. That is as long as it is alright with you.”

Sorbo looks down at Dakota and she seems to like her. “Okay. Wonderful! And thank you for your help.”

“I am here so that the White Sorceress can help us all, when the time comes.” Sorbo nods his head.

Dakota takes her by the hand and starts saying, “You can stay in my room and I will sleep with Sorbo. It’s right this way.”

As Dakota takes Cathy to see the room, Sorbo goes outside all the while thinking, “Wow, this is fortuitous.” When he gets outside he walks up to Lender and asks, “What do you know of her?”

“Cathy is one of the greatest witches alive today.”

“Where is she from?”

“She is from Laraland.” That right there puts Sorbo at ease because more than once when he was part of the Pralene Royal Guard he fought along side the forces of Laraland and found them to be honorable and strong.

Sorbo turns around and walks back into the cabin. “This is perfect. I will stick around for a few days to make sure they get along and then I will go hunt the wolveris.”

“What do you mean hunt the wolveris?”

“Oops.”

“You said you were going to go hunt us a deer.”

“I am, but while I’m out there I mind as well see if I can find the wolveris.” Dakota looks at him through squinted eyes and she crosses her arms across her chest to emphasize her annoyance. “What?”

“What if you get hurt?” She says, with tears welling up in her beautiful blue eyes.

Sorbo kneels down and hugs her and then he says, “I’ll be fine. I’m a great warrior! Remember? Plus, thanks to you I’m back in shape again.” Dakota seems unconvinced. “I’ll be fine. I’ll have creatures of light nearby to help me if I need it.”

And then to emphasize his point there is another loud knocking at the door. “Now who?” asks Dakota. Sorbo shrugs his shoulders and then they look at the witch Cathy and she shrugs her shoulders too.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close