Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 22: How to stop an Interplanetary War

Kate's comment on the phone intrigued me.

"How urgent is it?" I asked.

"Not terribly, but it something that needs checking on, and you're the one elected. Ask your friend, Kerl, if he has any language modules for the planets of the ... Seventy Ophiuchi system. He may be able to help. Otherwise you could have quite a problem on your hands. Hope to see you soon, Sir. 'Bye."

Kerl looked up. "Nothing wrong, I hope?"

"No. It's just something my people want me to have a look at. Do you have anything on Seventy Ophiuchi?"

"Just a moment. I'm not too familiar with your names for star systems."

He crossed to a bookcase, picked out a book which he opened. A moment later he looked up at me.

"Yes. The terrible twins, we call them. In the third planetary orbit of that star, there are two planets which orbit about each other. Each planet is the moon of the other planet. We have been watching them, as the natives of those planets could possibly go to war with each other, once they have the capability. They are very belligerent towards each other. You should certainly take a good look at them."

"Do you have any educator modules on either of those planets?"

"Yes, we have language modules for both of them. Because of their hostility towards one another, we have other modules as well. Their geography, politics, and their current politicians. I'll get you all that we have on them."

"Thank you. How urgent is their problem, do you think?"

"Not very, but the sooner it is tackled, the easier it will be. It will take time to erase the hatred of centuries."

"Then its something that we'll have to look into. Have you any ideas on how to tackle the problem?"

"No. We've never been able to get into a position to influence either side. Any attempt to influence any of their citizens to modify their opinions can result in arrest for subversion, and that means a difficult rescue operation. You may be able to bring a new approach to the task. It certainly needs one. Incidentally the senior worlds are aware of the problem, and are watching to see how we handle it."

"Suppose that we walked in, and threatened to spank them if they didn't pull their socks up."

"Their what?"

"I'm sorry. You speak English so well, that I keep forgetting that you may not know all our idioms. I mean if they don't learn to behave rationally."

"I see," Kerl thought for a moment, "You know, I do believe that your suggestion might actually work. Why don't you go ahead, and try it."

"We shall need an overwhelming show of force. Do you know the extent of their satellite detection facilities?"

"They have none as far as I know. Their civilization level on both their planets is about that of your world in the days of Sir Isaac Newton."

"Good, then this is what we'll need."

I described my plan to Kerl, and he agreed that it might work. He offered to supply the hardware that would be needed later. I phoned Bob Mather.

"Bob. No. Mister Secretary..."

"Knock it off, Bill. We've known each other too long. What do you want?"

"A team of SEALs."

"You want seals. Are you starting a circus?"

"My turn to say 'Knock it off'. No, I need them to do some undercover work on the quiet."

"How soon do you need them?"

"Fairly soon, but it may be some time before they go into action. Preferably, I do not want to do any damage to any individuals, except perhaps to their ego. I think that the SEALs would become a useful addition to our Service."

"Leave it with me, Bill. I'll see what I can do."

I then explained what I had in mind. We made our goodbyes, and I sat for a moment thinking through the problem. There seemed be one thing left to do, and I rang my office.

"Admiral Axon's office. Can I help you?"

"This is Bill Axon, and who may I ask are you?

"Shona Campbell, Admiral. I am your temporary secretary until you select one."

"Right. Which craft are at Holloman at the moment?"

"They are all out now, except for the Argo. Would that do you, Sir."

"No, I need something larger. Preferably the Beagle."

"That's away at Karse at the moment, Sir. Would you like me to get it recalled?"

"What are they doing there, and when would they normally be back?"

They've taken a group of Academics to the University of Halvdor. They are due back on Friday, next week."

"Oh, that'll be fine. Please keep it on Base for me. I might want a quick turn around. I hope that there will be some extra passengers. I'm trying to raise some Space SEALs to do our dirty work, so to speak."

"I will tell them to wait for you, Sir. When will you be back on Base?"

"By Friday, next week. Until then, I'm still on leave. 'Bye."

"Goodbye then, Sir, until next Friday."

Looess, and I then spent the next four days as tourists soaking up the atmosphere of New York. My cell phone brought me back to the problems in space.

"Hi, Bill. It's Bob here. I've got you a Troop of SEALs for your Outfit. They'll report in to Holloman next Friday. Is that all right?"

"That's great, Bob. I owe you."

"No, Bill. I owe you ... For my plush office in the Pentagon, for my inflated salary, and for the gray hairs I'm getting."

There was one last thing that had occurred to me, and then as I sought out Kerl I kept thinking of more points that I need to raise.

"What can I do for you Bill?"

"There's two, or three things, actually. Do you have a beacon on either Phlerph or Derst?"

"Yes, we do. I'll run you off a copy of our reference file on all of our local beacons. What were the other things you wanted to raise?"

"Its to do with the natives of those planets. I want to know if you have any agents there, what does their population look like, how do they dress, and is their physiology sufficiently similar to ours so that we can use a knock-out gas on them?"

"Again, I can provide you the answers on one of your DVDs. We keep a fairly comprehensive file on most races that look as though they might mature into being members of the Federation. I'm not sure about the knock-out gas though, but I'll get Perl to tell you. She may have what you want, or at least, be able to tell you what you need."

I saw Perl next, and after consulting her medical manuals, she told me the chemicals that I needed for the knock-out gas, and for the antidote. She also told me that they would be most efficiently delivered from aerosol cans, and that they would be equally effective on the races of both planets. I rang a well known firm that packed some of their products in that way, and told them who I was, and what I needed. They promised to deliver packs of cans, filled with the gases that Perl recommended, to Holloman the next day.

The following morning, we thanked our hosts, and bade them farewell. We arrived back in Holloman in time for a second breakfast. I wonder if I shall ever get used to this rapid change in time zones. After breakfast, Looess went off to check up on the latest course of colonists. I went off to my office.

As I entered the girl behind the desk took one look at me before jumping to her feet at a rigid attention.

"Good morning, Admiral."

"Good morning, Shona, isn't it?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Then you don't have to jump at me like a jack in the box. A seated greeting is perfectly adequate," I grinned at her.

"Thank you, Sir, I'll remember that. Oh, a party of SEALs arrived last night. Do you want them to report to you, Sir?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close