Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 21: Vacation

Our carriage driver pulled up the horses sharply, and muttered at us.

"Give 'im what he wants. He could be dangerous," said our driver.

"Help me subdue him," whispered Looess to me.

I could feel her thoughts as she attempted to make the figure lay down his gun. It wavered briefly, and I added my thoughts to hers. I tried to convince our attacker that the gun was too heavy for him to point at us any longer. I seemed to have done the right thing as it drooped in his hand.

"Dial 911," I said to Kerl.

Between Looess, and myself, we managed to mentally force the man to lay face down on the ground. Before we had time to work out what to do next, we heard the sirens of a police car approaching. As it drew up, two officers jumped out brandishing their guns. They looked between us in the carriage, and the prone figure still clutching his revolver in his outstretched hand.

They manhandled the robber into the back of their car, and carefully bagged his gun. After they had taken our names, and questioned us about the incident, they thanked us for what we had done. They told us that we may have put an end to a series of similar crimes, including two other incidents where the victims had been shot, and killed.

We said goodnight to them and continued on back to the Embassy.

The next morning there was a call for Kerl from the reception, saying that two New York detectives had called and asked if they could ask him for a statement. Five minutes later, They were shown into Kerl's penthouse apartment. As the statements were taken, the point that stuck in the detectives gullets was how we had managed to overcome the ruffian when he had a gun.

Kerl came to our rescue when he told them that he had flourished a gadget, actually a remote control, that he told the villain was a taser. Afraid of the agony of being tasered, he told the detectives that the man had given up. They accepted his tale when he showed them his remote control for the planetarium.

After the detectives had left, I asked Looess what she would like to do today. Her reply surprised me.

"You know that painting we saw Monday..."

"We saw so many."

"I mean the one we saw with that young couple enjoying themselves in a boat."

"Oh, that one. By Manet, I believe. Well, what about it?"

"Do you think that we could go out in a boat like that?"

"I'm sure we could. Let me see if I can find one on the internet."

Much to my surprise, I found one quite quickly. A thirty five footer could be hired, complete with skipper, at Pier 25. The website gave the phone number and a quick call revealed that the boat was available for hire the following day. A deal was made.

Looess was delighted when I told her, and I asked her what would she like to do today.

"I would like to go and see Kerl's space port, in Sussex, I think he said."

"That's an ideal place to visit in the shuttle," I replied.

Instead of taking the direct route, I first flew up the coast over Long Island Sound, then turned North West until Lake Ontario appeared on our port bow. We flew gently along the lake until we reached the Niagara Gorge. We followed the Niagara river upstream for about six miles until we reached the Falls. I approached them as closely as I dared, until they filled our field of vision, and then climbed slowly until we emerged into the sunlight at the top.

"Thank you. That was magnificent," said Looess.

"I thought that you'd like it."

I reset the course to 116 degrees and 150 miles. I could now relax as we passed over mainly wooded countryside in west New York State, and north eastern Pennsylvania. As we came to a halt, I circled and spotted the Sussex Airport with the Federation Space Port just off to the North East. Further to the East of the airport, I could see signs of a building site.

"Sussex Federation Space Port. This is shuttle one seven, requesting clearance to land, over."

"Shuttle one seven, Sussex Space Port, you are clear to land, out."

We landed gently in front of the central building. Leaving the shuttle, I made my way to the building to tell the operator that we would not be staying long, and that we just wanted to view the construction work going on behind him. He offered us the use of his car, which I gratefully declined, saying that we would walk through the woods. Then I asked him if there was anywhere nearby where we could get something to eat?

"The nearest is The Barn, on the county road, some three hundred yards due north of here."

"What's the food like?"

"They do a good sub, if that will suit you."

We decided that it would, and made our way across to the Barn on the other side of the road. I had a ham sub, and coffee, while Looess chose cheese. After that, we returned to the Space Port and got directions through the woods to the Academy site.

Looess, and I walked through the woods, and paused when we reached the open space. There was a large hut off to one side of where we were standing, piles of building materials everywhere, and a number of large machines rumbling over the ground. We made for the hut and entered. Nothing happened for a moment, and then someone looked up.

"Admiral on the deck!" he bellowed.

"As you were," I replied.

One of the office doors opened and Chris Bollinger, in shirt sleeves, came out to greet us.

Welcome, Admiral. You've come to inspect the space Academy?"

"Yes, I thought we'd come and see how you're getting on."

"Famously, Sir. Come into my office and see our plans. Incidentally, thank you very much for expanding my force, and thank you for my latest promotion."

"Er ... Not at all. When did it happen?"

"Two days ago. I got a letter from the Secretary of Space, informing me of my promotion, how our Seabees are now to be called Spacebees, and how we're working for the UN as well as our country. Steve Edmunds, John Sims, and Charles Groves got theirs at the same time. I hear also that you've added another star," he added.

"Yes, I have, together with a second master," I replied, grinning.

He had taken us into his office, where he had unrolled a master plan. The existing road would be crossing, what was designated on the map as, playing fields. It was diverted to the side of the parade ground as it led to the main building. This was designed as a large H, one long side facing the parade ground.

"Initially we're building only the two front wings of the main building. In addition, we'll be building the bank of shuttle simulators over there," he said, pointing to the spot on the map, "and only six of the twenty campus dormitories."

"How many students will there be to a room?" asked Looess.

"Only one. That's a requirement for using the educators that we'll be building into the rooms. People will need peace and quiet in order to make proper use of them. Those things are going to greatly reduce the time needed for a course."

"How soon do you think it'll be before the Academy is ready for use?" I asked.

"The buildings should be ready for furnishing in about two months. Installation of the shuttle simulators may take a little longer."

We then had a walk around the site. There had been some progress on the initial wings of the main building. The walls were up one of the final four floors. The second storey floor was being installed. The six first dormitories had been pegged out and the pathways were being built around them.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close