Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 13: First Settlers

"Are there any other problems?"

"Yes, there are five youngsters in the group who have left school, and would have been in college if their parents hadn't decided to emigrate. However we have persuaded them to go to college by guaranteeing them a passage as soon as they graduate. All that was needed besides that, was to help them choose a course that would be the most use to them."

"How are you doing, Roas?"

"Our Governor understands his duties, and is prepared to carry them out. He will also be running the news services. There won't be a broadcasting system as such. Their internet will carry a couple of entertainment, and news channels. A lot of recorded entertainment shows will be going with them. We also have three volunteers from this group to act as police, and firefighters. There are also two doctors, and three nurses with them as well. Also several of the older girls expressed an interest in taking up nursing. We should have the basis of a hospital staff."

"How are they taking to the idea of a cashless society?"

"Pretty well," replied Roas, "it probably won't hit them until they actually put the idea into practice. Their first idea will be to grab all they can, while it's there. Then the idea sinks in that they shouldn't acquire goods just to throw them away. That's when they start to behave rationally. Unfortunately the idea doesn't sink in to everybody at the same rate. In fact we find that some of our people have a hard time ever getting the point."

"How about this group?"

"On the whole, very well. They even seem to have a name for the idea. They call it communism. Some call it the spirit of communism."

"Communism was a political creed of the last century. They made it sound like your cashless society, but they had cash, and only paid lip service to the idea behind it. Any way, you'd better get back to your students. I look forward to seeing how they make out. Some of my people have the idea that things won't last, and that they will introduce currency into the equation within six months. I hope not. I'd like to see the idea succeed."

They got up, and left. Kate came in, and put two memory sticks on my desk.

"Here are two messages that came in from Secundus."

"Thank you, Kate"

I slipped them into my computer, and read:

Space Service internal email

From: Lieutenant Commander McCoy
To: Rear Admiral Axon
Subject: Supplies from Larse

I have the honor to inform you that we have received a large shipment of helpful supplies from Larse. They include five hundred prefabricated buildings, mainly homes, together with machinery to construct roads, and other services. The delivery includes a range of power providers, mainly wind, and photovoltaic generators.

They left twelve of their crew behind as instructors, and said that they would return with more supplies.

The second read:

Space Service internal email

From: Lieutenant Commander McCoy
To: Rear Admiral Axon
Subject: Supplies from Larse

I find difficulty in believing what I have to report. The road making machines working in line ahead create dual track roads from bare countryside at a good walking pace. The first machine clears the ground down to the bedrock. This is followed by a machine which digs a narrow trench, and lays some sort of a cable. The third lays the road surface. A follow up crew put up road signs, and generally tidies up the road behind the machines. There are two sets of these machines, so they make both sides of the freeway at the same time.

Their construction machines are equally impressive. A smaller version of the road making machines lays solid foundations for the buildings. It also lays paths. Once a foundation is laid the resulting building goes up in about a day. The Governor's residence is up as is his office block next door.

I have the unbelievable task to report that, Secundus is ready for the first batch of colonists.

I printed out both memos, and stuffed them in my pocket. Feeling a degree of wonder at what had been achieved, I decided to call it a day, and walked out, saying good afternoon to Kate. I made my way to the Mess, looking for Thomas Long, Looess, and Roas. The first of these I found was Tom.

"Good afternoon, Tom. How is your crew collecting exercise going?"

"Very well, Sir. We're waiting for a few of the new recruits to arrive from basic training, and we'll be ready to start our shake down cruise."

"That may be taking the first batch of colonists to Secundus."

"Wow, that's quick. I didn't think that the Seabees would have the planet ready until much later in the year. In fact, I was thinking that we would have to expand the colonists quarters until we had a lot of the buildings constructed on Secundus."

"They've had outside help, which has not only sped things up on Secundus, but will enable them to do faster work on other planets as well. You may not have to wait very long before you deliver the first batch of colonists. However, you may be first called upon to transport supplies to make the planet habitable for the colonists."

Roas who had been nearby said, "Excuse me, Admiral. I couldn't help overhearing that. My people will make sure that the quarters on Secundus are all in turnkey condition. They sent me a collection of catalogs for the colonists to select the furnishings they want in their homes. Some of my colleagues will be arriving soon to help people make their selection, and organize the deliveries."

"Thank you. So all that the colonists need to take with them are their own personal knick-knacks?"

"That's right. Kerl, and his people are looking after that. They will even deliver them to Secundus. By the way. We've fitted a Federation style beacon at the Secundus Space Port, and have installed one at our New York Space Port as well. It helps to show where a planet is when you arrive at its star system."

"That's a good idea. It'll take less time than our usual 'slide across a star system' method that we've been using up to now."

"We received a shipment of the beacon receivers about three weeks ago. Your maintenance crews have been fitting them on craft as they can get hold of them."

"Were there enough for the shuttles as well? That could be very useful in case of an emergency."

"Yes, there are, but it'll be a while before we get them all fitted. I've sent the details to George Morrison so that, in future, he can fit them on all new craft."

Despite all the hectic progress, I was feeling a need to go out, and see for myself. My personal shuttle had been fitted out with one of the new, faster, drives. I thought that an on-sight inspection of Secundus would not be amiss. Having made up my mind, I proceeded to clear my desk, and told Kate that I intended to spring a surprise inspection on Secundus. Calling for my aide, Ensign Snyder, I crossed the runway to the hangar where my personal shuttle was stored. Ensign Snyder held the door open for me as I entered the shuttle. I took the right seat, thereby indicating that he should fly us.

He went through the preflight procedures, and said, "where to, Admiral? Washington?"

"No. Secundus."

I could sense the shock he felt, but he managed to suppress it.

"Aye aye," he replied.

We lifted from the Earth, and he input the coordinates for Secundus. Accelerating up to full speed we relaxed. Half an hour later, the shuttle came out of hyperdrive, and the planetary location beacon alerted us with a melodic 'ding dong'.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close