Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 7: Aliens at the White House

I suggested to Kah that he would enjoy the views of Earth from the bridge, and that I would join him shortly. When he had departed, I instructed the computer to contact Colonel Crisp on the Holloman Air Force Base as soon as possible, and to inform him that he should expect two Ensigns on leave, and an alien house-guest. I then descended to the bridge.

As we landed at the Holloman Space Force Base, I could see that a reception committee had been organised. A red carpet was rolled out hurriedly from the hull door to the greeting party. I quickly lined up the exit party, and had the door opened. I indicated to Ambassador Rand that he should precede me. We were followed by Mersh, and Doctor Rand. Then came Captain Chalmers, and Kah, with Weem, and Ensign Brian Crisp bringing up the rear.

As we walked down the red carpet, I could see that we were not to be greeted by the President, but by George Symes, the Vice-President. Also there were Captain Sims, the Base Commander, and Mrs. Sims, Colonel, and Mrs. Crisp, together with others from the Base.

"Welcome to Earth, Mister Ambassador. The President sends his apologies for not being here. He had a prior engagement which he was unable to break."

"Then I'm very pleased to be able to meet you, Mister Vice-President. I would like to present to you my staff: Torr Mersh, and Doctor Rand."

"You are all very welcome. The President has instructed me to offer you, and your party, the hospitality of the White House, until a suitable accommodation can be arranged. It occurred to the President that you might prefer to live in New York, close to the United Nations. There is a new building going up on the corner of East 46th street, and First Avenue that should be suitable."

"Thank you. You're right, of course, in that New York would prove to be a suitable base of operations.

"For now, though, you, and your associates are invited to the White House. The President may even be back there before we arrive. We have a plane waiting for us at the Air Force Base, next door."

"Sir," I put in, "The Space Service can get you there a whole lot quicker."

"Ah, yes. I suppose so. If you would be so kind, therefore, as to inform Air Force Two that we shall not now be requiring them."

"Yes, Sir." I turned to Brian Crisp, and said "Make it so."

"Aye aye, Sir," he said, as he turned, and departed at a brisk trot.

Meanwhile, I started to Introduce Kah to the Vice-President. Thinking what to say next, I was startled to hear Weem translate faultlessly for her father what I had just said to the Vice-President. I grinned to myself, and let Weem get on with it. Kah declined the offer to join the others at the White House, saying that I had invited him to stay with me.

Brian had not only informed Air Force Two of the change in travel plans, but had also had asked Voyager to produce a shuttle to act as Space Force Two. Arrangements were made for myself, and Kah to visit the White House the following day, and very soon the shuttle had departed for Washington.

After that, the rest of us adjourned to the Mess. The two Ensigns Crisp introduced Weem to their parents who were amazed at her grasp of the English language. They weren't the only ones. Kah looked totally shocked.

He turned to me, and said, "When did she learn how to speak your language?"

"I don't know," I told him, "perhaps your question should have been how did she learn it. The Ambassador, and his people provided us with machines that give an instant education. It's an effective method of learning, but it can be a bit disconcerting."

After a pleasant, and protracted dinner in the Mess, I took Kah home with me in an electric cart. Our baggage had been delivered while we were at dinner. After we had unpacked, we settled down in the living room. Kah was puzzled by the function of the television, until I turned it on, and demonstrated.

He had already seen a tablet computer, but when I showed him the internet on my desktop, you would have thought that he was loosing his mind.

At last he turned to me, and said, "I must learn your language, immediately. This is too much, now. If I could understand it, it would be overwhelming. I must learn. Please help me."

"Right, make yourself comfortable in this chair, while I fetch the educator. I wont be a moment."

When I returned with the educator, and the English module, Kah was concentrating on my television set.

"What was that all about?" he asked.

"That was a tale, presented as though it were really happening in front of you. It's just entertainment. Now look up while I fit this."

I placed the cap, connected to the educator, on his head. Then I moved the side table with the educator, to be directly in front of him. I then turned the television off before turning the educator on, and quietly left the room.

I returned a little while later, and helped Kah to disentangle himself from the educator.

"That was a very peaceful process," he said in English. "I think that I fell asleep."

I turned the television back on, and switched to a news program. Kah watched it with interest, and I could tell the exact moment when he realised that he was understanding the news reader. I chuckled as I watched his face express his emotions.

"That's amazing," he said, "but I think that I am now ready for bed."

The next morning, I contacted Brian, ordering him to report with Weem for the trip to Washington. I drove Kah, and myself to the Mess for breakfast. We were just at the toast stage when Brian, and Weem entered. I persuaded them to sit with us for a cup of coffee. They had already had breakfast at the Crisps'. Kah addressed his daughter in his newly acquired English. I was amused to see that she did not realise for about half a minute that he was no longer using his native language.

We finished up our breakfast, and left the Mess to board our shuttle. Fifteen minutes later, we were landing on the back lawn of the White House. We made our way to the Oval Office. As we passed her, the President's Secretary said, "Go in. They're waiting for you."

The Secret Service Agent on guard opened the door to the Oval Office for us, and we were greeted by, "Come in. Come in. We've been waiting for you."

With the President were the three Larsians, Bob Mather, and another man. Looking at him, I recognised the Secretary General of the United Nations. The President waved us in, indicating vacant seats. I sat with Kah, and Weem. Brian Crisp stood behind us.

The President said, "Admiral, please introduce us to your companions."

"Gentlemen, may I introduce you to Kah, the leader on the planet Osmum, in the Alpha Centaurus star system, and his daughter, Weem. They only use personal names on that planet, and not family names. That custom arose because their previous home world was destroyed by atomic warfare, and when they emigrated, they took people from both sides of the conflict. Kah, Weem, this is the President. He is the leader of our nation, a small part of this world. This gentleman is Robert Hooke, who is the Secretary General of the United Nations. That is an organisation representing all the people of Earth."

"I'm pleased to meet you," said the Secretary General, "but can you tell me where you fit in all this?"

"You might say that Weem, and I are your first interstellar tourists. We've come to your planet as your nearest neighbors, both physically, and culturally."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close