Per Astra Ad Galaxias
Chapter 3: Rannoc (Gliese 581 g)

Copyright© 2014 by normist

We loaded up the equipment that The Larsians were taking with them, in order to set up their Embassy near to the United Nations Building. They also provided a large number of educators amongst which they slipped in my personal drone equipment.

After rising well above the Larsian system we set course for Rannoc ... or as we know it, Gliese 581 g.

I had the best part of a month with nothing much to do, so I used the educator. Top of my list was the Rannoc language. After that were the customs, and laws of the Elder races. Kerl had advised me not to over-use the educator. I wasn't sure what he meant by over-use, and when I questioned him, he wasn't entirely sure himself. However, to play it safe, I limited myself to two modules a week.

To make my choices of modules, I browsed through a catalog of them. I noticed one with an intriguing title: 'Intelligence gathering'. it seemed an odd subject for a peaceful Federation. A footnote suggested that this module was restricted, and I resolved to ask Mersh what the restrictions were.

I was even more unsure after I had digested the module. It seemed that the administerial race's agents in an apprentice race had the responsibility for law, and order. In spite of the 'Introduction to the Galaxy', and its current ambiance of sweetness, and light, some dark corners still existed. Most of the plots, and insurrections described were far back in time, but it seemed that plots could still pop up. I thought that I might ask Mersh if there were any detailed accounts.

The next several days were taken up with writing my report for my Advisory Committee. I wondered how far I could go in teasing Doctor Gentry, who had turned out to be not quite the antagonist that he originally appeared to be. I also had to consider to what we had committed the Establishment, or even the whole of Earth. I wrote in my conclusions that we should recommend provisional acceptance of the role of apprenticeship, but to seek help before confirming the application.

I then consulted Kerl to discover what help we could expect.

"You see, Admiral, that the priority is to level the playing field, as your people put it. By that, I mean that living standards must be made much more similar over the whole of your world's population. That, in turn, means that the population must be severely reduced to a level that the planet can sustain. To achieve population reduction implies colonization of surrounding worlds. So further exploration will become a priority."

"Yes, that's obvious, but there's one question which puzzles me. In the past, man has preyed on lesser creatures that either stood in his way, or were in some way inimical to man. How can we know what to do on the worlds that we colonize?"

"That's a very intelligent question, and it's one to which there is no simple answer. Just bear in mind that you could be adversely affecting a potentially sentient species."

"Thank you. Changing the subject, how do see the idea of the wider galactic scene, being introduced to the peoples of Earth?"

"Almost certainly through the medium of the United Nations. We have already begun by surreptitiously assisting some of their agencies."

"How do you do that?"

"All sorts of ways. You will hear about some of them in due course. Now if you will excuse me, I think that its time for me to retire for the night. Good night."

I replied, "Good night," a bit uneasily as he left.

Ten days later we arrived at Rannoc. Mersh had given us the information we required in order to contact their spaceport, and to land there. As we descended, I thought that the spaceport looked relatively small. I mentioned this to Kerl, who told me that this was their passenger port, and therefore, their traffic was fairly light. A space port for freight existed elsewhere.

There was a small housing estate outside the port, and beyond that was parkland. A cheerful looking Larsian came on board to check us out. When he saw Kerl, they greeted each other like old friends. Kerl explained who we were, and that we had made our own way to Larse. Kerl said he was returning with us to speak with our world's leaders.

Our host looked thoughtful for a moment before saying, "Welcome to the world of Rannoc, Admiral. My name is Roas."

"My name is Bill, and any friend of Kerl's is a friend of mine."

"I suppose that your world is to be the next Apprentice world."

"To say that, might be a mite premature. The only people of mine that know of that possibility are those on this craft. Kerl is coming to our world to make the offer. He said that we should visit one of the elder worlds, first, in order to get some idea of what such an apprenticeship would involve. To see 'how the other half lives' as it were."

"Right, I'm afraid that I can't give you a guided tour myself. However, when I received Kerl's message, I sorted out some visits for you to cover over the next three days."

"Thank you."

"Kerl is going to be tied up with me for now, so that just leaves Mersh, and his colleague to guide you around."

"No," interrupted the Doctor, "I'm afraid not. Doctor MacTavish, and I are going to the hospital to show her some of our medical procedures. That will leave only Mersh. He can earn his keep, for once."

"Right Mersh," said Roas, "The Rannoc Museum of Comparative Cultures is expecting you, and the party of humans this morning."

Ah, Admiral, would you mind staying behind for a moment?" Asked Kerl.

"Of course not."

We watched as the two parties departed. The two ladies entered a much smaller version of the bus that the rest of the crew used. Turning to Kerl, I asked.

"What can I do for you, Kerl?"

"I wanted to talk to you about your studies. I hope that you have not been trying to absorb too much. It's easily done. How many subjects have you been studying?"

"Four, so far. I've been limiting myself to two per week."

"Good. We don't know yet what is your race's tolerance to too much study of that sort."

"I'll be getting a break from study when we reach Osmum. By the way, did your people discover the splinter group that we did?"

"No, to the best of my knowledge, we never did see them. I do recall seeing a report of a crashed space craft on one of the islands, but no survivors were seen. Now, Admiral, I think that I've kept you long enough. Roas has a small vehicle outside your craft. It will be an interesting experiment to see how you manage it without any instruction. May I also suggest that the Mulda Museum of Art would be a worthwhile place for you to visit."

"Thank you Kerl." I turned to Roas. "I hope my struggles with your vehicles don't give you too much amusement."

As I turned, and left them, I saw my ride by the ship. It was a completely enclosed, two-wheeled vehicle. I could see no handle to enter it. In fact, I could not even make out a door.

Thinking back to our travels on Larse, and using the language of Rannoc, I said, "Open, sesame."

"The side of the vehicle gaped open, and I climbed in. The vehicle shook slightly as it re-balanced due to my moving weight.

As I seated myself, I heard a voice proclaim, "I am not called Sesame. Where do you wish to go, Sir?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close