Last Night at the Last Chance Diner - Cover

Last Night at the Last Chance Diner

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

Chapter 25: There Was a Little Girl

Whispering words of comfort and love to her little Angel, Corinne's face seemed twenty years younger, unlined and at peace for the first time in twenty years. Had the other diners paid any attention, they would have seen a magical transformation moments before, as Corrine sloughed off the lifelong beatings, abuse, and neglect.

Her head turned towards the ceiling, searching for the source of a sound only she could hear. Somewhere far off, she thought she caught the sound of children laughing, playing, and singing sweet songs. Though the sound was quite lovely, it was so far away she couldn't make out the words, though she was charmed into silence by the sheer beauty of their voices.

Her cheeks were wet with tears she didn't know were falling. Her hands ceased to shake from the combination of drugs, alcohol, and hunger. Inside she knew she was being transformed, getting ready to go.

But...

... go where?

Then she heard a wonderful sound! It was peaceful!

Familiar ... beautiful!

Her ears shut out the diner's noise and focused on the lovely sound.

Why was the dining room changing colors?

How could she be looking up at a blue, summer, midday sky? It was the middle night in a terrible blizzard!

But...

She listened...

... and the sound began to come clearer.

Warmth????

Where did this beautiful warm air come from? "Oh, I'm warm. Finally I'm warm!" she said to no one. "God! I am warm! I feel it, God! I do!

I'm WARM."

Corrine noticed that even her tears felt warm...

"What tears?"

... and then she heard it more clearly.

That sound...

... the one she sought and couldn't quite identify.

It was laughter. She heard her own voice joining the laughter with indescribable joy. The warmth that suffused her entire soul burst from her in lovely laughter. Cheers of kindness, thanksgiving, and sweet release flowed out of her mouth as she merged into the bright sunshine...

... and into the arms of the Bright and Morning Son.

The soft earth became a luxurious carpet under her feet. Corrine skipped along a flowered path singing, crying, praying, and laughing all at once. In the pandemonium of praise, Corrine saw a swarm of butterflies floating on gossamer wings, circling the path ahead.

Her laughter exploded, as she chased them across a meadow that had suddenly appeared. The green grass was gentle under her feet as she skipped along toward her destination.

"I AM ALIVE!"

"I AM ALIVE," she cried without tears, speaking to no one, everyone, and The One.

"ALIVE. Do you understand what that means?

"Of course You do.

"You're Him.

"You're God.

"My God.

"My real, true, actual, maker.

"My God. My God. My God.

"You really hear me, don't you? You are close. So close that you hear me. After a lifetime when no one heard me at all, you really do hear my voice. Don't you?

"Do you really Love me that much?

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close