Last Night at the Last Chance Diner
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

The First Day

12:00:01 AM

Judith Sonderman finished her meal and, unwilling to brave the cold just yet, relaxed with a second cup of hot coffee. The late hour and satisfying meal started to have their inevitable effect on her, and weariness began to take its toll. She had enjoyed indulging herself, remembering Terry and how beautifully right their relationship had been. If only ... she thought, sadly. If only I hadn't rejected him so harshly. He might still like me enough to try again. The idea of simply picking up the phone and calling was overwhelmingly tempting, and giving it a little more thought, Judith decided to call him, on Christmas afternoon. Terry would certainly be at his parents' home tonight, and she felt way too scared to call there.

Just then, something caught her eye and she looked up. Carl was sitting transfixed, looking at something on the other side of the dirty, streaked window. She followed his gaze and saw the old man. Remembering the promise she had made to herself, to try to get him out of the cold, she felt terribly sad that he was trapped outside in the bitter snow and wind on Christmas.

Contemplating her blessings and feeling genuine sorrow for all those less fortunate, Judith was still watching when the old man began to glow. Not trusting her eyes, she stared in fascination as his ragged, dirty clothes were replaced by a shining, blindingly white robe that pulsed with its own energy source.

Imperceptibly, his appearance changed as the wild hair, unkempt beard, and stooped posture vanished.

Slovenliness was replaced with pure golden hair and the straightest posture she had ever seen. The years melted away, and what remained was a stunningly large, strong man. He was holding a sign so bright that the heat of its light should have burned his hands.

She started to cry out but was immediately comforted by strong arms, encircling her waist. Judith felt the soft breath through her hair and a heard a gentle voice in her ear, telling her that everything would be fine.

What was happening was clearly from another world. The hands holding her, however, belonged to her one true love in this world. Terry had found her on Christmas Eve, and he was here with her while this terrifying thing was happening. His words were loving and kind beyond imagination. She felt her heart leap as he repeated the first thing he'd said. This time, the second time he said it, it registered.

"I love you!" Those words cut across too many years, too many old fears, and too many tears to count. She heard the one thing that made all the difference, and for a moment she forgot about the drama playing out across the street.

Scared, stunned, and comforted, all at the same time, Judith clung to Terry as they exchanged tender words of devotion, but even being reconciled to her last great love was not enough to distract her completely from the events taking place across the street.

The old man, beautifully new again, had now produced a huge golden horn from beneath his robe and raised it to his lips. Pure energy coursed through him as he awaited some remote command to begin. His eyes were distant, looking far beyond this world for their authorization.

His hands vibrated on the eternal instrument as those with the courage to watch, waited. For an instant, certainly less than a second (although longer than a lifetime), the Angel's hands were stilled.

It was then that Judith saw the sign and clutched Terry more tightly.

The sign...

It never had said, "The End is Near." She understood that now. That had been a trick of the light and snow.

Anyone could plainly see that the sign announced, quite accurately, to all who were wise enough to heed it:

"THE END IS HERE!"

The End is Here.

It was time.

It was the time when all things would be revealed. She knew it. She just did. From forgotten sermons, delivered by forgotten preachers, she recalled enough to recognize this golden moment.

God had begun the culmination of all time. His plan, always obvious, was coming together at midnight on Christmas Eve in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania...

... and in Bethlehem in Judea...

... and in Moscow, Indonesia, and Afghanistan.

The End was here, and the Beginning had finally begun.

Judith and Terry were changed but, unsure how, they clung to one another awaiting whatever would come next, certain of their eternal devotion to God and to each other.

As the confusion built inside the diner, there was none for Judith and Terry. Hand in hand, they walked away from the things of this Earth and into the eternal, glorious sunrise.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close