If I Were the Last Man Alive - Cover

If I Were the Last Man Alive

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

Chapter 20: Lori's Story

As I talked, Jamie listened intently and only interrupted to occasionally comment in agreement. And when I finished, he remained silent a long time. I could tell he was thinking about what I'd told him.

Had I said too much or given him reason to distrust me? That notion frightened me.

Reliving the nightmare was exhausting. I had been through so many ups and downs, it was no wonder I felt tired.

We were now traveling in a waterway about a half-mile wide. When we started out, the river was well over a mile wide. I liked the smaller channel better. Jamie silently kept a close watch on the boat, and we stayed in the center of the river. As I wondered if he would ever speak to me again, he looked straight into my eyes and said, "It must have been so hard for you. I can't imagine going through what you did. My story is so boring compared to yours."

His expression softened and a smile formed at the edges of his mouth. "You are going to be amazed at my place when you see it tomorrow. I've got hot water, electricity from a generator, propane heat and a gas stove. The house is on a lake, and there's a fresh water spring in the yard that I've piped into the house. You'll love the way it is all set up. I promise.

"We'll go to the mall and get a brand new wardrobe for you before storm season ruins everything."

I nodded and forced myself to smile. As wonderful as it sounded, I wasn't sure I wanted to live in the same house with Jamie. After all, I hardly knew him — even if he and I were the only living beings on Earth.

He read my thought. "You need your privacy and it isn't going to work with us under the same roof. I think I have that figured out. You can live in the main house and I will move into the motor home which I can park in the driveway next door."

His voice cracked slightly as he continued. "Lori, you have no idea how grateful I am that you're here. Being with you gives me confidence that we can survive this." He ran his hand across his forehead and sighed. "Please don't disappear. I couldn't bear to be alone again."

I gently touched his arm. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm not. I'm not and I mean it. We're going to survive this." I didn't attempt to hold back my tears that spilled onto my cheeks. "You saved me! I wouldn't have lasted much longer. I knew it, and then you showed up and saved me." I wasn't ashamed of my tears. Jamie made me feel safe ... like the worst was over.


The houseboat was a great way to travel. By sitting on the top, I could see far ahead of us. Jamie pointed to a large dock on our right and indicated we were arriving in downtown Palatka. He said that was our destination for today. I detected buildings, but we were still too far away to make out much.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close