If I Were the Last Man Alive - Cover

If I Were the Last Man Alive

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

Chapter 7

On the eighth day, the instant I opened my eyes I knew that the day would be humid, hot and sticky. I dressed in shorts and a tee shirt then laid out my tools, hoses and pumps to build a water delivery system for the house.

It took a couple of hours to pipe my way out to the spring. As soon as the pipe was positioned just right, I hooked up the pump, wired it to the exterior outlet on the house and spliced that outlet to one of the generators. When I fired up the generator, water immediately rushed through the pipes and into the y-valve I installed into the house plumbing. The spring offered slight, positive water pressure, meaning the water pushed out into the pipes and towards the house without the need of a motor.

To have significant water pressure for things like washing and lawn irrigation, I needed a water pump. The natural positive water pressure wouldn't be able to push up sprinkler heads, much less offer sufficient water for showering or cleaning tasks.

At the hardware store I picked up all the makings for a water pump system. I needed a tank, motor, pressure valve and an assortment of this and that. The hardware manager thoughtfully kept it all in stock, so I completed the task without too much trouble.

Once I had water, I turned off the generator and set about plumbing in the solar hot water panel and tank. In just a little while I had it hooked into the system. Later I would install a set of windmills to pump without electricity, but in the meantime I could use the generator and backup solar system to provide household power.

Once the sun heated the hot water, it was dumped into a 60-gallon tank and plumbed right into the master bedroom shower, bypassing the rest of the system. I figured that was all I needed for a hot shower. Then I installed four rain barrels where the gutters came down to catch rainwater. I might need it for a garden, when I planted one, as well as for cleaning chores.

That shot the workday. I decided to limit the physical demands on my body by working about six hours a day. With a couple of long breaks and a meal, that made it an eight-hour work day, which seemed reasonable. So, when 4:30 rolled around, I showered, cleaned up and made other plans.

For entertainment, I rode the new bicycle into downtown looking for something different for dinner. I enjoyed riding around Winter Haven. The house was very close to shopping and the terrain was quite flat — good when peddling. It's a nice, little old-fashioned town with lots to look at. And I had nothing but time no

Supper was courtesy of a bakery, and I ate too much. I vowed to burn the calories on the ride home.

I found some nice cars complete with keys and moved them closer to my house for convenience. One was a classic 1968 Chevy Malibu with a hot engine and paint job. It wouldn't be much use for work, but I was sure going to look good behind the wheel.

After fueling and stowing the cars, I biked to the library and picked up some reading material. I filled the basket on my bike, which was easy since I rode the bike into the library

I took my time riding home and after checking the water system for leaks, I had another long, hot shower.

I settled down with a new book by lantern light on the lanai. I didn't read long and was asleep before 10 PM.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close