Leaving Babylon - Cover

Leaving Babylon

Copyright© 2014 by D. Cristwell

Chapter 3: The Laws of the Land

The Ten Commandments remained in force. This day was to be the Sabbath to keep because it was the day The LORD delivered them out of Babylon. It was also the seventh day after He created the new world. He called the days by their order, not by the names of the other world. The session explained the manual, and how the newcomers were to live in their home.

Single people lived apart from the other sex. Each man had a house to offer a future bride and each had an acre planted in a vegetable garden. The single women lived in a six-bedroom communal dwelling, with a shared kitchen, dining, and living areas. Each bedroom had a private bath, and it appealed to the designated six residents, all of whom were single by death, choice, or divorce.

The widows, Lena Martin, Caroline Estes, and Jennifer Cortez, had the choice of living in the community house, or having a small dwelling of their own. Lena chose the latter, and having been in the real estate profession Yeshua chose her as the one to see when newcomers came to town. Her office was in a centrally located stone building known as Town Hall.

There would also be a records keeper there, but no police or fire department, or any form of government. He assigned Allen to be the clerk, and keep the records of marriages, births, sales of livestock and property. Town Hall was across the city square, facing the temple. Around the square were several vacant storefronts.

Of the other widows, He selected Jennifer to be the senior advisor in the women's house. This amused another middle-aged female who remarked, "Is this to protect us from the men, or the men from us? Who would want an old cow for their wife?" One of the group chuckled at the remark, but Steve noticed that the video had paused.

"It is to protect you from yourselves, Caroline," said the angel in attendance.

The tutorial then explained, "When you sleep tonight, your bodies shall be healed and restored to their physical prime. There is no illness or death here, except that inflicted upon one another. Murder is punishable by banishment, and vengeance shall belong to The LORD. Thieves and adulterers go to an unknown realm to wander until they truly repent. The LORD alone will decide that penance.

"All shall maintain the gardens, and trade with their neighbors. Juan will know who has what to offer, and arrange the trades. Each will take an inventory of their produce, livestock, and other items of need. All have more than one needed skill to fill your workdays. It is partly why God chose each of you to be here.

"This is your pastor, and his family." The camera zoomed in on Steven Andrews. "In addition to weddings and baptism, Steven is also a builder, teacher, and gardener. His wife is Patricia, a nurse, teacher, and musician. The children, Joshua and Sarah are learning from the parents.

"Next, we have Allen, a computer specialist, whose skills are not needed in that capacity here. However, as a writer, he and Magdalena will gather news of the community, and print a newspaper. Allen is also a pilot, and after he is familiar with our flying conveyances, he will undertake exploration of the new land.

"Magdalena was a realtor in her old life, and among her tasks is property transactions and placement. She is also a published author of two travel guides and another one about resettling in a strange country. Allen and Lena, as she prefers, will make a good team, gathering knowledge and distributing information for those who come later.

"Juan is an agricultural trade broker from Santiago. Although there are more kinds of fruit and vegetables growing here than in the old world, he will learn what each is. If you have questions about your garden or trees, ask Juan."

The screen then showed a single tree in a clearing across the stream. "Of this tree, thou shall not touch, or eat thereof, lest you then die. Learn it well, and avoid it."

"The tree of knowledge of good and evil," reasoned Steve.

"You already know of good and evil, Steven," said the angel. "What you see is there to tempt you. It is The LORD's concession to the fallen one. It will cause an end to this existence to come upon one who dares touch or eat the fruit. God expects you all to obey. It is your future children that you must teach in His ways."

"Future children?" asked Melissa, the woman who became sick when they arrived. "Most of us are a little past child bearing age, and I don't want someone else's leftovers. Allen seems like a decent man, but there is a reason that his wife turned his children against him. Juan I have no clue about and the same with the rest. If they are great husband material, why are they now single? If they are divorced, it is probably for cheating on their wife."

"I am widowed," said an older man. "My wife died of cancer in 1997, and I chose not to remarry."

"I'm Ken Sanger, and I never married because of women like her that hate men," said another man. "They ridiculed me, and called me a mama's boy because I stayed to care for my ailing mother until she died. If I never marry, it will suit me fine, and no, I am not gay."

The video again stopped. It again repeated the part about their bodies regenerating while they slept. The angel told them that the more they interrupted, the longer it will take, and they had eternity if needed. He introduced the others, and their skill sets, but only by their first names.

"None of you have the same first name, and you need no surname until you marry. As Steven and Patricia are married, their name shall reflect his trade as Pastor. The children may also choose when they take up a craft. As for the suitability of mates, anyone here has passed this test in The LORD's eyes, and morning will reveal a new outlook on this."

The film ended, and the orientation angel then assigned their quarters. With seven single women, and six unattached men, it presented the possibility of jealousy. That was likely even among the men, especially if everyone were desirable in their prime. With age of the adults being between 35 and 70, no one dared imagine what the younger versions might look like.

"There is no darkness of night here," the angel explained. "The light is from The Creator who dwells among us. Now, if you will join Him in the Fellowship Hall, we will dine."

In the Fellowship Hall, they found a large almost square wooden table with benches around it. Plates, eating utensils, a glass of fruit juice, and a nametag marked each person's seat. Lena sat to Allen's right, and the bitter Melissa to his left. To her left sat the elderly widower, James. To his left was Jennifer, and to hers was Kenneth's place.

"Excuse me," said James. "They said we'll get new bodies, but I still have mine, and I have trouble stepping over the bench. May I please switch places with someone?"

"I'll switch with him," offered Ken, and Yeshua nodded in approval.

"Fine by me," replied Melissa, glancing over at Allen, and letting out an audible sigh. "I see bread, juice and place settings, but where's the food?"

Yeshua pointed to the ceiling, and said, "First, we bless the meal, and then it will appear so we can eat. Steven, I believe you had a prayer pending."

"I do," he answered, and began. "Most gracious Heavenly Father, we give thanks for our salvation on this day. Comfort those we have left behind on Earth, and bless this meal, and all who partake of its bounty. Let us all work together for a new world that does your will to further your kingdom, amen."

Two angels brought in a long rolling cart and from it served everyone a garden salad with olive oil dressing. There was little conversation, and Caroline picked at the multi-colored leafy components. Those who tried it found it to be delicious, and invigorating, as did she when she ate the first bite.

"It's different," remarked Juan, "but I've never had better."

"That it is," concurred Allen. "I offer my compliments to the Founder of this feast."

"You are very welcome," replied Yeshua. "You may speak, become friends, or ask questions."

"What's with the man who got sent back?" asked Steve. "The angel said he wasn't supposed to be here."

"There he is," answered Yeshua, "The other Mark Smith on the flight. Come in Mark, and join us for dinner. Mark is a taxidermist, sculptor, mold maker, and tanner by trade."

"What will we need things stuffed for?" countered Melissa. "Taxidermy is a matter of who caught the biggest whatever, and showing it off."

"While we will not need our deer heads mounted over the fireplace," noted Yeshua, "it is important to preserve specimens for study, and tan leather. We will eventually have a museum to teach our generations about all of the wildlife found here. Trophies reflect pride, and pride is what causes us to sin, but taxidermy has a purpose here. You will all need shoes and other items made from leather."

"Howdy," said Mark. "I was at another town, and someone named Raphael brought me here just now. I'm originally from Livingston, Montana, but I had a job working at the Museum of Natural History in Santiago."

"Where was the other town?" asked Juan. "Did they speak Spanish, or maybe even Portuguese?"

"Whoa there, Podner," replied Mark. "I don't know, and I don't know; but I do know I didn't belong there. Just before I left, this dude in a suit arrived, complaining about missing some important business meeting. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was hell's waiting room."

"His name was Marcus Smith, and he was across the aisle from me on the plane in 24F," revealed Sonia, at heavy-set Chilean matron in her 40's. "He constantly flirted with the flight attendants, always bragging about being a multi-millionaire. I was relieved to learn he wasn't to be part of our town."

"He is among us no more," said Yeshua, "nor shall we speak of him by name. He is lost to us, and all his wealth on the old earth is divided among his heirs, and business partners. We are here to begin anew." He nodded, and another cart arrived with the main course, a fish filet that appeared to be salmon, a bean dish, and sautéed mixed vegetables. "Enjoy our Sabbath feast, for when the morning bell rings, you will continue the orientation process."

"We have a morning bell?" asked Juan.

"I believe you call it an alarm clock, but it will ring at 6:30 so that you may eat, and dress for the day," advised Yeshua. "There is a fruit basket in every home, and once you learn about the voice activated appliances, you will cook your own meals."

"How do you use a voice actuated appliance?" wondered Ken.

"You pray that it works," countered James in jest. "I had a car like that once."

"Very good, Brother James," replied Yeshua. "Our most basic technology is millenniums beyond what your old world possessed. You will take a guide on your way to your homes that will explain how everything works. Once you can access the video display, a tutorial will answer any questions about the homes, and our new world that you have."

"That sounds like the logical place to begin," said Allen. "Are we computerized here?"

"You have said yourself that computers are not God's domain," recalled Yeshua. "We all know that computers from your world stop working, and confound people. Our devices have no parts to break, wear out, or frustrate you. They are powered by God, who never fails."

"Now that's awesome," applauded Allen. "Working on and with computers is the most stressful thing I ever did. Hallelujah, praise The LORD, and thank you."

The dinner turned into a get acquainted session, with Melissa vying for Allen's attention from his deaf ear side. His inability to hear her had him turning to face her to hear with his right ear. This irked Lena some, but not as much as it bothered Allen that he had to face away from her to hear what Melissa said. To make matters worse, Ken carried on a conversation with James and Jennifer, ignoring Melissa to his right.

"Well, I hope your rejuvenation fixes your ear," said Melissa on her way out.

"I do too, but that's up to God," noted Allen. "Bye."

"I'm real curious to see what everyone looks like in the morning," continued Melissa. "I can't believe she'd try to shoot you just because you refused to divorce her, you should be glad she is gone."

"Well I believe in forgiveness," replied Allen. "Trust is another matter, and she would have to earn my trust."

"That's the difference between us," countered Melissa. "You obviously lack confidence."

"I didn't want to be alone, and I truly believed that I could win her back. You're less forgiving, I take it."

"Ron cheated on me once, and found his things on the front steps in the rain, and the locks changed. I caught him with her, so why listen to his lying excuses?" Melissa turned again to leave. In parting she said, "I can't imagine why you want to keep a woman who cheats on you and rubs your face in it."

"I have my faults too," said Allen, "but chasing other women isn't one of them. All have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God. I figured she was my punishment for my sins."

"Lena, if you want this one, he's all yours," offered Melissa. "I can't deal with a wimp, or a mama's boy. Good night everyone; see you mañana."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close