Preservation and Protection, Book 4
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

George stood up slowly and said, "Folks, we have talked about this before. The threat is real and it forecloses our use of Houston's resources. That presence is a problem for anyone coming to Houston who isn't evil. That means we don't grow. I told you when I was elected as leader earlier this year that I wanted us to act on this threat. We now have guests who might not have made it to us had they not been very able and had the plane to avoid any other parts of that Houston gang." He stopped and looked around.

As I looked around, too, it became obvious to me that the people knew he was right but didn't know how to go about working the situation through. I stood and said, "Folks, my husband, Robby, is former military. Also, we all have led groups to end the type of situation that exists in Houston. If you will follow George's recommendation and go after them, we will help you." That seemed to motivate them.

Discussion of how and when began and a consensus was quickly reached. There would be three groups from Port Lavaca. George and his sons would lead one group while Robby and I would lead a second. Bennie and Pam would fly the plane. The plan would be to enter the area and try to take parts at a time. The intent was to throw off any defense by hitting in two places at the same time. We would coordinate with radios and the plane to be able to support the groups and to attack strong points with strength. The Lavacans knew that the Houston folk had some rudimentary radios but that they were not able to get them to work consistently.

Two mornings later, the fight for Houston began with a slow ride north into the suburbs. Bennie and Pam flew high over us watching for movement. Pam advised me that they saw a roadblock up ahead but it didn't seem to be manned. It was in our line and we approached it warily. Pam was correct. It was deserted. Pam then sent a message to George's group that she saw a roadblock in their path that did appear to be manned.

George approached it ready to fight if they wouldn't surrender. He quickly realized that the people at the roadblock were looking toward Houston and were more alarmed than he was. He approached them with his rifle slung and his right hand raised. They greeted him and told him that they had been heading toward Houston when they were attacked. They had stopped here and fortified while they figured out what to do. Their initial fear was that they would be caught between two enemies. George quickly noticed that women played a prominent part in their leadership and fighting force. He asked for one of their leaders to join him at the radio.

Cathy came on the radio and heard Pam say, "George, there is a group approaching you from the Houston area in trucks and SUV's. They are probably four minutes out. Over."

Cathy was surprised but at George's urging said, "This is Cathy with George. We are joining you folk for the fight. Thanks for the warning."

"You're quite welcome, Cathy. I'm Pam in the plane with Bennie. Two of my other spouses are leading the other group. Come in, Janice."

"This is Janice. Welcome to the fight, Cathy. I look forward to meeting you in person after this is over. Get ready folks. We can bend around them if needed, George."

Cathy said to George, "Wow! You sound very organized."

George said, "Those four and their other spouse, Melissa, are powerhouses. You'll like them.

"Now, let's prepare a reception for the Missioners from Houston."

"We had heard rumors of them. They're real?"

"Very real. Our new friends ran into a group of them at the Bush Airport. The Missioners lost badly. For nice folks, they are tough. One of the two husbands is leading the other group and the other is flying the plane." Cathy looked a little surprised.

George shouted, "Folks, mount up! Company's coming! We'll give them one quick chance to surrender before we start taking them out. They cannot be allowed to retreat."

Pam came over George's HT. "George, there are four vehicles; two pickups and two SUV's heading your way. It looks like about twenty total. They are armed and one minute away, now."

"Janice, go another block and stop. Your street seems clear but we can't see just one guy. I don't think George will need help but stand by."

One of the new folks waved a white flag and was shot at. He ducked down and George had two men open up with anti-tank missiles. Robby had explained carefully that they must aim for the engine blocks. That was the only mass of metal large enough to stop the projectiles. The shooters remembered their lessons though weren't very accurate yet. While the first shot went through the windows of the front pickup, it hit a frame member on the second one and exploded. That truck lost all its occupants. The first truck careened off the road and rolled over. Gunfire erupted from the roadblock and those men died.

The SUV that was third was hit next and exploded with no survivors. The final SUV stopped and all the men in it bailed out shooting. Gunfire from the roadblock was fierce and only two made it to cover.

George started his group forward carefully checking for survivors and watching for the two they knew had survived thus far. Calls were made for the Missioners to surrender. One man dropped his rifle and surrendered. The other rose to shoot and was shot himself. That ended the first fight.

George came on the air, "Pam, we have accounted for all of them. We will start moving forward in two minutes."

Robby and I started their group moving again also and traveled forward for a minute before hearing Pam warn us of a single truck coming our way. The truck came into the ambush and stopped before my topless form. I said, "Guys, you should have been watching the sides and not my boobs. You are surrounded. Surrender is now your only smart move."

They were smart and turned the truck's motor off. They slowly exited the truck and raised their hands. I covered up and walked up to them. "Boys, where were you going?"

One of them said, "We heard gunfire and were riding down to check it out."

The other said, "I don't see anyone else. I think you're lost from a group and unarmed. Why don't I take you prisoner?"

I replied, "Actually, there are two reasons. First, I can take you unarmed. Second, I'm not bluffing about having a group covering me. However, you can give it a try. I'll try not to hurt you too badly."

That stopped him for a moment but then he came toward me. When he reached for me, I took him down and he fell hard. I said, "You must have tripped. Do you want to try again?"

He had managed to get to his hands and knees, coughing. He shook his head. I said, "Robby, come on out. We have four who are eager to talk to you though one had to learn the hard way."

Robby came out and said, "I'm Robby Cook-Thomas, one of Janice's spouses. As you found, she doesn't bluff.

"Help him up, guys." Two men reached down and pulled him to his feet. The men were searched and relieved of their weapons.

Robby said, "Now, let's have a little chat. If you talk willingly, it will pleasant. If Janice or I think you're lying, then you will find the experience very unpleasant.

"Now, we would like your stories and knowledge about the placement of the rest of you Missioners."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close